Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you probably know by now, I'm plannign to race an 800 Ducati next year, and I'm leaning towards racing a MOnster instead of an SS...in short, I like them more. Now, could someone either point me at a thread, or give me a quick rundown of the differences between an 03-04 800 Monster, and an S2R?

I know that teh swingarm is different, as are the exhaust and wheels, but what (if any) are the practical implications of these differences? Also, what other differences are there?

Thanks!

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
No one? Ok, I'll take a shot. Can someone verify these?

This is out of date, but it might help a bit re the 800: http://www.ducatimonster.org/faq/faq_model_comparison.html

Brakes: the 800 has 4 piston, 2 pad brembos (same as the SuperSport) with 320mm rotors. The s2r has lower spec brakes. 2 piston, 2 pad calipers with a 300 or 310 rotor. It's an easy upgrade, but you'll want the better brakes for racing.

Forks: s2r has nonadjustable forks. I *think* the '04 800 has non-adjustable forks, but the '03 800S *might* have adjustable forks.

Clearance: The s2r has better clearance. But you'll want aftermarket rearsets for either the s2r or the 800.

Engine: Same. FYI-- Ducati changed how it measured the hp of its bikes in '05. The exhaust may make a minor difference, but if you see a big jump, it's from how it's measured, not an actual increase in power.

Rear tire: IIRC, 800 runs a 160 on a 4.5" rim. S2r runs a 180 on a 5.5" rim. A 180 will slow down your handling, but will give you a greater contact patch. I dunno which would work better fro a bike of that HP.

Clutch: doesn't the s2r have the slipper clutch? The thing to know is that it's not a true racing slipper clutch, but I have no FHE on how it works at the track. The 800 doesn't have it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
A couple more:

The 03 M800S does not have adjustable front suspension.

The 03 M800S has an aluminum swingarm. The 03 Darks and all 04s should be steel. The SRs have SSS.

You know about the exhaust already.

I think there are some differences in the mirrors too. The 03s are more Mickey Mouse, the SRs are more Oriental.

Different colors.

I think some of the newer bikes have plastic fuel tanks with fuel pressure regulator in a different location. The 03 has steel tank.

The 03 M800S has a chromed steel handlebar. At some point they may have changed to aluminum.

Goto http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/index.html#2v

I think you will probably find the '03 S the better model (*ahem*).

Cheaper to buy used, pre-euro-goes-sky-high-we-got-to-keep-our-price-point-parts, old style exhaust, regular wheels, rearstands, etc...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thanks for the info..that's exactly what I was looking for. It seems like I"m not really giving up a whole lot of performance in any regard no matter which 800 MOnster I pick, so that's good...options are good. As far as ground clearance...is that fixable on teh 03-04 with different pipes and rearsets (and increassed ride height)? Which pipes do the best job of that if so?

I admit I like the look of the SSS, but at this point I'll probably buy whatever presents itself as the best deal.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Yes, rearsets and high pipes on '03-04 monsters will help a bunch.

Here's a now well-worn thread with a close-up pic of clearance on a 1000 (same basic set-up as the 800), along with some other posts discussing clearance on the older style frames.

Increased ride height helps. Any high pipes will help a ton as you'll catch the low pipes first. However, apparently then people start scraping their headers (Check that thread for info).

BTW, ducman851 and fasterblkduc both race monsters with old style frames. They should be able to give you some pointers.

·
Registered
829 Posts
+1 on what Spidey said. Also, you may want to find out about the 2006 Ducati day at Assen. I saw a recent issue of PB (Performance Bikes) and it showed pictures of a 2V race and there were a number of Monsters with race fairings. Maybe you can find other contacts that way. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
+1 on info so far.

The M800 had a seat height 1" lower than the M1000 about the same as the 620 with '03 M800S as the lone exception. I know that the '04 M800 did not have a ride height adjustable rod which can be replaced with an adjustable to raise the rear for increaed clearance. Don't know if the '03 M800S came with one.

·
Registered
829 Posts
cdc you are right on the ride height adjusters. The 03 M800S had the adjustable strut. IIRC, the Darks did not. Regards, R.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Battlecry, your '03 M800S is an incredible package even in stock trim. A freak of nature. A bike DUcati did right. Unfortunately with my '04 M800, I am green with envy. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

·
Registered
829 Posts
Bryan, the 03 has a six speed and no slipper. The S also had the bikini fairing standard.

cdc, thanks, I do feel lucky, I even got it as a leftover! I think the rise in the euro/dollar drove a lot of those decisions.

I remember growing up what an impression the R90S had on me. The M800 in 03 or 04 trim is such a better bike in just about every respect. We are all lucky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts