Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an idea that has probably already been thought of, but I think it could be an awsome reality someday. It would be a design that could reflect the bad a$$ design Ducati is known for today except in a sports car kind of way of course, and it could be named after the man who is credited for getting the whole desmo design rolling. It would be called the FT or the Fabio Taglioni. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
check out the latest issue of RRX. there is a picture in there of a 1500cc desmo V8 formula one engine. Taglioni built it for OSCA (Carlo maserati) for the 1961 race season. it was tested but never raced

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Le Pirate said:
check out the latest issue of RRX. there is a picture in there of a 1500cc desmo V8 formula one engine. Taglioni built it for OSCA (Carlo maserati) for the 1961 race season. it was tested but never raced
Yeah Lepirate that's what I'm talkin bout. Now just drop that engine in a sweet sporty affordable car body like a cross between the new lotus' and a mustang. 8)

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I'm thinking somebody else use desmo before Mercedes like right after the turn of the century (the one before last). Have to look that one up.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Again Wikipedia to the rescue.....
"Fully controlled valve movement was thought of in the earliest days of engine development, but devising a system that worked reliably, and was not overly complex, took a long time. Desmodromic valve systems are first mentioned in patents in 1896 by Gustav Mees, and in 1907 the Aries is described as having a V4 engine with "desmodromique" valve actuation, but details are scarce. The 1914 Grand Prix Delage used a desmodromic valve system (quite unlike the present day Ducati system). [1]

Azzariti, a short lived Italian manufacturer from 1933 to 1934, produced 173 cc and 348 cc twin cylinder engines, some of which had desmodromic valve gear, with the valve being closed by a separate camshaft.[2]

In 1956 Fabio Taglioni, Ducati Engineer, developed a desmodromic valve system for the Ducati 125 Grand Prix, creating the Ducati 125 Desmo. The engineers that came after him continued that development, and Ducati hold a number of patents relating to Desmodromics."

·
Registered
702 Posts
sevenreds said:
there are lancias with ducati engines in them
I have been a Duc fan for a long time and a Lancia fan even longer and I have never once heard that line. Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Info from the horse's mouth, FWIW:
http://www.ducati.com/bikes/techcafe.jhtml?artID=5&detail=article&part=technical

A pretty comprehensive list:
http://members.chello.nl/~wgj.jansen/desmosys.html

I suspect that the factory race team mechanics promised Enzo a beat-down if this had gotten into regular racing service:

Very impressive, but I wouldn't want to deal with the maintenance.

<ring....ring...>
"Yes, Mr. Fitzimmons, we've completed the 6k service on your V-12 Desmo F916. That will be $18,412.96; cash, check, or charge?"
"Oh, and do you want to keep the old shims? There's 14 openers and 17 closers."
" :'( "
"Yes, Mr. Fitzimmons, that's a very expensive service. But it could have been worse. You only had 12 flaking rockers."

·
Registered
702 Posts
sevenreds said:
If you are referring to the bit about the Lancia 8.32 then you reading a little to much into that sentence. The 8.32 engine was a Ferrari V-8 pretty much straight out of the 328 GTB/S line. Ducati probably assembled them because Ferrari did not have enough capacity to supply Lancia AND themselves. The engine was in no way, shape, or form, a Ducati engine.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Alright, now that I have read the whole Ducati.com article, what I said just a minute ago is correct (guess I could have left out some of that post). I was incorrect about what model Ferrari car the engine came from. I remembered incorrectly it was from the 328 line but the Thema borrowed its engine from the 308.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
SP3 said:
Alright, now that I have read the whole Ducati.com article, what I said just a minute ago is correct (guess I could have left out some of that post). I was incorrect about what model Ferrari car the engine came from. I remembered incorrectly it was from the 328 line but the Thema borrowed its engine from the 308.
if it makes you feel any better, the 328 is still part of the 308 "series". [cheeky]

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yeah, I know. The 328 was just a face-lift of the 308. Not a very good one either, IMO. The 308 was (is still) a very pretty car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts