Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Especially in the service area? I was thinking about asking the local shop if they do apprenticeships for the service area, and I was just wondering if you guys thought I would get much out of it if they do apprenticeships at all. Can you only work on the bikes if you have some sort of certification? I really wanted to work on Ducatis but should I be looking some place else to get shop time?
Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can't imagine any ducatisti being very pleased at the thought of paying an $85/hr. labor fee for an apprentice to put his hands on their bike, regardless of how well-intentioned he may be.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Ummm... Other brand shops start guys out as "lot boys" doing menial things for the mechanics, as they learn more they do more, but never "real" mechanic stuff, unless they have gone to school for that.Pay is not real good either as a "lot boy"

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're really serious about learning the trade then look into attending Motorcycle Mechanics Institute (MMI). I'm sure they have a web page you can look at and I know they advertise in various motorcycle magazines. Once you graduate from there it should be just a matter of making the rounds and finding a shop that'll hire you. After that I'm sure that Ducati has its own in-house training set up for Ducati technicians, which is usually paid for by the shop you're employed by. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Soooo, who do you think comes out of AMI? Artisans? No. Apprentices with a little "book knowledge". And how much of that $85/hour do you think the mechanic makes? Likely less than $10.

Some people have regard for my experience. I've been wrenching on my own motorcycles to increasing degrees for approaching 18 years now, yet I haven't been to AMI or MMI. And nearly every time I work on a motorcycle, I learn something new. Thankfully, most of what I learn now is the easy way!!

Whenever at a shop, bear in mind that many of the employees you're interfacing with may never afford to own a Ducati. Or they may go seriously into debt to get one.

Chris

I can't imagine any ducatisti being very pleased at the thought of paying an $85/hr. labor fee for an apprentice to put his hands on their bike, regardless of how well-intentioned he may be.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Even the most knowledgable Suspension person can be a idiot... I had my suspension checked back in November by a touted know it all. Well he cracked my seat cowl, guess who had to buy me a new seat cowl with original sticker and had to clear coat it? Know it all suspension boy. Yeah, one more reason Marty and Mike will only touch my Monster.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i worked at my friend's (non-dealership) shop to fill time and pay for parts for a race bike. but honestly, my buddy - the owner - really just didn't make much money. the best part for me was the comraderie with my racing buddies during and after work.

i also have another friend that owns the kawasaki dealership where i bought my first bike. his wife works with him. the dealership is open 6 days a week. they have 2 kids that have grown up in the dealership. their crib was the area under the desk with the pc. it was always funny to see them selling bikes while trying not to step on the kids.

i have another friend who went to MMI. he's not a mechanic anymore because working on bikes made hiem not love bikes.

i figure the best way to get the experience is to do what i did... work for free at a friend's shop. it allowed me to work on the bikes on the weekend and learn by osmosis.

if you really want to work on bikes, get the job - just don't expect to make much money. the real payoff is when you can be doing what you love or being around your friends.

and if the gf/wife isn't into bikes, it will get ugly because they might not support ya spending all your time getting greasy for no money.

so there's my not a pretty picture. but all said, that year at my buddie's shop was the best year of my life. broke. but always around the bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts