Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get a general idea on things... I'll swing the idea by DNA once we sort of figure out where most people want to ride. This also depends on DNA if they attend the ride.... in the past (from talking with Club Desmo), with DNA-sponsored rides, John Porter has regularly taken a display bike out on the rides. I'll have to get back to you people on this.

Daffe

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
This event is being held in San Jose, right?

That means we would be riding at least 30 miles just to start a North Bay ride, and probably further than that. A South Bay ride would get to the interesting part much quicker, since then you would only have to ride 5-10 miles. East Bay is quite a bit closer than North Bay.

I think the Santa Cruz mountains are the most obvious choice.

S

·
0 Posts
I say North Bay if the SF people want to ride down and back up again. Otherwise, a Santa Cruz Mts. ride / Peninsula ride would be nice.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... event starts in Cupertino (see maps below)... so it's very close to the Santa Cruz mts...

area map:

local map:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Santa Cruz mountains makes a whole lot of sense to me.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Allright I need to go on a South Bay ride with somone who knows where they're going. All I ever see when I go riding down south is traffic. Where are the good roads?? I barely ever see a car riding around West Marin most days...

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Yeah, the peninsula seems like the obvious choice. Hopefully some roads that are light on traffic and heavy on curves...

S

·
0 Posts
There are plenty of less traveled roads in the SC Mts / Peninsula. Tunitas Creek, King's Mountian, Alpine, Pescadero, Bonny Doon, etc. etc. Something similar to the Doc Wong route, without the Doc. Some of the roads are lesser quality such as Tunitas Creek, but they're still pretty good. I would post a link to the ride route for Doc., but my computer is flipping out lately, I need a major overhaul on my PC :p Pashnit has a lot of good roads for SC Mts. also :)

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
South Bay...

What was I thinking voting for the North Bay? (I was thinking it'd be nice to go on roads that I usually don't get to go on.. I'm in the South Bay)

But since the ride starts in Cupertino the logistics make a lot more sense to do somewhere relatively nearby. There are a lot of good roads down here and toward the coast.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
closest ride starting point from Cupertino is somewhere around hwy 9 in Saratoga... 9 to 35 to Big Basin or Pescadero, Bonny Dunes.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would be "Bonny Doon".

ok... Dooon... Scott, you've done most of the routes we've been on... can you suggest something in the South bay? I'll take a look at it. If it's not on our website, post the URL from Pashnit. I'll check it out.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I don't ride enough in the area to know the right routes in the Santa Cruz mountains. I would have to base my routes on maps. The East Bay is the only area I know well enough to suggest routes without consulting maps.

S

·
0 Posts
OK, here's the Doc's route. It is a good one..but lots of turns. We could modify this somewhat: http://www.docwong.com/st-clinc/riderout.htm

Some of the best stretch combinations are Hwy 1 to Stage Rd to Pescadero to Cloverdale Rd. to Gazos Creek Rd and back to Hwy 1. Then again from Bonny Doon to Empire Grade to Jamison Creek back up to 236 to Boulder Creek. Jamison Creek is a bit gnarly, but short.

I'd be happy to plan a route, and pre-ride the route with anyone interested in leading the route. Most of these are not high speed twisties, but are virtually carless.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sarah, I'd be up for a ride on Saturday. It's supposed to be partly cloudy that day... i'll check out the route if your schedule is free for a ride. Anyone else like to go? The more the better.

S

·
0 Posts
Daffe, I don't know if I can this Saturday..I may be heading to Avila Hot Springs for the night. If not..I'll ride with you Saturday. If we don't do it this Sat., I'm sure there will be a few more sunny days between now and April ;D

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't do Sunday rides anymore so Saturday is it for me. Sunday rides I could *probably* do if I get about 1 month advance notice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts