Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is a slight re-post, but I have seen a lot of new members on the board recently, so i'm asking again. i've had my current shoei TZ-1 for about 3 years and want to get a new lid and I am having hell of a time deciding which one to get.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I split the difference and got the Z-2. I believe that it comes down to comfort, fit and weight.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I have an RF-1000 and did a comparison test between it and the RF-800 and RF-700.

I can't imagine any helmet AT ALL being enough better than the RF-1000 to justify spending an additional $140. The RF-1000 has excellent ventilation, cuts out noise much better than any other helmet I've worn, and is much more aerodynamic as well. I really like the RF-1000.

D

·
0 Posts
www.helmetharbor.com

Has the RF1000 for as they say under $300 but you have to call to confirm price. I have to buy a new lid and I think I'm going to go w/ this one. b/c the x11 is too expensive... let us know what you decide and how much you paid...

Gotta replace my Arai soooooooooooooon

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I tried on the X-11 and loved it, but couldn't justify the price difference over the RF-1000. After riding a couple of times with the RF-1000 I like it even better than when I first tried it on.

I also wanted a light solid color to minimize the FL heat. The solids are cheaper than the graphics models, too. So I ordered my RF-1000 in white(dealer was out of white) because nobody around here wears white helmets any more.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
helmetharbor has the rf-1000 for about $260, and the x-11 for $395. As they say "$2 helmet for a $2 head", but I don't think the x-11 will protect any better than the rf. ughh!!! decisions, decisions. one thing that really sells me on the x-11 is the ventillation, cuz i really can't stand the instant fogging i get with my current shoei TZ-1. For those with the rf-1000, do you get any significant fogging? Thanks all, this board rocks!

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
My RF-1000 fogs a little at stops - about the same as my Fulmer does. But cracking the visor open and/or moving again clears it instantly.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I'm really puzzled about fogging. Why is it a persistent problem with most helmets?

If you can crack the visor open to make it go away, how difficult can it be to design ventilation that works with the visor securely closed.

The RF1000 fogs quickly, and opening/shutting the visor feels clumsy because it's too wide and flexes. I find myself too preoccupied with it.

If the X11 addresses this issue, the expense would be worth it. Protection-wise there's no difference.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
My understanding is that the X-11 is more of a race helmet. It is lighter than the RF-1000 and I believe it has an additional anti-fogging feature with the way the vents are located. I

D

·
0 Posts
Stop being so lazy and just crack the visor, only time its going to fog any way is at stops and you usually pop the bike in neutral and sit up anyway, so what's the big deal w/ the fogging. I'm going to buy a Rf1000 soon why spend the extra for in reality nothing and my main concern is protection not fogging....

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I don't mean to say that you shouldn't buy the RF1000. I have one and it's an excellent helmet and fantastic value. But in my view anything that takes awareness away such as fiddling with the visor when riding is something that may be worth improving. I haven't seen the point addressed yet and fogging occurs to me even in motion.

I don't know yet if the X11 fairs better in that specific ventilation area, but I did get to play with the visor mechanism and does feel more solid (could be different visor size at play here).

D

·
0 Posts
If that's the case then you should look into this...

http://helmetharbor.com/gear/respro/foggy_opening.htm

its a Foggy Face Guard, I've never had a problem w/ fogging while riding, Does this happen when you ride in colder weather, as your head heats up causing the visor to fog? I'm not sure if this face guard works from experience but a friend of mine says it does...good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts