Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had trouble with paint on thier engine casings?

FBF is contacting Ducati to see if they will replace it.
That is eventually going to peel off, don't ya think??
And it keeps getting more and more bubbles!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
YES! I just got Ducati NA to cover it after 3 weeks of harrassing them. I have a post on here somewhere with some pics of my own. All along the corners from the casting I have the same blisters you show on BOTH sides of my bike. I spoke with Mike Norman at Ducati NA who still won't admit it's a finish problem, but now that you have yours, plus I found a brand-new M800 with it, I think DNA will HAVE to pay attention to this.

Let me ask this...is this a 2002 or 2003 bike?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2002

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
same as mine...2002 620ie dark...make sure you let Ducati NA know. I went through hell getting it taken care of-Tuesday I get the covers...retail price is $1100!!! Do it soon---mine started out a little and now it's HORRIBLE.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I wonder how close in line our parts were made....must be a bad batch out there.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mines a Dark also... and I will contact DNA, did you have a reference number or anything?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Nope. The dealer gave me DNA's customer service number and email address and I just called them every couple days. Good luck! Like I said, Mike Norman was who dealt with me at DNA, so you may try him.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have DNA's customer service number, I have the email, but not the number?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Most recent # I have:

( 408 ) 253-0499

Wish you the best of luck.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got word from Phil at FBF, Ducati IS replacing my engine casing!!! Great, he is going to take care of the paper work and order the casing.
I have to work today but my husband is taking the Monster up for Phil to check on that oil leak, he said it may be rear cylinder gasket leak, which is covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oil leak looks to be nothing, near as FBF can tell it was a spill over from the valve adjustment, but we are to watch it. It has not leaked any more since that one time, thats why they think it was spill over from adjustment.They saw no obvious leaks from anywhere.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
DUCnHAR-

How much trouble did DNA give you about fixing your finish? Did you mention you knew someone else with that problem?

Also, watch the other side...chances are it's going to happen there, too, plus your warranty has to be about up, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FBF started the ball rolling with a call to DNA, and within 1 day , they were replacing it. I emailed DNA this morning with a pic and the issue, and they called me twice today and left messages, I called them back and they wanted to know more about the issue and if I got it resolved!! I told them yes and thank-you. And he said he would record all info on my trouble voucher!!

And yes I told both FBF and DNA that it was brought to my attention that this problem had occurred before on other Monsters!

whitedragon, I'm sorry you had more trouble with it than I did, but maybe you were one of the first, and now, they are aware of the problem? My timing site window is leaking oil also, and they are taking care of that too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mine too. Seems like the bubbles appeared overnight. They haven't gotten any worse, but if DNA will warranty it without a ton of agg I might as well have them take care of it. I'll give FBF a call after the holidays and get the ball rolling.

M

·
0 Posts
Hrm i looked at my 2002 750D and it looks fine. I've never been in the rain with mine. Has yours? Did DNA ever determine what the bubbling was? Can you break thru the paint to the metal below? From the pics it looks like the effect you get when you paint parts that are not totally cleaned.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bubbles can be touched when the bike is cold, and nothing happens, BUT when the bike is hot, the bubbles will burst and leave holes if touched.
And mine seemed to appear very quickly too. And they keep spreading.
DNA never gave a reason for the bubbles.

Has any one seen the Chevy " blue " on the cars and trucks that peeled off!!? I think it is that sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Whoops, looks like this thing's contagious. I just looked and I found them in the same place as the picture. I also found one (so far) on the left casing near the slave cyclinder.

DUCnHAR, Are they replacing both sides or just the right side?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far the right casing is the only one involved, they are only replacing that one, that I know of, but my timing sight window is leaking on the left casing and they are fixing that, I'm not sure that they are replacing the whole casing or just the window.
Now you all got me scared, first thing tommorrow I am double checking everything for bubbles!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts