Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(edit as of 6Apr04)
Hey guys.

Just wanted to let everyone know what all is going on.

I am now living in kuwait and in the middle of a "surge" as they like to call it here. What that means is since there is such a high volume of troop rotations right now, the transportation troops (like myself) are constantly running missions transporting stuff to and from Iraq. I got in touch with Juan a guy here on the board who lives in kuwait and hopefully him and I can hang out sometime before it gets hot. It definetely isn't like the mountains of NC here.

We have done one 12 day mision so far and that went well. Stuff in the north part of Iraq is pretty intense, especially around Felusya (sp?). half our company is trapped there as the roads in and out of Felusya, are closed to convoys because of attacks. Enough of the news, cool things about the middle east right now...
1. weather: Its gorgeous right now! Reminds me of being on the coast
2. Kuwait: Living conditions are really nice here, compared to Iraq.
3. thats about it :)

The guys sitting to my left just got told. they needed to leave the computers and pack their bags right now because they were flying home tonight. They were so happy. Now that was cool to see, and I can't wait for it. Anyways, just wanted to let you guys know what is up. My girlfriend keeps a website up and has some pictures and stuff on it. check it out if you want.
www.geocities.com/sgtpatrickhickey

Hope to give an update soon, and I check out the board every chance I get!
(edit as of 7Dec03)
Alright its that time. Deployment time. Thanks to all of you for your advice help and good wishes.
Today I am packing up all the gear and headed to the unit to get shipped out. I expect to be back Jun2005. Maybe by that time it will be time for another monster? I am glad to have my monster, especially the way I have it all fixed up now. It definetely will give me something to think about if I need to just get away. Right before basic training I bought my truck and all through it I remember making myself push a little harder so that I could get back home to my truck and pay for it.
This time I just got my bike fixed up before I leave and I'm sure I will maintain the same mentality, that the monster will help me push through things that may be difficult.
Thank you Carly (love2ride) for being such a great lil woman. I hope you become more knowledgeable about ducati's cuz maybe you'll be seeing one when I get back! You guys help keep the monster board positive and a great place to visit, and keep on rockin those bad ass monsters!! I look forward to seeing you guys when I get back.
Peace
-Patrick

Well guys I received the bad news today. I am being deployed. I don't know where or for how long, but I will for sure be out of here by January. I am in the NC national gaurd and am in a transportation unit. I get to drive cool big army trucks:) (yes the I drive the hummer from time to time too, though I like my big 5 tons MUCH better). I will miss my bike sooooo much. Luckly I think my rents are going to keep it up for me, and I guess this tour will purchase lots of new ducati goods:):):). Can only look at it positively. Just thought I would let you guys where I am at. I'll probably not be back on the list from anywhere between 6 mo. to 1.5 yrs.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Re: Loss of a DML member

They let you operate one of those things after hitting the bottle? ;D ;D

Take care of yourself and your buddies out there but more importantly, come back safe!! We'll see ya when you get back!

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Loss of a DML member

Cool thanks man, I appreciate y'alls support. Pretty much, the ducati life is what will keep me sane over there, its what kept me sane in basic anyway. Gotta have something to look forward too.
-Patrick

H

·
0 Posts
Go get 'em Dude! When you get back, Strap that rifle to the side of your Monster, for those serious cases of Road Rage!

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
God bless you and your fellow troops when you go brother, and thank you for fighting for our country.

Happy veterans day to you too! just be smart and stay safe and come home in one piece, take kare

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Be as safe and sane as you can brother. May the Ducati gods smile on you and piss on your enemy

M

·
0 Posts
Best of luck, stay safe, thanks for everything you guys do, and come back to your monster a.s.a.p.! We look forward to your "I'm back" post with a pic of you on the Monster.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hahahaha, cool, thanks guys, I appreciate all the posts, it definetely has been a difficult day, but leave it to the ducati'its to cheer me up. Glad to know you guys are with me and thanks a bunch. It helps mah feel better. Yeah I can't wait until I can post that just got back ducati pic either. By the way when is that deals ride? I've never ridden deals but I really want to, and i can't imagine how cool it would with however many other monsters we can get. I'm sure y'all will drop me with the quickness after being so long since I've ridden, heck teh last month and a half of not riding because of the wreck, makes me feel like i'm starting all over again.
Patrick

R

·
0 Posts
Don't the reserve guys usually fill in the state side jobs for the full timers who get shipped over seas? You will most likely be home more then you think. Good Luck either way. I hope you get back sooner then expected.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Stay safe over there! I actually just got out of my guard unit in MN back in September. We have quite a few guys in Kosovo and Kuwait/Jordan right now. You should have internet access over there. I hear from friends usually once a month. And dont forget about that "Official Ducati Babe Thread"-- just make sure you got some privacy when you look at it!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
You are the second on the list to go. LT Snyder lurks here too and he came back OK. Use him as a role model. Be safe, kick a$$ and come home to ride.

Post from over there if you get a chance.

Doc

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
wheelinman900, Be Safe wherever you go!! stay sane, cause that Monster will be waiting for you when you get back!! Thanks for defending our FREEDOM!!!!!!!!
you will be in my prayers!!!

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Good luck mate. But why is your finger on the trigger? I'm not standing behind you! All the best.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks y'all. I went probably on my last ride for awhile today. It was in the high 60's here. I will be leaving Jan. 18th and who knows how long. It definetely was a nice day to get out and get my mind off of being in a tent in the hot sun. Sure is good to know you guys are with me though. I think I'm going to go on a massive shopping spree before I go since I'll have no expenses and nothing to blow my money on over there, (women, motorcycles, food, mexican jumping beans) thinking about keihen's, dyna coils, a full sil moto system to replace those straight headers I'm running now, marchesini mags (black), and all that Carbon stuff I want too. Alsot thinking about just going ahead and buying some sort of other bike too, something I won't mind keeping outside here at school when I get back. Looking at a 99 honda shadow 750 w/10,000 miles for about 3500. Anyways, I guess one nice thing is that I really don't have any strings back here in the states, cept my lil woman, (any of y'all wanna take care of her for me?) so it will all be bank. What do you guys think?
-Patrick

H

·
0 Posts
Thanks y'all. I went probably on my last ride for awhile today. It was in the high 60's here. I will be leaving Jan. 18th and who knows how long. It definetely was a nice day to get out and get my mind off of being in a tent in the hot sun. Sure is good to know you guys are with me though. I think I'm going to go on a massive shopping spree before I go since I'll have no expenses and nothing to blow my money on over there, (women, motorcycles, food, mexican jumping beans) thinking about keihen's, dyna coils, a full sil moto system to replace those straight headers I'm running now, marchesini mags (black), and all that Carbon stuff I want too. Alsot thinking about just going ahead and buying some sort of other bike too, something I won't mind keeping outside here at school when I get back. Looking at a 99 honda shadow 750 w/10,000 miles for about 3500. Anyways, I guess one nice thing is that I really don't have any strings back here in the states, cept my lil woman, (any of y'all wanna take care of her for me?) so it will all be bank. What do you guys think?
-Patrick

1 - 20 of 47 Posts