Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. Have a dumb question. Do Ducatis, like my M695, of which I am still breaking in, so I have kept it under 5,500 - 6,000 rpm, although theres no redline on the tach (that way they can use the same instrement pod on all of the Monsters), have rev limiters on there engines? Can't find that information anywhere, but I would think that they do. The cars I have had have had rev limiters, ether the ignition would cut off or the fuel injection would shut down. It was great in a 325i BMW I drove - nail it in first gear, let the rev limiter kick in, and grab second. Anyone know about Ducatis?

Thank You,

Brian F.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I wouldn't really call it a rev limiter, it's more like a kick in the guts. [laugh] Seriously though, it's a pretty strong cut in power and will obviously cut in at different RPMs depending on which bike you have. I'm not sure where the 695 limiter cuts in, sorry.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
When you find it it'll be unforgettable! I felt like I was going over the bars the 1st time I hit mine!! (of course I was nowhere near going over the bars but was a big surprise to say the least.)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
From running my 695 on the dyno, it seems the limiter (or redline fuel cut) is at 8700rpm.

BTW- rereading your edited post. You should never shift gears in a car using the redline fuel cut as the indicator. You dont get the best acceleration time, you are starving the engine of fuel for a second, and youre out of your powerband anyway. Also, each gear should be shifted at a different rpm range based on ratios. In my BMW for instance I shift out of second about 200rpm sooner into third than I did from 1st into second. On the 695 the peak hp is made around 8500 so shift then or before then, dont wait for your face to slam the tank.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You everyone - looking forward to getting the bike broke in so I can find it myself.

Brian F.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Why yes, yes they do! I found out mine is somewhere around 9500k. Computer cuts fuel and bike sputters. Not a happy place to be.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Not sure why everyone makes a big deal about the feel of the revlimiter. Mine kicks in at 8600 rpm and I hit it daily. Sometimes 5 to 6 times during a fast ride. It feels just like every other revlimiter I've hit.

I just hit it easier with the Duck because I'm used to in-line 4's with a much higher redline. With my Duck, that 8600 just seems to come out of nowhere. I've only got 3000 miles on this thing so I'm sure I'll get used to the low engine speed and short-shifting. Power band is really short on a Duck. My bike has to stay above 3500 or it has no power and vibrates your teeth out of your mouth. The revlimiter kicks in at 8600. That only leave a teeny tiny 5000 rpms to play with......short shifting like riding a Harley :)

Ha ha ha, I may bust on my Duck, but it's my favorite out of all I've owned :)

Tom

·
Registered
544 Posts
M695 Army Man said:
Thank You everyone - looking forward to getting the bike broke in so I can find it myself.

Brian F.
Don't relish hitting the rev limiter. On the softer sprung bikes (like my s2r 800 dark) hitting the rev limiter is not fun. Under heavy acceleration they squat, so you have to pull yourself up with the bars and push forward with your legs. When you hit the rev limiter the acceleration stops, the spring unloads, and you nearly launch/pull yourself over the bars.

P.S. @ 215 I'm about 40lbs to heavy for the stock kit :p It's probably worse for me than most.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
The rev limiter on my 695 kicks out at about 9200 indicated on the tach. As said above , it is sudden and can be upsetting. My prior bikes did not have limiters and for a hard rider, this seems like a safety issue. Surely a computer controlled engine could be programmed to just not exceed the red line, not to suddenly cut out.

Tommy T.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Tommy T. said:
Surely a computer controlled engine could be programmed to just not exceed the red line, not to suddenly cut out.
Huh? If it doesnt cut out how does it not exceed the programmed red line? Verbal warning?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I think the thing with the Duc limiter is that it's very abrupt and the power cut is so much longer than in my experience with other bikes. I know that contradicts Thumper (sorry) but I think the rev limiter on the S2R was one of the worst I've experienced and verging on dangerous given the right circumstances.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
All S4 and all '02 and later Monsters have a rev limiter.
'01 and earlier carbureted Monsters do not have a rev limiter.
Not sure if the '01 and earlier FI Monsters have one, I suspect they do not.

There are ways of making a rev limiter 'softer', but Ducati has chosen to have it quite abrupt.

It is indeed pretty startling when it hits the limiter, but on virtually all Ducs, the power has rolled off a good bit prior to the limiter, so there's not a lot of point in tagging it.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
It's definately faster if you shift just before the rev limiter than just after.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'm not quite certain, but I think on the inline 4's, the revlimiter kills only 1 or 2 cylinders. This would leave 2 or 3 still functioning, so it doesn't feel that bad.

Whereas the twins, if it cuts one cylinder then you only have one left. So, maybe this is why some feel the cut-out so much.

I think it's like anything though. And I'm certainly NOT encouraging this. But hit the revlimiter enough times and it will start to become less noticeable.

Maybe that's my problem :) ha ha

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Or, if you're really bored in 1st (under full acceleration) you can just lift up on the shifter, and let the bike do the rest of the work for you- the motor cuts at redline, releases the pressure on the ol' gears, the bike shifts and since the revs drop the motor is instantly back on.

FWIW, I've tried this on the dyno and it technically lost some power. Obviously the motor didn't instantly de-tune itself, but it wasn't as smooth a shift as it feels.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
HyperM3 said:
From running my 695 on the dyno, it seems the limiter (or redline fuel cut) is at 8700rpm.

BTW- rereading your edited post. You should never shift gears in a car using the redline fuel cut as the indicator. You dont get the best acceleration time, you are starving the engine of fuel for a second, and youre out of your powerband anyway. Also, each gear should be shifted at a different rpm range based on ratios. In my BMW for instance I shift out of second about 200rpm sooner into third than I did from 1st into second. On the 695 the peak hp is made around 8500 so shift then or before then, dont wait for your face to slam the tank.
Unless there's a very dramatic fall in power, I've always been taught to shift at redline. Because of gearing, it's more advantageous to stay in a lower gear until you run out of revs. E.g. You're better off with 65 hp in second gear than 75 hp in 3rd gear. Because of the jump in torque, your butt dyno will tell you you're accelerating faster after the upshift, but you should be faster if you stay in the lower gear until red line.

Or so I'm told by some old drag racers...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Dear Army Man,

You are new here but I believe you should be getting the idea of how threads transform, take different shapes, change topics, and sometimes molecular structure :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
XiaoNio said:
Unless there's a very dramatic fall in power, I've always been taught to shift at redline. Because of gearing, it's more advantageous to stay in a lower gear until you run out of revs. E.g. You're better off with 65 hp in second gear than 75 hp in 3rd gear. Because of the jump in torque, your butt dyno will tell you you're accelerating faster after the upshift, but you should be faster if you stay in the lower gear until red line.

Or so I'm told by some old drag racers...
Being a drag racer, Ill explain the reasoning behind what I said. When I used to dragrace my M3, I used to run through the traps either top of third or beginning of fourth. Obviously, my faster times were in the top of third because I didnt lose whatever 10ths I spent shifting into fourth. Its all about gearing and running your car or bike around it. My M3 is supercharged and with or without it, the peak torque is at about 2500-3500. If I shift from second to third at redline, it brings me into the later part of that torque run(maybe 3100). If I shift 200-300 rpm sooner than redline(which the car isnt really making anymore power anyway) then I now am in the beginning of the meaty part of my torque and get a better push through that gear and can then run through the traps banging the end of third instead.

Make sense?

·
Registered
705 Posts
The Rev limiter comes on after peak HP and torque why would you wait to shift then? I've hit it once when dragging a HD with wicked loud pipes and I passed him as I was approaching the limiter and couldn't hear my motor - scared the crap out of me! The second time I just wanted to find it and it's well after the curve. Sure it happens but no way you are close to optimum performance by banging off it and shifting. 7.5 is about it on a S2R.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts