Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I take off my fender? Something is rubbing when I brake heavily and I don't like it anyway.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
The fender doesn't/shouldn't move when braking, but it's your bike, so tear away.
You might consider not riding in the rain without it.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
also, be VERY careful about brakeline routing. front tires like to eat brakelines.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
derby said:
also, be VERY careful about brakeline routing. front tires like to eat brakelines.
My only theory at the moment is that the brake line is pulling the fender towards it when I brake. Basically when I brake at about 70% of maximum, I get a buzz/rubbing sound that increases and decreases in proportion to the amount of G's I am braking at.

???

Does it make a real difference in the rain? On the highway in the rain?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
it''s just harder to clean if you ride in the rain without it.... and you'll probably get spray up in your helmet, and that sucks.

·
Registered
541 Posts
highway no....everything else front tire flings a stream of water in your face.....you get used to it...doesn't bother me.....damn front fenders, damn them all.

I'm about to sell two fenders stock and sbk...interested? ;D

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paper5tr3et7 said:
highway no....everything else front tire flings a stream of water in your face.....you get used to it...doesn't bother me.....d**n front fenders, d**n them all.

I'm about to sell two fenders stock and sbk...interested? ;D
I think I'll give it a try without fenders. Darks look better the dirtier they get imho.

I think it will look good with clip-ons, tail-chop, and shortened stock cans.

·
Registered
541 Posts
sausage creature said:
I think I'll give it a try without fenders. Darks look better the dirtier they get imho.

I think it will look good with clip-ons, tail-chop, and shortened stock cans.
I'm 2 for 3...i like the beer tray.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paper5tr3et7 said:
I'm 2 for 3...i like the beer tray.
I love it when the rear wheel extends out further than the seat/frame. The original design is great too though.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Are you sure it's not just the sound of the drilled rotors? If your brake bads are worn, uneven, or installed incorrectly they can make the sound your describing.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Count Desmo said:
Are you sure it's not just the sound of the drilled rotors? If your brake bads are worn, uneven, or installed incorrectly they can make the sound your describing.
actually, the pads don't have to be anything to produce a whirring type sound under braking conditions, the rotors will produce that sound with everything perfectly fine (bonus! aftermarket rotors make slightly different pitched sounds [cheeky]).

I would check the points at which the lines touch the fender, etc and see if you're *actually getting some kind of rubbing that would explain a sound loud enough for you to hear under braking.

If there's rubbing occurring that you don't like, I would first loosen the headlight U-bracket that clamps down on the line and try readjusting the line a bit and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
hiero said:
actually, the pads don't have to be anything to produce a whirring type sound under braking conditions, the rotors will produce that sound with everything perfectly fine (bonus! aftermarket rotors make slightly different pitched sounds [cheeky]).
Yep, I know. I assumed this was an unusual sound--somehow different from the standard "whirring" sound. :angel:

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
ducpainter said:
The fender doesn't/shouldn't move when braking, but it's your bike, so tear away.
You might consider not riding in the rain without it.
Interesting that DP would say this when he's running an SS fender ;D

So am I. The SS and SBK fenders offer some protection to the chromed fork sliders. The stocker doesn't so losing that is just a matter of road spray.

Believe me; rechroming the sliders is a stupid PITA and major expense :p

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'd say wiring. I'm not sure what cable it was, I think the speedo, but there was a rather large diameter cable with a loop sticking out from under my headlight that would push on the front fender when I braked hard and this would cause the fender to rub on the tire and make a rubbing sound. At first I didn't think it was this cable since it didn't look like it was anywhere close to touching the fender when I was off the bike. I had my dad sit on the bike and he weighs a good 50lbs more than me and that's when I noticed how close it got. I re-routed the cable and the noise went away.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
erkishhorde said:
I'd say wiring. I'm not sure what cable it was, I think the speedo, but there was a rather large diameter cable with a loop sticking out from under my headlight that would push on the front fender when I braked hard and this would cause the fender to rub on the tire and make a rubbing sound. At first I didn't think it was this cable since it didn't look like it was anywhere close to touching the fender when I was off the bike. I had my dad sit on the bike and he weighs a good 50lbs more than me and that's when I noticed how close it got. I re-routed the cable and the noise went away.
I think this is the problem. I'll reduce the slack. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts