Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a couple Harleys and some Jap cruisers. Everyone keeps telling me about the dreaded Desmo valve adjustments.

How much does this procedure typically run? And at what mileage?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Ducatis are unique in that they have rocker arms to open the valves and close the valves. They do not use large springs to close the valves. The factory suggests 6,000 miles between valve adjustments. Shims of differenct sizes are required to actually change the clearances between the rocker arms and the shims.

Valve adjustment on 2V bikes is much easier than on 4V bikes for a few reasons. The 2V bike has less valves to adjust and it is easier to get to the valve train on 2V bikes.

The valve adjustment is not that difficult of course if you know what you are doing. I bought video from Pro Italia and viewed about 5 times to understand all the steps in the procedure. Once you understand each step, it is fairly straight forward. Each time I do it, it also gets easier as you figure out little tricks by trial and error.

I would suggest that if you have done some wrenching, you could easily learn the procedure.

Mike G
94 M900 and 99 ST4
www.emsduc.com

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
oops, didnt answer your question about the cost at a dealer. I have never taken my bikes in for service so am not sure, but it can be pricey I hear.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
It's not thaaaat bad. My 6K service was $350, of which probably $200 was the valve adjust. My KLR650 6K service was $250 and that's a single. Not a huge difference. As Mike said, the four valvers are probably somewhat more expensive.

·
Registered
140 Posts
$200??!!! I'm movin'!

I do almost all my own work, thanks in large measure to this board, other related sources, and my sheer obstinance. But I have thus far grudgingly drawn the line at the valves - much to my pocket's dismay.

From my experience, many bike repair shops won't even touch the Duc adjustment, relagating you to the dealer. In the case of the DC area, you can count on about two fingers within 90 miles those willing to do it. A few fingers more if you're willing to go half way across a state. I just had mine "adjusted" not too long ago. It was a flat labor rate of some 4.5 hours or so. As if bending over wasn't bad enough, everything was within specs. H*ll, I would have felt even a little bit better about it if they had to replace or swap some shims or something! Doesn't matter - $375, without tax. It's like buying a lame sandwich at the airport: where else ya gonna go?? I've begun my homework and I plan upon doing it myself next time.

My 2 cents? Check ducati.suite and ducati.tech. Search this board for standing advice (and part and tool sourcing.) And if you feel as though you may be up to it, order the video. (Also, search here for a maintenance schedule. I seem to remember one posted, or a link to a .pdf) And familiarize yourself with the job. Or write a check. Me? I plan on saving my money for all the continuing tasty mods I have planned. 8)

Good luck.

·
0 Posts
Very inspirational. I'm not a full blown mechanic of any sort but I hav ebeen blessed with the ability to figure things out. I have my 6,000 miles schedule this week and am dreading the cost (roughly $250). I imght cancel and see if I can work this out myself.

R.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Chris, um, did I not make this very suggestion. Er, just above. ??? Trusting that full posts are read, for reference, it would be terrific to learn why I was so obviously unhelpful with respect to this issue and how I can be a better and more effective contributor to this community in the future. Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

·
Registered
588 Posts
Dcduc,
your right, sorry brousing too quickly. Didn't see the web lings in yellow, so just assumed.....................never just assume eh :-[

·
Registered
140 Posts
(Mea Culpa for stealing this thread)

No worries Chris. Frankly, I've been following your exploits on this board for some time. Truth be told, if my little sorry a** was stranded somewhere with little more than a ball of twine, half a left shoe, a pack of gum, a coat hanger and a cell phone, I'd call you to help me sort through things. Time and again you have proven to be crazy resilient and resourcesful as h*ll. I admire that. It's a something that too often has been lost on too many

Well done.

Cheers,

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts