Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I almost didnt buy a Ducati because of all the nightmare stories of how it takes some guru genious to adjust desmo valves... But I loved the Monster so I got one anyway.

Not trusting dealers due to numerous troubles in the past, I decided to do my own. I have to preface by saying that I consider myself a fairly skilled wrench turner and my bike is a 2V but...

What the heck is everybody talking about?!? This is waaaay easier that the shims on my Triumph, and easier than my last Kawasaki too.

This must be a conspiracy by the dealers to keep the money rolling in.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
you should start a discount service center. Charge half the price. You will be rich!!! I will be your manager and only take 20%. I think that is a fair cut. ;)

T

·
0 Posts
I think people shy away from the desmo valves because to is foreign to them. They really are not too bad to deal with.

S

·
0 Posts
the 2v'd bikes are apparently easier to deal with than the 4v'd bikes. not just because there's 1/2 the valves, but because of accessibility, etc...

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Jeff, what did you do about shims?? I have no problem checking them, but thte isue I always had with older jap bikes was getting the shims.. Measure, remove current shims, calculate new shm size, got to dealer, hope he has right ones, etc...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flynfink,

My local dealer will trade shims. They may not always have the right ones, but one way or the other (they take 'em out measure calculate etc... or I do it) there is still a risk that shims will need to be ordered.

Plus, I'm lucky enough to have 3 Duc dealers within 45-minutes drive, so somebody's bound to have them.

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts