Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ignorantly been under the assumption that my 620 had a dry clutch (as I've said before, I'm mechanically retarded). Today, I realized it is in fact a wet clutch, making a vented clutch cover out of the question. So, can somebody please tell me in a simple explanation, what is the difference between a wet clutch and a dry clutch? What are the reasonings behind having one vs the other? Thank you all. And if we had a word for people who fish, it'd be "fisherman". But we do not have such a word.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Not to over simplify things, but a wet clucth runs in a bath of engine oil & uses different friction plates (kevlar is popular). dry clutches run by themselves (like a car clutch) & usually use a material like carbon on the friction plates. Neither one is better than the other (I'll probably get some flak here), just different.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Norm. That simple break down was exactly what I was looking for. The terms themselves (wet/dry) led me so far, I was just looking for something more specific. As far as replacing the stock cover with another (not vented of course), is it as simple as unscrewing the old clutch cover and putting a new one on? Or will the fluids floating around cause this to be a bit trickier than that?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
there is a nominal loss of power with a wet clutch due to drag from the oil. on the other hand, all things equal. they should be more durable, and, obviously, they make less noise.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
You can usually take the cover off a wet clutch without losing any oil, by leaning the bike onto the kickstand as far as it will go.

G

·
Nevermind on my last question. It goes by model. I found out just by opening the manual...hey imagine that, info in the manual.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Basically, Monster 900, 1000, S4 and S4R are all dry clutches.
All of the smaller Monsters are wet clutches.

Wet clutch:
Pros:
Quieter. Doesn't sound like a jackhammer. ;D
Should last a little longer.
Possibly a little smoother and easier to use.
Shouldn't get rusty.
No temptation to spend money on a 'bling' clutch cover.
Fewer people ask "Man, what's wrong with your bike?"

Cons:
Never completely releases due to the drag of the oil between the plates.
All of the material that gets worn off of the plates ends up in the engine oil.
More difficult to service/inspect.
Doesn't have that cool 'ball bearings in a coffee can' / 'sleighbells' sound. ;D
Doesn't frighten children and small animals nearly as well.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
The plates on the wet ones have grooves in them too, so oil can flow out. I find the wet clutch is grabby when trying to launch it off a light. Dry clutches will fade if they get hot. Haven't got a wet one that hot yet.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

I laughed loud enough to wake up my kid...thanks
Glad I could help... ;D

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can get these in Oz, so Ill assume you can buy them everywhere else also.

You can now buy a clear cover for a wet clutch. Basically its made from heat resistant plastic of some sort. I dunno how effective it will be once your fluid gets dirty (like after about 10kms) but it could be just your thing.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
already knowing the differences between a wet and dry clutch made this thread useless for me except that it did raise one question. it was stated that the dry clutchs do not dump the excess (worn) material into your oil. my question is this, does that mean that the bikes oil needs to be changed less often?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
sconly said:
already knowing the differences between a wet and dry clutch made this thread useless for me except that it did raise one question. it was stated that the dry clutchs do not dump the excess (worn) material into your oil. my question is this, does that mean that the bikes oil needs to be changed less often?
Well, not by the Ducati intervals, but since most of us change oil more often Than reccomended I guess it is somewhat mute.

·
Registered
103 Posts
wow. so a wet clutch dumps more crap into the engine oil. sounds like a horrible idea to me

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
is it as simple as unscrewing the old clutch cover and putting a new one on?
Pretty much, but why? Unless you have punched a hole or seriously damaged the OEM cover (actually the whole side cover, not clutch cover like on dry clutch) or have found this clear cover tahtagata mentions. (of dubious value IMO)

·
Registered
541 Posts
One.....is "wet" one.....Is Dry

1 - 20 of 24 Posts