Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any SoCal types going to the DML Trackday at Streets of Willow on 5/10?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don't think I'll be able to make any trackdays for the rest of this year. I'm more broke that Bush's foreign policy. What to bring - water and duct tape.

Seriously, I think Chris Kelley has a good checklist on his website. DO NOT FORGET THE KEYS TO YOUR BIKE!! One time I was 20 miles out of the city when I realized I'd forgotten my gloves and had to turn around.

You're a good rider, if there are 3 groups I'd sign up with the intermediate group right away. Don't be intimidated, the track is just another piece of asphalt. You'll learn more from riding with the faster guys, there are too many people in the slow group that will just get in your way.

Have a blast,

-R.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Ryan, you missed a fun ride this morning w/ the "dawn patrol." Lucas and I bailed early and the rest of the group went out toward Palmdale.

I see that Pacific Track Time has 3 groups: C-Intermediate, B-Advanced, A-Expert +. It looks like they offer an orientation and personal coaching for the slower (C) group. I'm tempted to go for the B group, but wondering if I should take advantage of the class and coaching that appears to only be offered to the slower group. It looks like the orientation class is mandatory for first time track riders, so I'm assuming I could still attend that even if I join the B group. I think I'll give them a call to clarify all of this.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeah, or you could lie and tell them you'd been on a track once before. Everything you need to know will be covered in the rider's meeting.

The orientation is not a bad thing, they show you the lines and stuff. That's it though, it's really not a "school" and the instructors most of the time just want to ride themselves and aren't that good at giving feedback at all. My experience, at least. I don't think the orientation is a waste of time, but it's not an absolute requirement in my opinion either.

Yeah, sorry I missed the ride. Didn't wake up until 8am, with a terrible tequila hangover. I really should stick to vodka.

-R.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I want tosignup for that trackday,all that is required is for me to stop being a lazy ass. I'm going to sign up for the slow poke group. It will be my first track day, so I want to take it easy.

Let me know if there is anything we can go in on together, trailer rental, water?.....

How do you get gas at the track?

·
Registered
849 Posts
You need to bring your own gas. They do have like 100 octane race gas at the track, but it's like 8 bucks a gallon. You're in Venice, right? I have a canister you can borrow if you need one.

Linda, I went to a place that had Margaritas for $3.- How could I say no to that, they practically twisted my arm!

-R.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
where do they have ritas for 3?? I've been paying 8 or so at the CANTINA on Washington!

Oh...if you loan me your gas can, I'll buy you a rita...an $8 ONE!!

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will be my first track day, so I want to take it easy.
Doesn't the school you just took qualify as doing a track day? You are a veteran now! :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
where do they have ritas for 3?? I've been paying 8 or so at the CANTINA on Washington!

Oh...if you loan me your gas can, I'll buy you a rita...an $8 ONE!!
Border Grill on 4th and Broadway. Not exactly a cozy place to have drinks, but you can't argue with the price. And I hear their food is really good (haven't tried it). Another cheap dive is the Red Garter on Lincoln.

PM me re: the gas can when the time comes.

-R.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Naw, as in Santa Monica. Not normally my crowd, but the cheap Margaritas won me over (still, a friend had to drag me).

But yeah, I'd love to re-visit the shyt downtown bars - if I remember where they are (then again, I have a feeling you'd know). You have my number, call me anytime.

-R.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Ok, just signed up for the track day. WHO ELSE IS IN!?

What all do I need to do to my bike to get it ready?

So I guess:
Remove/tape over lights
Remove Liscense plate "thing"

what else?

·
Registered
849 Posts
It's normally enough to just tape over your license plate. Tape your wheel weights. Some organizers require you to safety wire your oil filter. I have the wire and a twister for that if you want to do that. Get masking tape to cover your speedo (usually required). Overinflate your tires by a few psi so you can drop down to the right psi when you get out there. Bring a tire pressure gauge (obivously). Keep hydrated throughout the day. Just keep drinking fluids even when you're not thirsty.

The organizer should have a webpage that lists all the things they look for in a safely prepped bike.

Have fun prepping and let me know about the gas can.

-R.

PS: My Foggy never burned oil except for when I took it to Big Willow. I suggest you bring a quart of oil and keep an eye on the level throughout the day.

S

·
0 Posts
I'm in, but just watching. My tire's are too old and Ive got to see if I like my new handlebar set-up or if CycleCat is in my future.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm working on getting an ez-up for anyone that wants to hang out together.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone know the best type of tape to use on the headlight, blinkers, etc., that will come off easy and not leave residue?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Masking tape isn't thick enough, you'll have to use four layers to actually cover the lights. It's OK, but I'd just use duct tape and pull the fuses so the heat of the bulbs doesn't melt the glue on the tape. The little residue that's sometimes left comes off easily with a drop of WD-40 applied to a rag.

Again, some organizers don't require the lights to be actually covered or disabled, so check with whomever you're riding.

Take off whatever you don't need - that way there's less to fix in case of a mishap (mirrors, turn signals if you want, even the headlight, which on a Monster comes off easy enough).

-R.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some pics from today's trackday.

Not a whole lot of monsters out there today. Lots of japanese bikes.

Eric and I and some guy thinking he is going to pass us. I'm sure he did. It was suppose to be the slow group, but it was funny how the slow guys had numbers on their bikes and were draggin knee.

Me trying not to crash.

Michael Moore tearing it up. It was nice to meet Michael, and he brought the DML'rs free stuff.

Pictures are courtesy of Supafly who came out to support us.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Wished I could have been there. :'(

So 'Mr. About To DragKnee' there on a 9'er was out in the slow group? That really looks like fun in any case.

You guys have any epiphanies?

S

·
0 Posts
Wow, if this whole "electronics" thing doesn't work out I can get a job as the world's worst photographer....

Sorry about that...

You forgot about the guy who wheelied past Eric going 100+ down the straitaway.

You did miss a good time and the world most amazing sign-in sheet in the office...Doug Polen, Jake Zemke, the Editors of Sport Rider...did I mention they were doing a 999s VS. Mille Factory test while we were there....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts