Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaving from Brooklyn to Miami. Google maps says it is 1293 miles. I leave on the 28th of December (a week from today). Outside of the heated clothing (read warm gear), ez-pass, cell phone, several maps, what else would you recommend I take on the trip? Any specific recommendations about the trip in general? Anything to look out for? Roads to avoid or travel, places to stay, eat, sleep, see? Has anyone done this trip before on a bike?

·
Registered
145 Posts
.. done it backwords..
make sure to visit Shannondale Park (Appalachian Trail ) in West Virginia - great roads up to 4000ft elevation.
hit some local spots in Carolinas for some tasty BBQ. Watch your speed in Virginia and go nuts in Florida.

enjoy!

·
Registered
218 Posts
How many miles a day are you looking to do ?

When are you heading back - is weather a concern on the return trip ?

May want to pack tools and some chain lube/wax.

Also those chemical heated packets (if you have to stop and your hands are solid cold)

I wear latex gloves under the bike gloves when real real cold - it works

How about a radar detector and GPS ?

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
mjlandy said:
May want to pack tools and some chain lube/wax.
definitely!

-rain gear
-a rag to help with the chain lube
-pick hotel rooms with a jacuzzi! ;)
- take plenty of breaks, if you're tired in the least pull over somewhere! Especially when slabbin, get's boring QUICK!
-keep it slower in Maryland. ;) If you can take a detour and have the time (also very dependant on weather!), go down the Blue Ridge Parkway if you haven't before. (Only did a portion of this last year with Terry on our way to Deal's Gap/Tail of the Dragon, rode back home in a hurricane, wasn't fun!)
-can you hook up an iPod to your bike to charge the battery, did I mention how boring slab is??

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback.

I am planning on doing about 400-500 a day on the S2R800. It all depends on the weather. It does not look too bad at this point, but will know more as the time comes. For the return trip, I am a bit worried since the weather usually gets worst in the north around that time of the year. But I do not have any time constrains.

Thanks for the advice on the speed limit. Am paranoid about the south. Have heard too many horror stories.

mjlandy said:
Also those chemical heated packets (if you have to stop and your hands are solid cold)

I wear latex gloves under the bike gloves when real real cold - it works

I have used both and they work like a charm. I already have some from previous 400 miles a day trips. Thanks for the reminder!

I will most definitely take my two ipods. During my trip to Canada, I ran out of juice and the white noise really got to me. Thanks for the reminder.

Will get all the tools/ supplies mentioned above. In my previous "long" trip I did not take anything with me and fortunately I did not need it. But it is better to be prepared than a$$ out... Have never done the GPS thing and my 'riding partner in crime' (rides a BMW GS 1200) is a complete gadget freak so I will leave that to him.

As for the riding spots... will put them in order and map them out. Hopefully we can do more than just slabs!

Once again, thanks for the advice. If you have more, please send them along.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Amphetamines! >:D Or No-Doz if you insist. A couplea power bars or whetever. Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, ginseng, red bull. Really all these things are just to give you a lift if you're fading fast and 50 miles from a hotel. Some Advil will help a sore back. Granted I'm a coldweather riding noob but NOTHING keeps me warm like a scarf while I'm riding. Ride safe, have a blast and post some pics when you get back.

Merry Xmas!

-Dan

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Dan.

I did not think about drugs. Will make sure to pack them and also to post pictures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The south is not all that bad in terms of traffic tickets. If you stay within 8-10 mph of the posted limit, you won't have trouble. New York plates do sometimes look like trophies to a southern LEO, though. What's worse is that you could easily run into a bunch of snow anywhere north of Georgia this time of year. It would be really good to check weather every day for awhile before making a final decision. I don't handle extreme cold so well anymore, so maybe I'm just paranoid, but bikes don't work well in snow and ice.

My $.02

Jack

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Buff seems cool... Not sure if I can find one before getting on the road... the weather doesn't seem bad....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally made it back!!! What an excellent trip! Highly recommended it. Here are some pics: http://www.nonscape.com/1293/ If you click on the menu at the lower right, you can pull up a description for the pictures. I believe it is the second button from the left.

I will save you the long post mainly because I had started to type some stuff and lost it... here are some highlights:

Day 1, made bad time leaving, especially on 81 south, which is a two lane road with tons of trucks. Had to dip all day long. The temperature was bitter cold and it made for poor miles. Stayed in Virginia, far away from our target of Atlanta.

Day 2: Got a good early start despite the cold. Avoided cops all day. Made it to Jacksonville. A 700 miles day. Cut off a truck a bit too close for comfort, which made me more cautious for the rest of the trip, at least until the next day when we hit speeds of 125 and up...

Day 3: Florida was a breeze. Those slabs are wide, straight and boring. The only fun was getting the bike past 125. At some point we stopped at a gas station only to realize that our bank cards had been suspended. It appeared as the classic case of stolen cards. Stopping at gas stations all the way down. Make sure to check in with your bank before heading on a road trip. We made it to Miami by 5.30 pm. It was a good day.

On the return part:
Day 1. Almost ran out of gas. Somewhere on 75 (in Florida) there is a really bad stretch of little to no gas stations. Did 153 miles on one tank. We made it to Atlanta, close to 700 miles in one day.

Day 2. There was a Tornado watch going through Atlanta so we left late to avoid the heavy rain. Alas, did not fair out well at all. Rode in the pouring rain for more than 6 hours. It was miserable. Made it to Charlotte. About a 400 mile day. Ipod an out for the last 150 miles. All my gear was soaking, even the waterproof stuff.

Day 3. Made it from Charlotte North Carolina to Brooklyn New York in one day. Made excellent time. Did not speed too much. Outside of the Washington DC area and Baltimore which sucked for traffic and unfriendly bikers, we had a great time riding the last day.

Top speed: +125 miles per hour.
Most miles on a single gas tank: 140 miles before light came on, 153 total before re-gassing.
Total miles for the trip: 3200 miles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts