Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys it's been a minute since I've posted.
I just recently had my 696 in the shop for a full Desmo service and I was curious to see what other owners have noticed after they got the bike back as far as how much better it seems to run. Changes in how it responds, sounds ect.

I'm not sure if it's all in my head because I've missed my bike for 3 weeks but it just sounds louder/deeper and feels so much more responsive and torquey...

So let me know what you guys think I'm falling in love all over again with this machine

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm not sure if it's all in my head because I've missed my bike for 3 weeks but it just sounds louder/deeper and feels so much more responsive and torquey...
Is it a real improvement, or just in your head?
I'm thinking perception is everything. If you think it is better, it IS better.
And face it, freshly serviced is better. :cool:

·
Registered
2012 Monster 1100 EVO -- 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750 -- 2011 Monster 796 (wife's)
27 Posts
I had the full service on my 1100 EVO last year. I did not notice any difference in the performance, but over time I have noticed that the bike is a tad more cold-natured. By that I mean that on cold day it takes longer to crank and it takes a noticeable amount of time to warm up. It may not have anything to do with the service, but I noticed it since then. It used to be I would just crank and go without any problem, but now if I do not allow a few min for it to warm up, it sometimes stalls when I let off the throttle. My only guess is that the spark plug gap is different, but it hasn't been bad enough for me to look into it. It also may be that I don't ride it as frequently because given the Covid situation, I work at home now and only ride on the weekends.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I never noticed a difference on my old 750 Dark, or on any other bike for that matter, and I’ve had some pretty high mileage bikes. I think the reason for that is because those service intervals are designed to keep your bike running well. You wouldn’t want to wait until it was actually a problem before you did something about it, right? That being said, I definitely have more piece of mind after I know I’ve done a full service on one of my bikes!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think the reason for that is because those service intervals are designed to keep your bike running well. Y
I have told the tech more than once, it's running good, and I want to keep it that way.
That is why I am here today. It's due for service. :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
what I've noticed...from doing my own...is that the space you want your clearances in...is in the middle...it's a bell curve...not a linear scale of awesome to shite....when things are ok...things ARE ok...but when they drift to one end... Anomalies start to creep in....you might not notice anything on the first service...it was mostly good...the bad was brought in to alignment...the rest are probably at rest...but if they're close to the edge of the curve...and they drift closer before the next check....some characteristics are going to be...well... different...at times

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a heavy 7500mile service done on my Evo... had the cams degreed, valves done, belts, plugs, and co trims set. Rides like a different bike. Although my bike had some lean fuelling down low and throttled like a bucking pig under ~2500rpms.
I am convinced that is why the previous owner sold it. It was that bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a heavy 7500mile service done on my Evo... had the cams degreed, valves done, belts, plugs, and co trims set. Rides like a different bike. Although my bike had some lean fuelling down low and throttled like a bucking pig under ~2500rpms.
I am convinced that is why the previous owner sold it. It was that bad.
That's exactly what I had done with mine. Previous owner never took it in and I was rolling on 12k so I wanted to make sure I took better care of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts