Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys the ignitions systems is mess up, the needle bearing got torn and I am replacing it my self.....

I believe the problem is the I am missing a part called Belleville Washer (does not appear in parts catalog) can someone give the part number or where can I get it? Please refer to the pic

Attachments

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Guys the ignitions systems is mess up, the needle bearing got torn and I am replacing it my self.....

I believe the problem is the I am missing a part called Belleville Washer (does not appear in parts catalog) can someone give the part number or where can I get it? Please refer to the pic
Belleville Washers are common on Euro and Japanese equipment. Try Ace Hardware.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I am curious about what you were doing. Was it a bearing failure, sprag replacement or what?

Having just done a sprag job on my 1995 M900 I will share with you my observations but I am not sure your model will be identical.

The needle roller bearing sits in the starter gear which spins on the crank in the back of the fly wheel. The needle roller sits on a bush on the crankshaft. Very important is that there is a shim which sits between the starter gear and a gear on the back side of the cankshaft which powers the valve gear drive.

The starter gear fits into the back of the flywheel grabbing the flywheel in one direction, free wheeling in the other direction. When putting the flywheel starter gear assembly back on, it is vital that the shim is not displaced. Since you cant see it once you have reassembled it, I use a generous amount of stiff grease to hold the shim in place, and I sit it slightly back on the bush so that when I push the flywheel combo onto the crank it pushes the shim hard up against the gear and the grease holds it in place.

Then fit the alternator rotor onto the crank taking care the correct side it facing out. On mine the Ducati brand on the rotor faces towards the bike (ie on inside). The belleville washer fits under the 30MM nut holding the rotor in place. It should be put on with the concave side facing into the bike. It is in effect a very powerful spring washer. Clean threads immaculately and use high strength loctite and torque up to 130 ft lbs at least.

I suspect the belleville wash could be replaced if nichols double lock nuts are used.

There are very good materials on the web under sprag replacement which cover off this part of the bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts