Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way into work today I came in too fast on a light, hit the front brake and my '00 750 threw me off. :p I slid for about 15ft (particularly excellent performance on the part of my new Alpinestars SP-2s).

When I sat up I couldn't move my left shoulder - within two or three seconds I had popped it back in. not much pain at the time. 6hrs later its sore & bothersome but I have good mobility despite some pain.

any thoughts on how serious this is? do I need to get it checked out just in case?

thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes.

You need to at least make sure no nerves were damaged or pinched. Very important. If the nerve was pinched or damaged, you may find that in the future even your wrist or hand becomes sore or numb. It's all connected, man. Take care of it soon.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Mojak, Sorry to hear about you going down, man have to have it checked out, quik
Good luck

·
Registered
445 Posts
I dislocated my right shoulder about ten years ago while playing with the neighbor's dog, of all things. Yours might not be so bad; experience and EMT school taught me that shoulder dislocations are usually excruciating. My experience also tells you to get it checked out and do everything the nice doctor says, no matter how much it hurts :( If required a little pain and physical therapy now will go a loooong way when you're older. Believe me.

G

·
I dislocated my left shoulder when I was 16 (I'm 31 now) and it has been a major problem ever since. I have probably popped it out ten times in the last 15 years, and it still hurts everytime. Because of my crappy shoulder I now have the weight training routine of an 80 year old woman. :p

A surgeon told me that if you do it as an adult it should heal just fine, but if it happens when you're a kid it is never the same. He also told me that it's common for the humerous to fracture when the shoulder pops out. Take care of that thing!

G

·
When I was in college, I was riding my bicycle (I used to train for Triathlons) when a dumbass cager ran a stop sign and took out my front wheel - I was doing about 35-40 mph at the time. I went flying, tucked, rolled, landed on my right

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
back in the seventies, i was ejected from a snowmobile, landing on my right shoulder. several hours later, after noticing my fingers turning purple, i decided it was time to visit the ER. sure enough, my arm had a fracture.

G

·
definatly go get it checked. The damage you did might not crop up today but down the road, as others have posted. It can be easier to fix now rather than later.

just curious, how fast were you going when you did your stoppie/ejection ;D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sticking with the overwhelming consensus and having it checked out monday morning.

I was going at a clip when I started to brake, maybe 40mph in 2nd since I had just made a yellow light. Probably slowed down to 25 before it was obvious the rear wheel carried too much momentum (should have downshifted). The pavement was wet from the rain too and a car puled out into my otherwise clear lane. a confluence of factors. what was remarkable was the speed with which I was thrown off - I was slowing down and the next thing I know I'm on the ground sliding parrallel to my spark-throwing bike. it was immediate.

the bike problems are cosmetic, as far as I can tell - just the usual: bent clip-on, shaved down front and back brake levers, some fork-n-fender damage, and a scratched/slightly mashed ferracci pipe. fortunately I already had the tank ding. :-*

thanks for all the responses..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts