Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and ducati's, but I have the money and I'm looking to purchase a monster of some discription.

The machines I'm looking at are 1. 1999 Ducati 750 Monster Dark with 53,000km or 32,932 miles and another with 43,000km or 26,718miles.

Pretty much any Monster in my price range has around this many km/miles

Am I buying a lemon with this many km/miles? Am I just asking for trouble buying a machine with this much road time? or would this ducati give me many more years of pleasure as an everyday ride?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Depends on the age of the bike. With a more recent bike, mileage doesn't much matter--especially high mileage. High mileage on a newish bike is most likely highway, which doesn't wear down the components much at all.

I'd be worried about any bike with less than 4,000 miles per year on it. Bikes that sit, just like cars, tend to have problems due to rust buildup, short trips, condensation, and seals which have dried, among other reasons.

With older bikes, you (generally) want to stay away from low mileage ones unless you're looking for a garage queen and very high mileage ones. After all, time takes its toll--so you want one which didn't sit too much, but didn't see too many miles.

All of this, of course, assumes proper care/maintenance.

That 750 with 32k miles sounds to me like it wasn't quite ridden enough, but the other one has even fewer miles (only 2,671 per year!).

They're close enough that you should simply go with whichever one seems to be in better condition and not worry about miles. Personally, I'd prefer a 1999 to have more mileage on it (assuming equal condition).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply I was under the impression that a "garage queen" would be better value, but i didn't take into account that build up/rust problems you highlighted. I'm leaning towards the higher km/miles one at this stage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't buy any bike with over 15,000 miles on it. I especially wouldn't buy a Ducati with a lot of miles on it. The high cost of maintenance, coupled with the extremely high cost of parts, I would assume that a lot of people would be kind of lax to put a lot of money into regular maintenance. You never know how someone has treated the bike, so with fairly low miles, at least that is a good sign. Plus I know how I ride, and my friends ride, and we beat the **** out of the bikes. Anything I've ever owned was getting pretty loose at 20,000 miles, and I don't keep any bike with over 60,000, I either trade them in or unload them cheap.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your imput. What kind of cost would I be looking at for a normal services / normal problems for a ducati?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Eye, I work on my own stuff, so I'm not sure about the costs of the work they would do, although I have a 4 valve S4, I've heard that they want between $800 and $1200US (depending on what it needs) for a major service/valve adjustment. That is harsh. So I'm going to do it myself. What's the worst I could do? F it up? If so, I'll start over and do it again! A rear fender for my bike (got blown up when it broke the chain) was quoted at between $305 and $365 for the same one that was on it, so I guess it isn't getting replaced. But I knew this coming in, so it really isn't a surprise. So far it's been reliable, it had 12,000 mi on it when I got it in Feb, now it's about 16,000, at 18,000 I'm going inside to see how things look.

Good luck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 98 M750 and it has done 125,000klm and still going strong, I do the servicing myself its not hard, so learn to do it your self and save the money.

Cheers
Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts