Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Dealerships: Where to buy in LA area?

3K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  jiro 
#1 ·
Hi,

Newbee here. I've made up my mind. I'm going to buy a Monster. But where to buy, I don't know...

I'm looking for a great dealer with a great service team in the neighborhood. Suggestions, advice and opinions are appreciated.

Hope to see you on the street soon!

Thanks,
- jiro

#2 ·
Re: Where to buy in LA?

The dealer I've heard the best things about is Aprilia-Ducati of Oceanside.

I've talked with them, have not done business with them.

I bought my bike from Malcolm Smith Motorsports in Riverside in February of this year. They bailed on being a Ducati dealer about a month later.

I haven't found "the dealer" yet. Aprilia-Ducati of Oceanside may be it, just don't know yet.

G
#3 ·

I bought my 620 Dark at Pro-Italia in Glendale. I've had a liitle bad luck with paperwork, but that's no big deal cause I love going there. It's in a nice area, the showroom is nice and all they deal in is Italian bikes. I have heard a few grumblings about PI but any dealer will have some non fans. I have yet to hear anything bad about their parts and service dept.

#5 ·

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Oceanside: I've also read nice things about them here. A litte far from where I live, but I'll keep them in mind.

Pro Italia: I live in Burbank so Pro Italia is close. I went there last weekend to buy a Vanson jacket! Well, it's good to know they have happy customers. No bad news of the service department is very good news.

Guys, how about Beverly Hills Ducati? Any experience with them? For me, I think it's going to be either PI or BHD. What would be your tie breaker if you had to choose a dealership?

#6 ·

I think PI has been around a lot longer than BHD, but I don't know for sure........

Seems like PI would have lower overhead than BHD, just due to the location, but I haven't seen BHD and it's been a looong time since I've been in PI.

How's that for a "maybe"...... ;D

#7 ·

Hmmm... This is starting to give me headaches... but research is always good.

Let's hear more about your favorite shops. Help them make a customer out of me!

CVC23103A,
What can you say about Oceanside that separates itself from the rest?

G
#8 ·

i got mine from BHD...been a month ...i did not face any problems so faar..also did my 600mile 10 days back.
-Spaceman.

i don't think there is an overhead issue because of location..i had been talking to couple of other dealers for a period of 2 months...

since i don't have a cage...i took the closest---> BHD.

#9 ·

Like CVC said, O'side is a great shop. Half-owned by the "other" Duc shop in San Diego, focus on Ducati, good wrenches, good selection of bikes, they're racers (which I think is good even if you're "just" an enthusiast), and, most importantly, I don't think anybody can say anything truly bad about them. I appreciate the concern about location, but if you're looking to develop a positive relationship, I'd consider making the trip.

Mark

#10 ·

i got mine from BHD...been a month ...i did not face any problems so faar..also did my 600mile 10 days back.
-Spaceman.
Spaceman

I've been stopping by BHD because I'm getting a monster next month too.. i was wondering if you got a deal with them, what bike you chose , and did you talk them down or get any add-ons or did you just pay what they asked up front?? I'm looking at a new 800 the have there and was quoted MSRP plus everything and a used 02' 750, 1100 miles for 7k plus everything... I haven't started to bargain cause I'm not buying for a few weeks, but what do you suggest?

Thanks!

#11 ·

CVC23103A,
I called them up (Oceanside) and found out they have customers coming from Santa Barbara for servicing! Now that says a lot. Now my 100 mile trip doesn't sound that bad. Going to check those railroad maps to see how I can get there.

- Jiro

#13 ·

DeezCanz,

OK, here's my route: Burbank Station - (Metrolink) - Union Station - (Amtrak) - Oceanside Station. It's about 2.5 hrs one way. Fares are under $50 one way.

The subway from Universal Studios is another route you may want to look into from N Hollywood.

- Jiro

#14 ·

The train thing works out really well for me.

I ride down early Saturday. Play around Palomar all day. Drop the bike off at Oceanside in the afternoon. Walk to the train depot. Nap all the way home. Twenty bucks one way to OC.

The following Saturday, I just reverse the sequence, with coffee and the Times in the AM.

#15 ·

Hey Tom! Sorry to hear about your accident - I pray for a speedy recovery so you can join us on the next ride!

Mark

G
#17 ·

Everything here is my personal opinion and does not reflect the general attitude of BHD. I guess thats what you want.I don't want to plug for BHD, but I personally feel that they are good in aftersales service. My bike is relatively knew, so it has not needed any replacement parts so far. I cannot say much about how well they do parts sourcing etc.(knock on wood). I have been there for some minor adjustments and my somewhat intermitten starter problem. I was also there for my 620 mile service. Although they forgot to take off the MAINT display from the LCDs, they gave the bike the same day i dropped it off and have not "mishandled" my baby.

I have personally talked to the head mechanic and others who do the wrenching. They are friendly, and seemed to know their stuff. (Being an engineer myself, i have the notion that i can judge people's technical expertise).

Apparently BHD used to be owned by someone else earlier, and now a couple has bought it recently. Hence its "under new management".

Now to the aspect of Negotiation. I feel any dealer will be willing to work with the price. Be it Beverly Hills or New Delhi. Its upto your negotiation intention and skills. If you buy more acessories from them, they'll be even more willing to work with the price. I got my Bike, Helmet and gloves from them. Thats all and I got to work with a price for a few hundred dollars.

They tried to sell me some Dainese apparel, which was over my budget so I didn't go for it. But as i said, the more you buy from them, the more willing they'd be to work on the price.

Hope I have been clear and helpful. Remember, once you get on your bike and twist the throttle a bit, you'll feel that every cent was spent well. ;D Monster.
-Spaceman.

#18 ·

Spaceman-

Thanks for the writeup. Don't read much about BHD here, so this is very helpful. Your insight on their mechanics is good news. The servicing quality is what I value in a dealer. The sales people and mechanics I talked to were friendly and forthcoming. The fact they didn't have an attitude was good enough for me to consider them the dealer of choice. I hope you're enjoying your Monster.

Don't forget, when you have something to bring up about your future BHD experience, positive or not, please post it here. I'm hoping this thread can continue to grow and help future Monster buyers in the LA area.

This Tuesday, I will be swinging by Oceanside, just to go check them out. Hopefully I'll have something good to report.

G
#19 ·

I wish I had more to contribute, but alas I bought my bike from one "Mega Mall" dealer in Azusa (They gave me an offer I couldn't refuse) But given their mass sales mentality, I think I shall be taking my bike elsewhere for service.

O-Cide sounds great from the previous posts and since I will have a more flexible schedule starting in fall as well as having my cage in the wings and ready, I think the distance will be no problem...

#20 ·

CVC23103A,
You're really trying hard to get me on that train, aren't you! I don't have a AAA card, unfortunately, but I've been thinking about getting one for a while. This must be THE SIGN.

I live in Burbank (20 min north of Downtown LA). This time I'll be driving down with my wife. Thanks for the offer! We'll be there around lunch time. What's up with your battery? Did it die, or are you swapping it before it leaks?

G
#22 ·

Such a pain! Living in W.LA is nice, until you need to use mass transit! I have to goto either Downtown (hellish freeway ride) or Van Nuys (hell reincarnated) to get on the Amtrak to/from O'Cide. :mad:

Sorry to complain but needed to vent. Anyway, HAPPY MONDAY everyone! :D

G
#23 ·

I wish I had more to contribute, but alas I bought my bike from one "Mega Mall" dealer in Azusa (They gave me an offer I couldn't refuse) But given their mass sales mentality, I think I shall be taking my bike elsewhere for service.
Good thinking, I've talked with the mechanics at ProItalia (almost had a job there) most of them used to work for Bert's. They didn't trust a single person there that they worked with.

#25 ·

We guys, I finally made it to Oceanside. It was a 96 mile drive door to door. I had no idea it was so close to San Diego.

It was very quiet when I got there. Not a single customer around. Standing in this huge shop made me feel quite lonely. A sales person came by to greet me. Talked a bit about prices and the M1000 and the M800. He shared some of his thoughts on these bikes. Went around the back to see what the mechanics were up to. (There were more Aprilias than Ducatis.) Seemed like they were having a busy day.

Still, it's hard to get to know these people with just one visit. They were nice enough to give me one of those hi-end printed brochures for the Monster. Definitely the biggest catch of the day.

#26 ·

How's the shopping goin Jiro? Any closer to finding a dealer/mec? BHD has been treating me pretty nice, I go in once a week just to lust after the bikes. I plan on stopping by oceanside sometime soon. Slimpickens, I'll probly check into that Irvine shop within the next week, my family lives down there.

-DC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.