Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small coolant leak and am wondering if i can replace it with the same type I use in my cars after the repair. THX fer ur help ya'll!!!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I have a small coolant leak and am wondering if i can replace it with the same type I use in my cars after the repair. THX fer ur help ya'll!!!
Dunno, mine's aircooled. But there is likely an exact specification for coolant for your bike and mixing coolant types could be very bad for your cooling system. A friend mixed different types in his car and it blew the water pump in just a few months. Suggest you see what the dealer recommends and now might be a good time to drain and fill the entire system, after you fix the leak of course.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Anti-freeeeeeeze

OK a strait anwser:

Ethylene glycol: This is the normal anti-freeze used in almost all engines. The Different colored anit-freeze is just that a different color. The manufactures use different colors to show that it is coolant. It is poison afterall. That's why it's a rediculous color. Who want to drink nuclear waste. Use this in your bike mixed 50/50.

Propylene glycol: they use this in everything else that they don't want to freeze and could come in contact with people. pipes, a/c, ect....

OR........... You could: READ THE OWNERS MANUAL.

And yes you can mix different colored coolants as long as there the same chemical make up. Color doesn't matter unless it's long life anti freeze and you can only put long life with long life IT'S SOMETIMES CALLED: ELC and it's usually brite pink

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here it is:

At least for Honda motorcycles. Coolants do more than prevent freezing and protect from overheating. They also protect from corrosion. Traditional automotive coolant contains silicates as part of its anti-corrosive additive mix. It appears that silicates (abrasive in nature) damage the Honda water-pump seals. There have been a spate of Honda water-pump failures that typically occur within one year of having replaced the OEM coolant with silicate-based automotive coolant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts