Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my fellow Monster owners, and to those of you I have had the pleasure of meeting and riding with.
Wanted to share a life lesson. I'm sure all of us are tired of people driving like idiots when were on our bikes or not. How many times have you said thank God I wasn't on my bike. Tonight my frustration nearly cost me more than I was willing to pay

I took my wife out to dinner tonight and our order got lost for some reason. Two other tables that were seated after us were eating before I got up and went to the manager. He went into this excuse that the computer screwed up and it was being prepared. My question to him was, WHY did I have to get up and find you to find that out. So I left with my wife for good old reliable In-N-Out.

I was heading down the road when someone pulled out from a side street cutting me and the car next to me off. I flashed my brights at him to let him know I was there and then he slams on his brakes. I had to swerve to go around him. Then he dives towards my car and forces me to swerve again.
By this time my Testosterone has kicked in and I'm not going to take this anymore so I swerve back at him. Then I pull over as he cuts me off again. By this time my wife is scared and telling me to leave it alone drive on. But NO Testosterone has taken over and I get out of the car, I end up running after this guy trying to get his license # and restrain myself from pummeling him in the process.
So this is where the lesson starts.........

The guy stops, opens up the rear hatch on his car and pulls out a gun and starts coming after me...... I, adrenalin and all manage to turn and run back towards the main street. And what do I see sitting at the light. A Glendale police officer with his window down.
I yell at him that the guy behind me has a gun and is about to hop into his car and bolt.
He blocks the guys car and calls for back-up, 2 more police cars show up and begin to search the car. The gun turns out to be one of those BB guns that looks like a 9mm semi auto.
End result:they arrested him and took him to jail, attempted assault with a deadly weapon (his car) and brandishing a firearm.

This is what I take from this:
This has less to do with drivers and more to my reactions.
I have to take a closer look at how I react in these situations, my wife was terrified that she was going to be a widow and possibly some harm could come to her.
All of us that ride and I believe I speak for most out there are tired of all drivers that don't pay attention, won't hang up their phone, or just plain think they can do what they want and screw anyone else who's in the way.
We'll tonight I ran into a 20 something who thought he could do whatever he wanted, lost my cool, found out that people who don't care carry guns in their cars and are not afraid enough to pull them.
BB gun tonight in the dark, I couldn't tell........... Blessed.
But any other time I could have wound up dead.

Thanks, and be safe,
Rob

G

·
Hey, man, glad you're OK and got notyhing worse at the end of the ordeal than a scare. There are lots of crazies out there - it's difficult to imagine what motivates some people who have no problem doing serious damage to their fellow human beings. You are better off sloughing off these butt-holes than riskng a melee with them. Take a deep breath and be comforted - most of us out here are decent folks who respect boundaries. Still, it's wiser to avoid the confrontation because you never know when the guy you want to have a discussion with is a freak with a weapon.

G

·
That sir, was some powerful writing about a mortal threat circumstance.

It is scary what we can do when the adrenaline pump kicks in. You went from fight to flight instinctual behavior in the span of seconds.

Your whole world can change in the blink of an eye...and your perspective on what is truly important in life can change right with it.....for the better sometimes if you are able to walk away

Treasure the moment and keep it fresh, because there's a whole world of monsters and idiots out there masquerading as humans.... don't mix it up with them anymore...

IT AIN'T worth it,,,just let them move on and go about their ugly evil stupid or insane business

Death can come on fast, ugly and without warning...seems it likes to work that way....

I learned that lesson a few times in life and had my angels working overtime to keep me going.....

2 years and 4 months ago I was in lower Manhattan working on just another beautiful crystal clear autumn morning when the whole world around me and above me........instantly turned into sh!t in a combat zone....I was outside having a cigarette break

for some reason my reaction was not to run but to stay and help....even after the second plane hit and both towers fell...there are times to be courageous and times to shrug things off

life is indeed a precious gift.....don't squander it proving meaningless points to fools, rather put the effort into what will give your tour on earth immortality in the hearts and minds of those you know and love

you got a wake-up call man...take that lesson and carry it close to your heart

G

·
I think we've all been in situations like that where somebody pisses us off by doing some stupid maneuver in a car. And we all probably react as you did. But it's a great reminder that things can get out of hand in an instant. Glad you and your wife are safe, and thanks for reminding me that stuff like that just ain't important.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Glad it all worked out.

Its a very good reminder for myself as I tend to be a "hot head" at times.

G

·
yeah stuff like this happens too often. Taking a deep breath before you decide the can of wh00p arse needs to be opened is usually a good thing.

Similar incident happened to a neighbor of mine a few years back. He was driving down the interstate and a guy came across 3 lanes to hit an exit, my neighbor already in the offramp lane. My neighbor flashed his lights and gave the horn a polite honk just so the guy knew he was there. Given he had already came across lanes of traffic like a maniac. Well the guy apparently took offense at being reminded the road didnt belong to him. Displayed his IQ via handsign and proceeded to slam on the brakes. My neighbor powered around him and got off the ramp. The guy stayed on his bumper for a few miles flashing lights and yelling out the window. As he neared his home he decided this guy was going to end up following him the whole way and having this reach a peak there wouldn't be good, so he pulls over and into a fast food joint. Nicely Lit. The guy gets out of his car and starts yelling and screaming. My neighbor, tells the guy to just relax, he didn't mean to piss him off but thought he didn't see him. The guy just gets more pissed, goes back to his car and grabs a gun. Turns out is was a unloaded .38 special in such bad shape it would fire but my neighbor didnt know. The one fact that the guy in the car didn't expect was my neighbor is a police detective. 3 shots later the guy was lying dead. It was later found out he had a bad day at work. Sure paid the price.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I think these kind of situations probally hit a little too close to home for most of us. I found that when riding on my bike, when these kinds of situations come up, the best thing to do is get the hell out of there. How easy is it for a pist off kid to bump your bike from the side or from behind? A little tap would do virtually nothing to his car, but could easily end your life. Whenever I got some guy whose bent on racing me or pist off that I split a lane, ride as fast as you safely can to get away from him. Later on, pull over and wait for him to pass. Tail him home and find out where he lives. When he falls asleep, get some skunk urine from your local hunting shop and a syringe. Place the needle through the rubber strip around his window and empty the contents of that said syringe into the interior of his nice big truck. I can't tell you how much better it made me feel...

G

·
I think these kind of situations probally hit a little too close to home for most of us. I found that when riding on my bike, when these kinds of situations come up, the best thing to do is get the hell out of there. How easy is it for a pist off kid to bump your bike from the side or from behind? A little tap would do virtually nothing to his car, but could easily end your life. Whenever I got some guy whose bent on racing me or pist off that I split a lane, ride as fast as you safely can to get away from him. Later on, pull over and wait for him to pass. Tail him home and find out where he lives. When he falls asleep, get some skunk urine from your local hunting shop and a syringe. Place the needle through the rubber strip around his window and empty the contents of that said syringe into the interior of his nice big truck. I can't tell you how much better it made me feel...
man thats so evil I have to give you a smiley [smiley=applause.gif]

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thank you. BTW, I'm not joking. It works wonders! Do you think he heard that? (Heard what?) Heard karma coming and kicking him in the a s s? ;D

G

·
Thank you. BTW, I'm not joking. It works wonders! Do you think he heard that? (Heard what?) Heard karma coming and kicking him in the a s s? ;D
er... it's not Karma when you do it yourself...

hey.. that might make a cool t-shirt or bumper sticker slogan:

"Do-it-yourself Karma"

·
Registered
599 Posts
I like to think of it as taking Karma by the hand and nudging it in the right direction... only a bit quicker..... with a syringe in case Karma has a lack imagination.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I am sitiing here trying to think of something to say about this, but I cant find the words. I guess it is a reality check. I love my horn and high beams, and the magic finger, but reading these experiences makes me wonder if it is all worth it.. So some dumass cut me off- was I hurt? no. Was my vehicle damaged? no.. Is it worth it to add to the problems of society for the sake of my poor bruised ego? Probably not. Glad to hear none of you got hurt, and I am especially glad you shared the experience in an honest way.
Oh, another thing that works well along the lines of the skunk urine is peel and eat shrimp. What you do is eat those lil buggers, and keep the shells in a baggie. Poke a few holes in the baggie and jam it into a heat vent on the car- like the ones in the dash. After a week or two that becomes the most foul odor you have ever smelled. Also works in cubicles too- just make sure you sit on the other side of the building.

·
Registered
413 Posts
About ten years ago I promised myself that I was not going to participate in any confrontations that were driving related. Why ? Because its just not worth it. I look at it this way, although the situatiion feels like its personal, in reality it really isnt. This a$$hole doesn't know me and I dont know him, its better just to let him/her be out of my life as quickly as possible. Now, when a situation happens I just remind myself of that promise and its pretty easy to just let it go. Prisons and graveyards are filled with people who didnt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts