Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys...I need your "professional" opinions.

I am getting my teaching job in the spring, most likely, and as soon as I sign on the dotted line, I'm driving to the nearest Ducati dealership. Great right? Yea, well there's a problem.

I can't decide between an S2R (803) or a 695

I'm a somewhat beginner--been riding for about a year (and a half by the time I buy) but attempting to rack up as many miles as possible. Riding at least 3 days a week (can't always ride due to school/work issues).

So here's some of my thinking and/or what I need...
I want a bike fun to ride around town and that will do well on trips (3 hours or so)
I will most likely mod this bike with clipons, hi mount exhausts, belly pan

I'm 5'4" with no shoes...probably 5'5" with my Setup boots.
I sat on the S2R and i could touch the balls of my feet but would like more foot on the ground.
Wondering if there is a lowering link for the S2R? I know one inch would help significantly.

Ok....
Sooooooo.

I really want the Dark...
Also wondering if there is a possibility of the 695 in a Dark in the future?

I like the styling of the S2r because of the single swing arm, wheels, etc etc.
But I'm wondering if it's too much bike?
Eventhough I just looked up the diff...only 7hp and 11lbs dry weight.

You know, I'm just SUPER bad at decisions and want some pros and cons from people who know whats up.

I will most likely keep this bike for 5 years or more and I already have the mod bug...so part availability is very important.

I am not sure what other info I might have about me and my style that would help.
But...if you think of any other suggestions, and/or questions that would help, let me know.

Thanks for your time! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
+1 on the 800.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
after owning a 750, I'd say the 800 would be perfect. The 750 was ALMOST perfect, it just needed a tiny bit more ooomph after 3yrs of riding it.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info so far guys...

So I've been reading about lowering ideas and seat switching ideas
I think if I buy the S2r I'll try the seat swapping idea first
Then, if it's still not low enough, I'll get her lowered a lil
I only need maybe an inch.
Less if the seat works a bit.

And she'll have frame sliders before she ever leaves the dealer, BELIEVE ME.

Still open to opinions...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I believe you can adjust the ride height in the rear.There's a turnbuckle you can lengthen or shorten.Just make sure to lower the front forks a little also so you have good weight on the front.Oh and get the S2R dark. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The S2R comes with a ride height adjuster, the 695 does not. The S2R only comes in black in '07 not dark so you could probably swap with a 695 dark if your dealer is cool. Go with the S2R.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I have the 800 and will be looking at going up to the 1000 in the next year,although there is really no reason for the change as far as power or handling go what iam saying is the 800 is any amount of a bike and i will never exploit the potential of it.The 695 has had great reviews and i would bet it is a bike that will keep a grin on your dail for a long time the problem is a 1000 sounds cooler (not the engine)and bragging rights count for a small part of riding a bike and i dont care what anyone says we all want to pretend that we can ride our bikes to there limit(very few can) The 800 wont bite you and i have found it still to give me a real buzz i still cant amagine what a s2rs is like to ride with twice the power but i bet it could really bite you bad.So i suppose what iam getting at is you always want that next bike or new model anyway it is a ducati and they are a real pleasure to own and ride

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I've had the exact opposite experience.

My 800 fits me perfectly, and always seems to have more usable power than I ever really need. I doubt I'll upgrade for several years. I didn't like the 1000 as much (power delivery isn't the same - some people agree, some say I dont know what the hell I'm talking about) so I'll never go to a S2R1K but possibly an S4R at a much later date.

The 800 is an absolute kick in the pants - in the city AND in the canyons - so - my money is going into an exhaust system and some other upgrades but I'm not 'upgrading' the bike itself any time soon.

I coudn't care less about 'bragging rights', I'm in it for the experience, and the 800 matches my needs perfectly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Count Desmo said:
OK, your freakin' me out a little bit. That avatar is used by another member.
Sorry I'm freakin you out...I've had the same avatar on every board I've been a member of since 2002.

Thanks guys for ALL your comments!!

I'm upset that there's no 07 S2R Darks.
I wonder if the dealer will still have some 06 Darks still around when I'm looking to buy?

Either way...I think the S2R is exactly what I need.

I appreciate everything guys!

I'm still plannin' mods!

·
Registered
102 Posts
yeah I was surprised by the avatar too, especially when I saw the
low post number I had to do a double take....

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
If you want an S2R Dark, see if you can talk your local Ducati dealer to swap the tank and other items with the ones off a 695 Dark. ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder how kindly they'd take to that idea? I would almost be embarassed to ask...fearing they might make me feel stupid---dealers have a tendency to do that.

Example: Walked into a dealership with 2 guy friends...salesman walks up and focuses on them as he says hello and asks how he can help. They point to me and I do the talking...he's quite surprised. He wasn't rude...I HAVE been to dealers that annoyed me and that PISSES me off.

(I'm a girl).

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Don't let them push you around just because you're a girl, it sounds like you're expecting it, that's not the right way to approach the situation.

I know of plenty of people (most of whom are on the DML) that have done this. You may have to play a little bit of hard ball but you'll get what you want. I doubt you're going to find many left over '06 S2R Darks floating around these days.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I might have to do that then....I am used to negotiating for cars...I'm 22 and have bought 3 brand new cars by myself...BUT bikes I feel less confident with.

But thats why I'm trying to research, do what I can to learn as much as possible.
I want to be informed and make the right decisions.

I also want what I want...so if i can get me a "dark" even if its a fakey--then i will.
If not, I'll ask them to cut however much off the cost so that I can have the tank and such repainted into the matte black.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
That's what I do too, I read up as much as I can and make up my mind before I go to buy most things. It puts you into a position of power. I'd suggest letting the dealer know right upfront what you want, make sure you're ready to buy (don't waste their time) and you'll have a good chance of getting what you're looking for. I doubt you're going to get any dealer to reduce the price to accommodate your desired paint job (they'd actually be losing money but wouldn't be on swapped tanks).

Good luck, just be confident and you should be fine, it's no different to buying a car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the advice.

Since I'm a girl (no jokes here boys)...It is very hard for me to make decisions. I'm constantly wanting others opinions, etc.

I knew from the beginning I wanted a Dark...it was a matter of size....SOOOO now that I've decided on the S2R...I'll do what I can to get it done.

I'm going to try to buy my bike the day i sign my teaching contract.
I have good credit, and with a locked in fulltime teaching job and salary, I can hopefully be approved.
I have no family, kids to feed and no debt besides my car.

So I'm looking forward to it.

Saving up right now for some better winter gear and a new helmet--realized while trying on this weekend in Houston that I have an Arai head not a Shoei head, lol! It's hard with my current job though--but it's just temporary...and easy, and fun--get to be around bikes all day (yea yea they are Harleys, but they are still bikes--when they are running at least [cheeky])
Whooooty!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Don't go in there thinking of yourself as a girl (and the seemingly negative connotation you're putting on that with regards to a motorcycle store), just walk in as a person ready to buy a bike.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Ask your dealer to Demo the bikes and ride them both.
When I bought my bike I just saw the price difference and not knowing alot about the bikes the s2r was just 4 more hp and a single side swingarm. At least that was the way I looked at it when i first went in to buy a bike. Plus my insurance quotes based on engine size, and once you cross the 750 mark they go up quite a bit. I have not ridden the S2R 800 though so it could be well worth the money. I rode an S4RS and it was alot of fun, but I knew it was too much bike for me. I like my 695 though, I can throw it into turns and have alot of fun. I am not riding over the bikes potential and won't be for a long time, so no worries. Everyone I talked to that rides bigger monsters all said that whenever they get on the smaller monsters they just have alot of fun. The forgiving nature of the smaller bikes does that. Ride both bikes, sit on both bikes, get a feel for both bikes. Make the decision for yourself. Then come back and we will tell you what to mod first. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts