Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What "category" of bike is the Monster in? I have a Harley guy and Victory chick at work that keep calling my bike a sport bike. I tell them it's not a sportbike and they say it is because it's not a cruiser or a touring bike. I just say it's not a sportbike because I have a CBR and it's definitely not a sportbike. Of course they say, "well, what is it then?" I just say the Monster is in its own category. :D

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
What "category" of bike is the Monster in? I have a Harley guy and Victory chick at work that keep calling my bike a sport bike. I tell them it's not a sportbike and they say it is because it's not a cruiser or a touring bike. I just say it's not a sportbike because I have a CBR and it's definitely not a sportbike. Of course they say, "well, what is it then?" I just say the Monster is in its own category. :D
In reality, yes, you do. It's a naked sportbike, and although it is not a "race replica" like the 600cc class supersports and 1000cc class superbikes, it is capable of and intended primarily for sporting riding, as opposed to touring or cruising.

For insurance purposes, no; it's a "standard". ;)

It isn't really in a class by itself any more; there is a whole mess of sporty standards, or naked sportbikes, these days -- the Ducati Monster and StreetFighter, MV Agusta Brutale, Triumph Speed Triple and Street Triple, Aprilia Tuono and Shiver, Benelli Tornado, Kawasaki Z1000 and ER-6, Suzuki B-King and SV1000 and SV650, Yamaha FZ1 and FZ6, Honda CB1000R (coming soon), Buell 1125CR, BMW K1200R, Moto Guzzi Griso 8V, Harley XR1200, at a minimum. There are other bikes that could arguably be included as well.

PhilB

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In reality, yes, you do. It's a naked sportbike, and although it is not a "race replica" like the 600cc class supersports and 1000cc class superbikes, it is capable of and intended primarily for sporting riding, as opposed to touring or cruising.

For insurance purposes, no; it's a "standard". ;)

It isn't really in a class by itself any more; there is a whole mess of sporty standards, or naked sportbikes, these days -- the Ducati Monster and StreetFighter, MV Agusta Brutale, Triumph Speed Triple and Street Triple, Aprilia Tuono and Shiver, Benelli Tornado, Kawasaki Z1000 and ER-6, Suzuki B-King and SV1000 and SV650, Yamaha FZ1 and FZ6, Honda CB1000R (coming soon), Buell 1125CR, BMW K1200R, Moto Guzzi Griso 8V, Harley XR1200, at a minimum. There are other bikes that could arguably be included as well.

PhilB
Interesting...No wonder my phone call to my insurance agent wasn't so smooth when I added the Monster to my policy. I answered "no" to all her, "Is it cruiser? Is it a sportbike? etc".

It feels nothing like my 600RR. Almost like two completely different bikes in my opinion. I bought a half helmet today and the harley guy at work asked me if that's going to look okay with my sportbike. Anyone else here rockin' the half helmet? Am I going to look like a tool wearing this? lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would say the Monster is a standard, or naked sportbike, or cafe racer, or hooligan bike. They are really all of the above. Just decide which relates to you the most.

And yes, you will look like a tool with a half helmet on. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Unless it is a Davida. The rest certainly make you a tool. But what the hell, enjoy it.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
Interesting...No wonder my phone call to my insurance agent wasn't so smooth when I added the Monster to my policy. I answered "no" to all her, "Is it cruiser? Is it a sportbike? etc".

It feels nothing like my 600RR. Almost like two completely different bikes in my opinion. I bought a half helmet today and the harley guy at work asked me if that's going to look okay with my sportbike. Anyone else here rockin' the half helmet? Am I going to look like a tool wearing this? lol
Many (but not all) insurance companies classify the Monster and similar bikes as "standards", not "sportbikes". Which, although many of them are high performance bikes, actually does make sense, as the source of most sportbike claims is exactly the fairings, which are (a) expensive, (b) easily damaged, and (c) tempting to thieves. An example: a few years ago at a worksite, a truck backed into the motorcycle parking area and knocked over two bikes -- my Monster and a GSXR750. Both bikes were damaged on both sides (the truck side and the ground side). Cost to repair: my bike $75, the Gixxer $1500.

Sure the Monster doesn't feel like a 600RR. And a Harley V-Rod doesn't feel like a Springer Softail doesn't feel like a hardtail chopper doesn't feel like a V-Max, etc -- yet they are all cruisers. And a Gold Wing doesn't feel like a Ducati ST4 doesn't feel like a Concours 14 doesn't feel like an ElectraGlide, etc. -- yet they are all touring bikes. Each field covers some pretty wide ground.

And I hope that your half-helmet is still a real helmet, not one of those useless brain buckets with no styrofoam layer that the Harley guys in helmet law states wear. If it is one of those useless "novelty helmets", then not only will you look like a tool, you are risking your head almost as much as wearing no helmet at all. If, OTOH, it is a DOT approved actual helmet, just open face, then you're a lot better off. I have one of those also, although I don't wear it often. Mostly for either really short errands, or for when I'm on one of the vintage bikes or scooters and want to rock a matching vintage look.

PhilB

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And I hope that your half-helmet is still a real helmet, not one of those useless brain buckets with no styrofoam layer that the Harley guys in helmet law states wear. If it is one of those useless "novelty helmets", then not only will you look like a tool, you are risking your head almost as much as wearing no helmet at all. If, OTOH, it is a DOT approved actual helmet, just open face, then you're a lot better off. I have one of those also, although I don't wear it often. Mostly for either really short errands, or for when I'm on one of the vintage bikes or scooters and want to rock a matching vintage look.

PhilB
Yeah, it's a real one one. Bought some tinted goggles to go with it. I guess I'm taking it back. Thought it'd be nice for summer weather, but I guess I need a Monster Fashion 101 course. lol I know what looks good with on my CBR at least. ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I will be getting something similar to a Fulmer open face, 70's style metal flake this season because mine has a bit of a retro cafe racer look. We have a vintage bike night here so it's just a fun ride kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
To an Insurance Company if it doesn't go over 125Mph it's not a sportbike
That's been my experience.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
It's not that half helmets look dumb, it's that they don't protect your head.
One that is a real DOT-rated helmet *does* protect your head and brain; it just doesn't protect your face. So I'd call it 75% as good as a full helmet; it does the most important thing.

Every insurance company has its own way of deciding what goes in what category; they get to make up their own rules, and they are all different. That's why it's important to shop around and get many quotes. When I first got my Monster, it was a new model, and some insurance companies knew what it was and called it a "standard", while others didn't and called all Ducatis "sportbikes". So quotes for full coverage of the same parameters ranged from about $500 to about $1700 a year, depending mainly on what category that company put the bike in.

PhilB

·
Banned
39 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL, I just received this one today. Thought it matched my bike perfectly with the white strip on top. Got it for longer trips on the highway...

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts

I wear a half helmet with riding glasses on my monster and I look like a mean SOB. I think they fit the monsters just fine. Just no dew rags or skull face masks. Those are really goofy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I almost bought my vintage Nexx with the white down the center!
Very cool with the black and white.
It's a great helmet.
I haven't seen it yet. Tracked it from my phone and it shows delivered. Pretty excited to check it out when I get home. Hopefully no one took it off my porch...

·
Registered
227 Posts
I havent tried it yet but I know my 1100 will go over 125 I was going 100 the other day in 4th no problem with rpms and 2 gears left. I know the specs say 125 is the top speed but I find that doubtful, probably closer to 140mph... Ummm anyone tried yet?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I havent tried it yet but I know my 1100 will go over 125 I was going 100 the other day in 4th no problem with rpms and 2 gears left. I know the specs say 125 is the top speed but I find that doubtful, probably closer to 140mph... Ummm anyone tried yet?
Fastest I've gone so far in the 1-2 weeks I've owned SR2 1000 is only 90 mph. The wind at that speed is pretty bad on this bike. I could hit 100 in 2nd gear on my CBR :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts