Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I could use some general opinions based on dealing with my local Ducati dealer's service department. I've brought my Monster 696 to them prior for a first service and the dealer was flawless (same day quick service). My wife and I have also spent about $1500 in gear purchased with them in the past. However, almost 3 weeks ago I brought my bike into them to check a potential oil leak, fluids + brake pads as I explicitly told them I was planning a road trip for memorial day weekend. When I dropped my bike off they said they would get it all checked and fixed within a week and made a point to tell me they would keep me updated throughout the whole process. Flash forward to a week later and they called me to say the oil filter needed replacing and my belts needed to be changed ($700 job in total). I ok'd it all. They then said they'd order my parts (belts mainly). Fast forward another week later, I called to ask for an update, they tell me the parts just arrived that day and they'd have the bike done by the following end of the day. I called them the following day at 4pm and they tell me another customer's job came in and took their time so it wouldn't be ready another day but for sure by the end of the following day. I call the next day at 1 pm and they tell me yet again another customer's job took precedence and that due to their shop hours my bike wouldn't be ready until another week later (after memorial day) I reminded them of my trip and they basically told me it'd need to be canceled as the bike wouldn't be ready. The vibe I'm getting from the shop throughout this whole thing is that because my bike is an older/lesser expensive bike than they're used they're treating it and me as second rate even though the job is a pretty big payday for their crew.

My question to my fellow Ducati owners, what would you do and/or expect from the shop in this instance? Keeping in mind that the shop has kept regular hours during this whole pandemic. I feel as though their lack of consistent updates on my bike over the past 3 weeks and delays/excuses knowing that I had a trip/deadline seem unacceptable. Would you expect anything besides an apology? I kind of feel like at this point when I pick up the bike they should offer a somewhat hefty discount on their service rate, something like 10-15%, thoughts? Do you think that's unreasonable or warranted?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'll guess those other jobs were even more money, so they got priority.
Sucks, but I have been there.
Don't know what you should ask for / insist one,
but they need to make me happy if they want to keep my business.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would be more concerned about getting charged $700.00 to change belts and oil filter. WTF.
CCW belts are about $120.00., (better than oem), and the dealer would have got them for half that price. Over $500.00 for about an hours work.??

Personally, If I still worked in a bike shop, I would have stayed back to midnight to get your road trip happening on time. Well, that's how we got happy regular customers
back in my day.
Find another place, they simply don't care. If they don't care about, or value their customers, how much care do they put into fixing your bike.
I would ask for 50% off, they ruined your planned trip, after promising some sort of service......disgusting.:mad:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would be more concerned about getting charged $700.00 to change belts and oil filter. WTF.
CCW belts are about $120.00., (better than oem), and the dealer would have got them for half that price. Over $500.00 for about an hours work.??

Personally, If I still worked in a bike shop, I would have stayed back to midnight to get your road trip happening on time. Well, that's how we got happy regular customers
back in my day.
Find another place, they simply don't care. If they don't care about, or value their customers, how much care do they put into fixing your bike.
I would ask for 50% off, they ruined your planned trip, after promising some sort of service......disgusting.:mad:
I live in Los Angeles, the stealerships (as I call them out here charge an arm and a leg). For the two belts I'm being charged $143 (roughly the same as Ducati of Omaha: 73740242A -PACK- TIMING DRIVE TOOTHED BELT) and then for the filter I'm being charged $21. The rest of the charge is what they're quoting 3 hours of total work needed for the belt change + filter install. Their shop rate is $155 an hour (stealership). Then the rest is our taxes. I agree it's absurd but I'm used to the prices.

I'm of the same mindset as you. I was raised to always stay true to your word and get the job done at a promised deadline. So that's why I'm mainly asking for opinions on what to do. I don't want to overreact and burn bridges with my nearest official service center. That said, I feel like I should at minimal get a 10% service cost discount for them ruining my trip. By the way, they have not offered anything in the way of discounts yet, they've solely said sorry about the delay once.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I live in Los Angeles,
Don't burn bridges unless you need to.
But, you have more than 1 alternative.
One of the good things about living here. (y)

To add. There are trustworthy mechanics.
The problem is sorting them out from the snakes that say trust me.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have visited ONE Ducati dealer in my whole life. The first time, they seemed to not pay much attention to me after I told them I wasn’t ready to buy a new bike that day. It was a little busy. I came back another time, acted as if I was ready to buy, and they tried to shift me from a Monster to a BMW adventure bike. They weren’t real helpful, seemed distracted, as if they were wasting their time but felt obligated to give me a little attention, since I was the only one there.
Bottom line , I’ve never been to a dealer again. I do my own work. I would go there if I needed a part, but I would never buy a bike there. Not even a BMW.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update for everyone. I got my bike back today. They offered no apology nor discount on the service. In addition once I arrive they make me wait an additional 20 minutes as the perform a test/safety ride. As I'm riding off not a mile from the dealer I get pulled over by a police officer because apparently my taillight and rear blinkers aren't working. I luckily explain to the officer that I just picked my bike up for service from the dealership and he knows the dealership so lets me leave without a ticket. I ride back to the shop 5 minutes before they close and the service manager runs in and gets a mechanic who instantly without looking at the bike says he knows the problem and says that a wire harness clip is broken under the seat so the wire harness keeps coming undone. I tell the technician in front of the shop manager that the harness has never come undone before and never was broken prior and they both look at me dumbly and don't admit anything, instead, the technician says just to tape or zip tie the harness to bandaid it. And even further says he can't do it because the bike is too hot. Anyways I ride off pissed back to my home garage and upon inspecting the bike myself I find that these guys appear to have dropped my engine from my frame in order to change the timing belts and in doing so completely wrecked a bunch of wires and heat shielding I had previously installed.

I'm completely gutted over this who situation, does anyone have the Ducati North America dealership complaint email/contact at this point I'm considering filing a complaint for everything I've experienced.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Seems about in line with what I'd expect from a dealership service center. I imagine the best you can get is your money back. They dont like admitting fault, but they despise bad reviews

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Light that bridge up. That's ridiculous.
Seems about in line with what I'd expect from a dealership service center. I imagine the best you can get is your money back. They dont like admitting fault, but they despise bad reviews
So I wrote them a long 2-page review last night. I got a call this morning before they opened from the dealer owner. The guy seemed nice enough. He said they wanted to pick up the bike and look at it again, I re-explained to him they had ample opportunity over the 3 weeks to do that and what I suspect happened (the technician was lazy and dropped the engine from the frame to replace the belts). The owner claimed that they would never do that for a belt job. I explained to him that various my heat shielding was all removed, 02 sensor wire was hitting the exhaust (I specific had it placed secure prior) and the harness was unconnected and broken and he still denied everything but said he wanted to have a look at it with the shop manager, himself and a different technician, I asked him what the point of it was when I have already tapped up and zipped tied the harness and he insisted. Anyways It's going back to the dealership tomorrow and I'm assuming they're just be sitting it on for 1-2 days (if not longer). At this point, if they don't replace the wiring harness connector that they broke this is going to be a waste of time.

It's, also, sad because I specifically mentioned in my review the 3-week wait for a simple job and the lack of discount offered for missing the trip and the owner didn't acknowledge any of that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Agree, drop the engine to do belts?? WTF. I've seen removing front exhaust header to make it a bit easier. But. someone has been messing with your bike.
I wouldn't go near them again.
The only reason to drop the engine is for the full desmo service or a rebuild. Belts? Absolutely not. Valves, maybe depending on a couple of factors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow. I had a similar experience with a dealer. After a long ordeal, and runs back and forth to the shop 90 miles away, they gave me a t shirt, with their name on it. Right, I'm gonna advertise for them? It went to Goodwill. Never again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Anyways It's going back to the dealership tomorrow and I'm assuming they're just be sitting it on for 1-2 days (if not longer). At this point, if they don't replace the wiring harness connector that they broke this is going to be a waste of time.
It should not be necessary, they should just do the freaking job right the first time.
But looks like like you need to ride herd on them since they did not. Push.
Do what you can to monitor extra close and be sure they do it right. Sounds problematic.
Good luck.

Please name this shitty dealer so we can avoid them. :sick:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Potential final update on all of this. The dealer-scheduled to pick up my bike free of charge yesterday morning at 930AM. They didn't actually pick it up until around 1045 while I was in a 1on1 video conference with one of my direct reports. So I had the odd juggle of giving the pick guy my bike while on a live video, it was a bit of a hassle. Anyways, I got a call last night end of day that the owner inspected the bike with a new technician and they free of charge, replaced the wiring harness connector, and replaced all of the heat shieldings that I originally had on the bike which was mysteriously removed after the belt service. In addition, I was told that because they felt bad about me getting pulled over by the cop prior that they have provided me on record that my next oil change was free (typically like $200 cost). Got the bike back this morning on time and everything looks mint like it should have. I, also, edited my review of the dealership saying that that originally did me wrong with a recent service but the owner made it right but it should have never gotten to the point that the owner had to step in.

I should, also, mention they never once admitted to any fault or removing my heat shielding, dropping the engine out of the frame nor breaking the connector even though I'm 100% sure they did. It was a bit shady they kept dodging the question.

So moral of the story is that I'm happy with what the owner did to right the situation. I still think the issues should have never happened and I, also, think they should have knocked 10% of the original belt job for the delays but it is what it is, I have a free oil change now but honestly I'm not 100% sure I'd ever bring my bike it back out of fear of another screw up. My plan is for future services to try to do it myself.

At this point, I don't want to name the dealer as they have attempted to right the situation. And I don't like holding a grudge. All I'll say is that I'm local to Los Angeles/Orange County and the dealership is the only official flagship dealer on the west coast (just like NYC has one flag shop store on the east coast). There are only 5 official Ducati dealers in a 100 miles radius and this one is the only flagship store (meaning they're the first to get new models/gear). Deduce that what it may. I'd, also, emphasize that in the past I've bought gear from the dealer and had service prior and they were great so I feel like the instance is isolated to a specific technician or maybe due to the pandemic and their mental state.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you ever go back, I would walk in an re introduce yourself to the owner and let him know that you are there for service and would like him to be sure again that it is done right, with the better tech.
and let slip that the new (Insert any model here) sure looks good. Help him remember that you may buy more from him if he keeps you as a customer.

Rex

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’d ask around and see who does a good job on Ducs and take it there. You deserve to be treated with respect and honestly. In the end I find that it’s easier to do the simple stuff myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All,

I could use some general opinions based on dealing with my local Ducati dealer's service department. I've brought my Monster 696 to them prior for a first service and the dealer was flawless (same day quick service). My wife and I have also spent about $1500 in gear purchased with them in the past. However, almost 3 weeks ago I brought my bike into them to check a potential oil leak, fluids + brake pads as I explicitly told them I was planning a road trip for memorial day weekend. When I dropped my bike off they said they would get it all checked and fixed within a week and made a point to tell me they would keep me updated throughout the whole process. Flash forward to a week later and they called me to say the oil filter needed replacing and my belts needed to be changed ($700 job in total). I ok'd it all. They then said they'd order my parts (belts mainly). Fast forward another week later, I called to ask for an update, they tell me the parts just arrived that day and they'd have the bike done by the following end of the day. I called them the following day at 4pm and they tell me another customer's job came in and took their time so it wouldn't be ready another day but for sure by the end of the following day. I call the next day at 1 pm and they tell me yet again another customer's job took precedence and that due to their shop hours my bike wouldn't be ready until another week later (after memorial day) I reminded them of my trip and they basically told me it'd need to be canceled as the bike wouldn't be ready. The vibe I'm getting from the shop throughout this whole thing is that because my bike is an older/lesser expensive bike than they're used they're treating it and me as second rate even though the job is a pretty big payday for their crew.

My question to my fellow Ducati owners, what would you do and/or expect from the shop in this instance? Keeping in mind that the shop has kept regular hours during this whole pandemic. I feel as though their lack of consistent updates on my bike over the past 3 weeks and delays/excuses knowing that I had a trip/deadline seem unacceptable. Would you expect anything besides an apology? I kind of feel like at this point when I pick up the bike they should offer a somewhat hefty discount on their service rate, something like 10-15%, thoughts? Do you think that's unreasonable or warranted?
The bottom line for me is , if I am spending my money I get what I want. If you don't want to give me what I want then I will find someone who will. Everyone understands money talks. They aint treating you right don't give them any money, Make a public complaint and review on google. Take your bike back if they don't respond in a timely fashion. It shouldn't matter if you are spending $199 or $1000 dollars. Everyone deserves good service.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts