Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I just paid $250 for an oil change on my 696.

I'm sure that there are other things that are supposed to be done with the 600 mile service, but other than spray about a quart of chain lube over the entire rear of my bike, I don't think they did anything other than change the oil and turn off the service indicator.

The chain is flopping around like a limp di... - well lets just say it's flopping around and leave it at that. I mean, how do you lube a chain and not notice that it is slack as hell? Of course it does look like he may have been 5 feet away when he started spraying chain lube, so maybe he couldn't see very well. I'll just have to adjust it myself, because I'm not going to ride 60 miles each way to have them do it. In fact, I won't be going there again for anything.

I guess I learned my lesson, even though the dealer I bought it from (Cincinnati Powersports) is 4 hours away, I should have gone down and had them do the service. They are a real Ducati dealer, the place I went is more convenient, but they are a motorcycle dealer that just also happens to sell Ducatis.

There is a difference.

It's the kind of place where the salesmen won't give you the time of day once they find out that you just bought a bike and aren't in the market for a new / another one.

I'm not going to name the dealer that I'm so unhappy with, but I will say that they are an OHIO MOTORCYCLE dealer. (thanks to David Letterman for the inspiration for this line)

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
It's the kind of place where the salesmen won't give you the time of day once they find out that you just bought a bike and aren't in the market for a new / another one.
Well you could have used some lines like...
You: Hi, I'm Tony...Tony Gambino. You're not busy,right?
Salesman: Arrr...errrr...not anymore!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, but it was an OHIO MOTORCYCLE dealer.

Ok, for those of you who aren't Letterman fans. It was Ohio Motorcycle in Oakwood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had the 600 mile service done on my 796... total cost 64.38. There is only 1 dealer in the western New York area also so it's not like there is a lot of competition. Just an honest dealer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just had the 600 mile service done on my 796... total cost 64.38. There is only 1 dealer in the western New York area also so it's not like there is a lot of competition. Just an honest dealer.
That is just about cost for the parts and zero labor. What kind of oil and filter did they use? Replace Crush Washer?

I guess they could, but I would be worried they did not check anything.

Basically a 600 mile service is a glorified oil change. There are various other things that are checked, including torques, psi and chain tension.

When the wrench/maint. icon is removed the rev limit is raised by the ecu as well.

Most dealerships charge around 150-250, depending on the speed of the tech and cost of parts. For example our oil is Motul 300V which is about 15 a quart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, they changed oil and filter, crush washer. checked chain and tires. reset the light and gave it a quick "once over". I hate to be the one to break it to you guys but what more do you think they are doing? I work as a tech for a Jap car dealer and have a pretty good idea of what really goes on for first services. I really do not believe that any tech is grabbing a torque wrench and checking every nut and bolt. Besides the dealer that i have even let me watch the whole process and I have to say his tech did exactly what I expected. If you want someone to get intimate with your vehicle you will have to fork over huge dollars and hope you get what you paid for. ( not typical ).

·
Registered
186 Posts
What dealer did you take it to? Williamson Ducati? I have to find out more about this service, especially at that cost. Their labor rate would have to be 40 bucks an hour (which it could be) to break even. I am going to have to call them and find out how they do services for close to the price of only parts.

I am a Ducati Tech and I know how the factory puts together bikes, so if the tech did not check certain bolts, I would not ever take a bike to them. Jap Cars and hand assembled motorcycles are apples and oranges. There is much better quality control in the car end of the spectrum.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Tony, your 'stats' indicate you have bar risers on the 696. Did you have to replace all the cables, wiring and brake lines with longer ones? I looked at mine it at a glance it appeared that there was hardly any slack to get any appreciable rise. If not longer cables etc., how much rise were you able to get? If longer cables etc., are these items available or custom made?
Thanks,
Ron Patterson

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was concerned about that too since the DP raised bars come with all new cables and lines and that bar is only a bit higher. There is enough slack to put in the risers without any issues, though. I did have to slide the grommet on the front brake line down in order to get the needed slack. The color doesn't match quite as nice as the Jesse risers, but it's a bit taller than the Jesse is.

I may still get the DP riser bars, I just wish that someone had a set that I could look at before I plopped down the $375 or so.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
bar risers

well I bit the bullet and splurged for a set of $19.99 bars at the local accessory shop.
I thought they wouldn't be as high as I wanted but they are so close that it obviated the expense and trouble of Ducati bars and cables or re-engineering custom cables. But all the wiring, cables, and brake lines are at their limit. And had to move the fork stops as it brings the switch clusters much closer to hitting the tank = limited turning radius.

Seems the risers would have to be quite tall to avoid this latter problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
"I am a Ducati Tech and I know how the factory puts together bikes, so if the tech did not check certain bolts, I would not ever take a bike to them. Jap Cars and hand assembled motorcycles are apples and oranges. There is much better quality control in the car end of the spectrum"
Absolutily agreed. But I think the point of the thread was that he was disappointed in the cost of the service. This is why I said if you want someone to become intimate with your bike you will have to pay big $ and hope for the best. I have also done time with high end Euro cars and found getting what you paid for was not always what you got. Unless you were paying for attitude.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's really a bit more simple than that. I'm pretty sure that if I take any bike, even one of those $1100 Chinese ones, in for service, the most basic part of the service is checking and adjusting chain tension.

Because he obviously didn't do that, I wondered what other things he skipped.
Thanks to the service manual, I've checked torque on just about everything on the bike and made my chain adjustment.

The bottom line to me is that I bought a bike that many consider "high end", I paid top buck for the service, I expect a certain level of service. After all I didn't bring in an 8 year old Yamaha 250 dirt bike.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Agreed, that is why the service costs what it does, If it was a cheap 600 mile service I would expect that. Call back and get compensated or at least make someone aware. If the Service Mgr is not aware, this could happen to a few people and eventually hurt someone.

It's really a bit more simple than that. I'm pretty sure that if I take any bike, even one of those $1100 Chinese ones, in for service, the most basic part of the service is checking and adjusting chain tension.

Because he obviously didn't do that, I wondered what other things he skipped.
Thanks to the service manual, I've checked torque on just about everything on the bike and made my chain adjustment.

The bottom line to me is that I bought a bike that many consider "high end", I paid top buck for the service, I expect a certain level of service. After all I didn't bring in an 8 year old Yamaha 250 dirt bike.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I think I just paid $250 for an oil change on my 696.

"Of course it does look like he may have been 5 feet away when he started spraying chain lube, so maybe he couldn't see very well. I'll just have to adjust it myself, because I'm not going to ride 60 miles each way to have them do it. "

That part got me laughing. I had the same experience here on the Central coast of California. On top of that, I noticed two hexhead bolts missing from the tank covers at the front about a week after getting the bike. Because they are 90 miles away I waited for the 600 mi/$250 oil change and told them they were missing. They charged me about 3 bucks per bolt! I just changed my own oil at about 5200 miles and get this: They cranked that @#$%^ oil filter down so hard that a little bolt that attaches the thing to the engine case screwed off with it. There was a remnant ring of some glue from the factory to hold the bolt onto the case but they obviously got that seal cracked. And the rubber seal of the filter was under so much pressure that it was indented in a concentric ring. I've never seen that before on my cars. Anyway, that was a Ducati dealer, a small one though.

It leaves me wondering, what do I really have to have them do? Better look at the owners manual (and take it a further 100 miles to a REAL dealer)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts