Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on how to pass the test. I'm not sure my M900 can turn that sharp and I can't imagine a 1000cc street bike or chopper! I failed miserably thinking it was going to be a cake walk, didn't even practice. Besides hours of practice how do you turn that sharp without dropping your bike. Would it be a lot easier on something like a 250cc.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I just took the MSF exp riders course again (new base policy); this time on my S4R. Tips (in no particular order):

1. keep your head/eyes up and look at the direction you want to go.

2. Don't use the front brake on the tight stuff, just brush the rear brake if you need it

3. ride the hell out of the clutch (I'm sure there will be comments on this)

4. feather the throttle gently

5. shift your weight up off the seat and counter-balance the bike

Good luck!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Have you taken the MSF? You might want to if you haven't...then, at least in my state, you don't have to take the driving portion of the test when you pass the class.

gnew

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I took my DMV test using a Suzuki GS500.. The turn radius on my M750 is MUCH wider on my Monster than it was on the smaller Suzuki. If possible, use a different Bike.

Although, as others have mentioned MSF will help also. Even though I have passed my DMV test and received my license I start my MSF in 2 weeks.

Otherwise its practice practice practice.. :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Here in TX, I didn't have to take the driving test at the DPS (DMV) because i took the MSF course. A buddy of mine did though. I rode the bike up there for him and then the DPS guy and I followed him around in his truck. I dont remember any specific really sharp turns that he had to make. Basically it was like a 3-4 mile course through the streets that he had to ride. We'd honk once for him to turn left and twice for him to turn right ... Just watching his blinkers and awareness of surrounding cars while taking the test. Was a piece of cake for him to pass. Just got points knocked off for leaving his blinker on too long. I always forget that damn blinker :-/

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
That's how the NY test was

Here in TX, I didn't have to take the driving test at the DPS (DMV) because i took the MSF course. A buddy of mine did though. I rode the bike up there for him and then the DPS guy and I followed him around in his truck. I dont remember any specific really sharp turns that he had to make. Basically it was like a 3-4 mile course through the streets that he had to ride. We'd honk once for him to turn left and twice for him to turn right ... Just watching his blinkers and awareness of surrounding cars while taking the test. Was a piece of cake for him to pass. Just got points knocked off for leaving his blinker on too long. I always forget that damn blinker :-/
when I took it 27 years ago. ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
That test in Texas seems more realistic than the test in Colorado. Although I took the test in the MSF class, I believe that it is very similar to the DMV test. One of the tests is a figure 8 which has to be done within a pretty small area. It is the part of the test that most people fail. IMHO, it doesnt really represent any necessary skills....nice to have skills, but not necessary. In Colorado the whole test takes place on a parking lot course, I think a test on the streets is much more representative of everyday riding..

·
Registered
669 Posts
only thing i had problems with was the stopping test ... i kept coming up a foot past the stopping point because we were in an old parking lot with dirt/gravel all over the lot and i was on a dual/purpose bike with dirt/street tires. other than that i had a perfect score :)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Texas test is different. The rider provides a car and driver. The tester rides in the car, following the bike. A single beep on the horn means to turn in one direction. Two beeps means to turn in the opposite. They watch how you ride and have a checklist of things to look for. The test only takes no more than 10 minutes and covers about a mile or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts