Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just got back from the Woodbridge Demo day and had to hop right on the computer for work (ungh)... so I figured I'd waste some time on the DML.

It was a great time. A pack of rode down from Alexandria and rolled in just after 10. The demo bikes were all parked out front, just waiting. The colemans gang had all the paper work all set for us, doughuts (Krispy Kreme!) and coffee waiting too.

There was a flurry of waivier singing and bike time slot choosing.. then we were off.

We were stanged in 30 minute blocks with a 25 min loop through the area. Good little loop considering the constraints placed by time, traffic and the insurance man. Enough to get a taste for the bike.. and most importantly enough to leave you wanting more.

There was very little wasted time between runs and they were right on time. If I'd had more time I probably could have had ridden all the bikes.. twice for some. Sadly I had to go.

Though monsters are my 1st love, and the s4r felt awsome, my favorite on the day was the Multistrada. That bike plastered a goofy grin on my face.

Thanks to Brett, Lucy Ben and the other colemans folks for setting up a cool event. [thumbsup] Can't wait for more

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Absolutely a fun day. Thank you Lucy, Brett and Ben, and the other staff who came in to help. The pizza was just perfect to get me through the chilly ride home too.

I think I'm spoiled by brakes, motor, and suspension on my bike, but an ST3 with Ohlins and something to firm up the brakes would be an awsome two-up ride.

And I didn't want to take away from anyone's spot on the s4r so I didn't ride it (I think I know how the motor feels ;D) but how many demo riders wheelied it :angel:?

Thanks again.

Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Awesome arrangement and it was great to meet some of you guys! Thanks Gen for meeting me in Crystal City and introducing me to the group! I didn't stay for the pizza cus I was kinda hoping to testdrive a 999s or 999r but they didn't have one. Someone mentioned rain around noon (which of course never happened) so I took off early. Hit me up for rides any day. Even if it's just to Misah for coffee!

laters

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Statler said:
;D) but how many demo riders wheelied it :angel:?
>:D

Next spring I will be an ST3 owner.

Thanks to all the Colemans crew for a great event. The pizza for lunch was a nice touch. Thanks!

It was definately intesting to ride different types of Ducs. Even though they were all different i was impressed by how they all have a certain familiarity.

My impressions (in order of my likes)

The ST3s - This is the bike I should have bought right off the bat. Great chassis, great motor. A very intutive, fluid bike. You think about what you want to do and it does it. My che was at one with this bike. I love my Monster and its the bike i wanted, but the ST3 is the bike that fits my needs and style the most. Im gonna keep my 620 if I can, but i will not hessitate for a second to trade it in on an ST3s if i have to. In cycling the way you know you have a perfect bicycle is that is dissapears from under you when you ride it. The ST3 is that kind of motorcycle.

Now if it only had the s4r's radial brakes and testaretta engine....

The Monster S4R Tesstaretta - This is one sick ride! I didnt even realize i had the front wheel off the ground untill it was back on the ground! This is the bike that would turn me into a no account suspended license riding the bus kinda Mofo.

The Multistrada 1100 - If i lived in NoVA and had to deal with the traffic that goes with living in NoVA, this would be my bike. Heeps of fun, great ergo, but not as smooth and liveable as the ST3. I had to work more to ride this bike than the ST3. There was more windblast too even though it has a taller screen the the ST. The high center of gravity is a little off putting to me also. I dont have very much dirt riding experience, so the riding style was a bit strange. But on the Multi, weird is good!

The GT1000. Cool bike, great sound, great engine. Unfortuantly not very practical for my needs. I was freezing on this bike. The ergos are good, but the bikes handling is not as fluid and smooth any of the other Ducatis. The non-adjustable suspension didnt help, but my 620 is not adjustable either, but the M620 has a tighter chassis and it tracks and handles much better than the GT1000. The ride was vaguely familiar as what i remember of a UJM.

These were the only 4 i rode. Bottom line is that they were all great bikes! If i had money and space id buy one of each!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Great event!!!! [thumbsup] Thanks toBrett, Lucy, Ben, and all WB Coleman staff. Really enjoyed myself: dropped my S2R for service and even bought a jacket. No even taking about the rides, which was the best part. Each one felt different but it was also obvious that they were part of the same Duc family. Thanks for a great day with great people (DML and WB).

Aziz

·
Registered
105 Posts
Much agreed with everyone...big kudos to Ben, Lucy, Brett and the rest of the staff. Awesome idea, especially holding it on an 'off-day' and opening the store for us exclusively! Its small things like this that ensure a faithful customer base, and for all my riding needs (while I'm in the DC area), I am sure to head to Coleman's WB!!

I have to agree with Blueshark...the ST3 was definitely the head of the class! It was hooked up and tracked like it was on rails...when I turned my head and thought about doing something, the bike responded with aplomb! Uber comfortable, super smooth and plenty of power, this is a bike for the everyday, everyman type of riding. I can't wait to get mine (next spring) and hit up the Blue Ridge Mtns, NC, NE, and anywhere else I can think of!

The GT1000 was a very fun ride, and if I had the coin, I would have one of those please, too! The Multi 1100 was very intriguing and fun, but in some instances, I found myself not quite where I wanted to be headed into a turn, and almost had to wrestle it into position to point it where I want it...its a very interactive ride and quite comfy, save for the seat thats a *touch* harder than the ST. The Sport1000 was also an interesting ride, and the power delivery and acceleration was a blast to behold, however, the position is too reminiscent of a Monster with clip-ons, and the angular rear section of the tank is uncomfortable to sit behind. But again, I would love them all, if I had the dinero (and space)!!

Many thanks again to Ben, Lucy, Brett, and everyone that worked to put on this great event. I can't wait till the Coleman's WB Spring Demo Day!

Below are some pics of riders' bikes I took on my way out.

[attachment deleted by admin]

G

·
Brett, Lucy, Ben and the Colman Gang:

Thank you all VERY much for holding the private demo day for CAM. It was a blast!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was polite to the s4r's engine and didn't make any wheelie attempts.. just saved that for my 900 going across PW pkwy >:D

Of the bikes I got to ride, I was tossed up between the S4R and the Multi. Thoughts on all:

S4R: Comfy and familiar since it's a monster. Plenty of power, but a remarkable smooth application of it. Before we pulled out, I was getting a feel for the clutch, and she'd pull her weight and mine forward at idle.

The smoothness when you applied the power could be trouble. Trouble in the sense, you'll be going way fast before you know it. But, it was nice and well mannered during the couple slow maneuvers. Doesn't have the visceral grunt of the 900 it seemed.. but this might be one of those Mustang vs. Thorough bred horse analogy times.

And I have love for those radial brakes.. though I almost pulled an inadvertent stoppie

Multi 1100: Body posture took a bit of getting used to. But once I settled in a bit this bike was great fun. Tons of lean capacity and lots of leverage on the bars would make this a fun bike in the twists, and the upright posture would make it comfy for a long haul. Though there was a bit of vibration in the saddle that might get funky.

The posture made me feel like a proper respectable citizen... but that bike could be quick as any of the 'sportier' bikes on the demo line. I found it to be quicker than the 1K DS engine on the Sport 1000 i rode.

Front brake seemed a little weak, considering they were the 4 pistons. I know those brakes can generate a lot of power. I figure it's just that they were brand new and might not be fully bed in.

Didn't get a chance to ride the ST - after the other raves, I wish I'd had time.

Sport 1000 Biposto
: Great looks, but left me feeling flat. The 1k DS in that bike didn't seem to want to get up an go. Part of it might have been me, since I was bugged by a bit of slack in the throttle and probably had a touch of nerve as a result.

The posture was too down for me... It would be ok for a bit, but I think it would wear on me pretty quickly. Can't imagine riding the mono version for too long, since it doesn't have the risers.

Love the look. But the off the show room floor performance seems too tame for a liter engine. But i did ride it right after the S4R...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Totally fun day, glad Ian called me a chicken for almost bailing out. Glad someone told me to give the ST3 a try, it was my favorite.

Brett, Lucy, and Ben, you guys rock.

Thanks Alex for leading us through the twisties on the way home--did you see that Porsche guy casting loving looks at our bikes? Hope you got home ok Jen, I headed for home shortly after we hit Lee Hwy.

Good to see everyone, and great to see Spider work his suicide shift with such skill.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Liam said:
I'm bummed I didn't make it but I felt like poo poo and had no business being on a bike.
+1 ON THAT....was up till almost 4am from the DJ gig Saturday night and was drinking sooo much that I had a nice looloo of a hangover....so much for doing an Irish Car Bomb an hour with the bartender along with all the other drinks I was consuming and people bought me!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks to all of the Coleman crew who sacrificed an off day (and several days of planning) to deal with us [clap]. Definitely think about keeping in stock the more generic/common accessories like tail chop kit, mirrors, frame sliders, 14t, lowering link, brake levers, etc. Otherwise, the selection is great, including the new '07 stuff. I already have a wish list for after I get my next raise.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Genuine said:
I already have a wish list for after I get my next raise.
Does that include a new S2R 1000? [cheeky]

Thanks, gang, for coming out. Next time we'll try to have more bikes! We've got another demo day planned for the spring, so around March start looking for the post. We always have a blast with CAM, which is probably why the three of us are involved. It's just a great group of people!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks again to the Colemans staff for setting this up.

I arrived late but was still able to sample a Sport1000 and GT1000. The riding position on the Sport1000 wasn't as extreme as I expected but then I realized it was an '07 model with slightly higher bars than the '06. The GT was interesting but it really didn't get my blood racing.

The Monster S4Rs was sweet looking in the Gray/red combo. I tend to think all Monsters should be air cooled but that bike had me re-evaluating my opinions. Too bad I couldn't take it for a spin...

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's awesome to hear Spring Demo is on the pipe-line... since I didn't get my license until today, I'll finally be able to share the great fun you all have been partaking. None the less, very friendly and helpful crew @ Coleman, wicked bikes to admire, and hope to meet more CAMers in the future.
-R

1 - 20 of 20 Posts