Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have difficulty shifting from 1st gear to neutral after coming to a stop on a new 2002 S4. The gear lever is hard to pull up and then goes too far and lands in 2nd. Then when I push down from 2nd it slips past neutral and goes back to 1st. This only seems to happen when the bike is still - no problems shifting or finding neutral when moving (approaching a stop). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Try adjusting your clutch lever so it's further away from the grip, so you get a little more stroke when you pull it all the way in.

If you've got it adjusted all the way out, and it's still hard to get neutral, then bleed the clutch or take it back to the dealer and tell 'em to do it. It's really part of the pre-sale prep to give you a properly functioning bike.......

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
It's directly related to how much clutch drag you have. On the 97 M900, I could always hit neutral while stopped with the engine running. On the ST2, it's nearly impossible. I just make sure I shift to neutral before coming to a stop. If I don't, I still have two choices: kill the engine, shift to neutral, then restart, or just hold the clutch in until I'm ready to go again.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
if you're having the problem while still, try rocking slightly to allign the gears to help it slip in neutral easier. when my bike was still breaking in, I found neutral hard to find, now it slips in pretty easy. my SS on the other hand finds neutral with ease.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I had problems finding neutral when my '03 M800 was new also.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have an 02 S4 too, and also had this problem when new and sometimes now, but not as bad... it works best it you slip it into neutral just before you stop rolling... Is it a new bike? maybe it takes time for the trans to break in or something, I have gotten used to mine now...

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Neutral what's neutral? ;D
I've had the same problem and use the same solutions i.e put it in neutral while still coasting or when stopped just roll forward a bit. You have adjustable levers and when they are in the #4 position it can be much more difficult than the #1 position. You could also just use the neutral between 5th & 6th ;)

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
if you're having the problem while still, try rocking slightly to allign the gears to help it slip in neutral easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts