Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mechanically inclined Ducatisti,

Well I was buying moto parts for my 2001 M900 that is out of warranty of course. After buying the parts I had to put them on.
About a year ago I put on a paulimoto pressure plate and cover , but left the stock springs in and....you guessed it they rusted, so I bought new stainless steel ones to replace them. No problems with the first install .

This time however, when I released the pressure on the springs and took them off, the whole clutch pack seemed to be moving on its own (I did not touch the clutch lever at all). Strange I thought, but kept going anyway. When I reinstalled the stainless steel springs, the plate and springs were able to rotate freely without engaging the clutch. Also, I was able to tighten down the springs so much that they looked fully compressed.

I then tried the clutch and it seemed to compress the springs a little more, but since they were already almost fully compressed, the clutch was tight. So I took the springs off again and pulled out the pressure plate and the "throw out rod" (I think it is called that) attached to it and put them back in the clutch pack. I then re-installed the springs and the same thing started to happen. I got about 2/3 of the way done tightening the springs and the pressure plate was still rotating freely, so I tried the clutch again just to see what would happen (I know I shouldn't but I did). As I actuated the clutch a hissing sound of air was heard. I immeadiatley released the clutch and looked at the pressure plate and the springs were noticeably less commpressed. I continued tightening the springs and they were able to bottom out this time. The first time I tried it, the springs were almost fully compressed and the bolts had not bottomed out yet.

After I was finished, I put the bike in gear engaging the clutch and the clutch seemed to work as it should. I could put the bike in gear (engine off) and when I tried to roll the bike it wouldn't go. When I engaged the clutch, with the bike in gear I could roll it. So, i think the clutch is OK, but I am not sure because of the problems, air hissing sounds, etc.

Sorry for the long winded description, but I figure the more info the better to get the problem solved if there is one. My questions are 1) did I screw the clutch or bike up? and 2) I really want to start the bike up, but I am afraid if I do that and I messed something up, would I lose the engine? (the bike is not paid off yet, I bought it new from the dealer over two years ago). Oh, one other thing. I live in Minnesota and can't really go on a test ride till spring probably.

Thanks for the help,

Westy

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Re: Did I screw it up? Need some advice/help

It sounds like you didn't index the pressure plate properly. There should be a mark on the p-plate that corresponds to a mark on the clutch center hub. At least I think that's where the other mark is.

It also sounds like on re-install you got it right. Not sure about the hissing sound, but you might check to see if you blew the seal in the slave cyl. If you remove the sprocket cover on the left side you can look where the pushrod enters the slave and see if you have a leak. Also monitor the fluid in the clutch reservoir if you don't find a leak. Sometimes they are tough to see.

Good luck with it and let us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts

Don't know what the hissing air noise was, probably something unrelated.

If your clutch works as well as you describe with the engine off I see no reason not to start the engine. From the description everything is in place and working properly.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts

ducpainter said:
It sounds like you didn't index the pressure plate properly. There should be a mark on the p-plate that corresponds to a mark on the clutch center hub. At least I think that's where the other mark is.

It also sounds like on re-install you got it right. Not sure about the hissing sound, but you might check to see if you blew the seal in the slave cyl. If you remove the sprocket cover on the left side you can look where the pushrod enters the slave and see if you have a leak. Also monitor the fluid in the clutch reservoir if you don't find a leak. Sometimes they are tough to see.

Good luck with it and let us know how you make out.
+1, i believe ducpainter's got it

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,

I put the battery in and fired it up and...........it worked fine :). I also pulled off the front sprocket cover and didn't see anything that looked like a leak from the slave cylinder. Too bad there was snow/ice on the roads cause after I started it up I really wanted to go for a ride. :mad:

Oh well...only three more months till spring. Thanks again for the help/advice.

Westy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts