Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean to be disrespectful, I realize Ducati is a classy bike but I sincerely wanted to ask if anyone (when they bought a Monster 620) if they considered other naked bikes and if so, what made them ended up choosing the Monster. Originally, I was looking at the SV650 or the FZ6 but a dealer has a 2002 and I can't stop thinking about the Monster. [smiley=shy.gif]

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Forget that monster, stick with that killer scooter.
;D
Seriously though, I never even considered a naked bike til I saw the Monster, I told her that day I would never look at a never woman.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did consider other Bikes.
I saw my first Monster when I was still riding a chopper. Over the next years I looked at other bikes, such as the Yamaha XJR 1300 and the Suzuki Bandit. I even took a glance at the Cagiva Raptor with the powerfull TL1000 engine, but I am so very glad I eventually decided to get the Monster.

I was at a motor show recently and with all the new bikes coming out, I wouldn't want any other bike than the Monster.

Happy hunting,

DUCky

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before I bought the Monster I had the Aprilia RS125. So the next bike had to be Italian, but a bike more suited for commuting. The Monster was then the only choice after I looked at the SS 750. ( and what a disappointment that was) No jap. bikes was considered, they are good bikes, but with no personality, remove the plastic and they are all the same and you find them on every street corner.
I still want a sports bike as a second bike, so I hope they get the design right for the next generation SS with the new 3 vale engine.
I have had a good life with my Monster and I will keep it forever.

Slim

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
There weren't any bikes like the SV650 or FZ6 back when I bought my Monster (1997). I had looked at the few possibilities like the Yamaha Seca II but nothing caused any excitement.

It wasn't until I had a close look at an M900 belonging to a neighbor that I was hooked. I still consider the 1997 Monster the best motorcycle purchase I've ever made (out of 18 so far).

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I started with a Honda Nighthawk. Picked up a used one for $2,000 in good condition and put 5,000 miles on it before moving on. There are other naked bikes that make good sense for learning. I hurt to drop that Nighthawk but it would have hurt a lot worse to drop a $6,000 M620.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I own 9 bikes. For me, I've always wanted a Ducati, it was just a matter of time. My decision was either to buy a 1980's MHR900 or a new style Duc. Since many of my bikes are older classics etc. or my HD, I wanted something new and cutting edge so to speak. Something with real brakes and acceleration to match, but simple. Hence, the M900 Cromo, my Italian Mistress. I love that bike. My favorite ride.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I looked at the SV650, nice specs but didn't 'speak' to me (uniinspired styling, not sexy) Would have loved to have an MV Augusta Brutale but no dealer around me (also more $$)
I'm happy with my choice, only problem is I'm so attached to my monster that if I want a bigger bike it means a second bike...I could never get rid of Gina...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Howdy.

I was moving back into sporty stuff after a 10 year layoff. I had a (very nice) Kawasaki W650 (the Bonneville retro). It was fine, but I wanted more fun and performance in the hills.

When I used to ride Enduros, I'll never forget the difference in handling when I moved from Japanese bikes to EU (a Husky). It was just astonishing. The first time I heard a Duc go by I was hooked on that sound. The Monster didn't grab me right at first, but when I really started looking at them it was all over.

When I looked at the SV, it just didn't have "it"--you know, that gut level feeling. The Monster mos def does have it....

--New Monster Owner--

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a Suzuki SV650 and I can tell you that it is a very good motorcycle for the $$$. Great motor, so-so suspension. It makes a LOT more power than a 600 Monster. SV650 owners are passionate about their bikes and spend a lot of time and money modding them. I can see why, though. Take a look at it - it is a very ugly motorcycle! I actually like the angular looks of the new SV650 better than the old ones. I bought mine as a re-entry ride. Now I am looking for a Monster because Monsters are 8).

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have tried several times NOT to get a duck.

I have tried triumphs, buells etc...they all feel like I am trying to push a wheelbarrow.

even after my 900ss bucked me off, I still came back to the ducks...

8)

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Thought about the SV650, FZ6, and the Buell Firebolt first but I've always like Ducati Monsters. Just thought that the Monster would be too expensive. Turned out I was able to pick up an 02 750 leftover for less than a new 620.

I like the Ducati because of the look, the handling and it lends itself to be modified. Lots of parts out there and great advice on this board too.

I'm happy with my monster...and can't wait to get out and ride it more....cold as a witches tit in a brass bra here....brrrrr.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When I bought my 02' 750 last March, I was seriously considering a SV650. I liked the angular body style of the 03's but, ended up deciding on the Duc due to the overall feel and the street fighter look. All in all, I don't think you could go wrong either way...they have many similarities: v-twin, relatively light, very customizeable, and reliable....

with that said there is nothing like a ducati...you'll understand if you get one... ;)

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have a 02 620 and was seriously considering a SV650. My head said: "That the Suzuki is a very reasonable machine, decent looks, good performance, Jap reliability." Than my heart, ego, balls, gut and girlfriend all told me "Ducati"

The SV650 I found to be much more bulky, wider tank, big ol' radiator in front, cubby butt. Plus, those welds on the frame are ugly as sin...how about sanding those eyesores down fellas?

I bought my 620 and never once thought about the Suzuki again. I'm sure if you buy the SV650 it's going to be a great bike but I think there is going to be a little voice with an Italian accent in your head saying "Ducati" every time you hop on your Suzuki

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is the only major purchase I have ever made without regard to anything else avalible...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I seriously considered buying an SV650. Took lots of test rides, read a lot of reviews... all the 'experts' say the SV650 is the best bike for the money. Maybe it is, on paper, but it falls short in the three C's which are just as important when buying a bike as hp, torque, and kit: Class, Character, Cool. The Suzuki falls flat in all three.

I'll tell you what: buy the Ducati and you'll occaisionally regret it when you pay for a service interval. Buy the Suzuki and every time you ride you'll wish you had a Ducati instead.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i considered the SV650 cause i waslooking for a naked bike. it was considerably cheaper and had more power than the monster 620. however, i didnt want to settle for a suzuki with run-of-the-mill jap parts (no brembos, no steel braided lines, etc.).knowing that the 620 was under powered i decided to kill the SV by buying an 800.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
The 620 was the only bike the wife would consider. She looked at and test rode the SV as well as a few others but said the Monster was the only one with soul. What more could a guy ask for than a woman who wants a Ducati? Similarly I have owned many Japanese street bikes and the S4r I have now is the only bike at a dealership that has ever grabbed me when walking past and would not let go. Get it, don't look back, you'll love it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts