Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What say you guys?...sliders on a 620 Monster(my first bike) good idea/bad idea...they basically said they wouldn't do much good...will it possibly save denting the tank? Just looking for some more input thanks.

gnew

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Re: Dealer/Duc mechanic don't recommend sliders...

Frame sliders are a 50/50 proposition. If the bike slides along on pavement, you will save a lot by having them. On the other hand, if the bike hits the dirt while it's still sliding, they will usually cause the bike to flip. I've been on both sides of this stick.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts

I'm also a newbie & considering sliders..... I've got longer legs & am worried I maybe knockin my knee's against 'em.

My thoughts are that if I go down, w/ sliders, I'll have a better chance of a running bike i.e. one w/out the crank case rubbed thru & bleeding oil.....

still pondering w/ appreciate comments ::)

·
Registered
374 Posts

I vote for sliders all the way. Thou unless you replace those cheap a*s stock bars, sliders will most likely not save a dented tank.

Frame sliders, Bar sliders, and even Swingarm sliders are just another form of insurance. I now have Frame and Bar sliders on my 620. Cycle cat all the way.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts

I also advocate the use of Frame Sliders. I have the Cyclecats on my 02 620. Heres a pic of them. Yours of course wont have the bodywork.

·
Registered
374 Posts

I also advocate the use of Frame Sliders. I have the Cyclecats on my 02 620. Heres a pic of them. Yours of course wont have the bodywork.

Dude, that is a 620 monster :eek:. Why on earth would you cloth her like that? :'(

·
Registered
6,266 Posts

It gets raced only and I picked up an extra couple of MPH top end with it on. Also I needed something to contain oil in case of an unfortunate oil relieving event. Also I needed somewhere to put the guys whoo have been giving me money to race. You know, the Sponsors :)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

Hey ducman, what's going on with the rear area of the seat?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts

??? The Red Tape? Its a transponder that our club uses for laptimes and scoring. I just have it duct tapped on the seat.

X

·
0 Posts

I've got longer legs & am worried I maybe knockin my knee's against 'em.
Frame sliders don't get in the way. 6'4" and never had a problem knocking my knees.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

Got it...

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts

Also, don't forget that a lot of dealers are by default against anything that isn't in the Ducati Performance catalog.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

I'm putting them on my bike because it seems in MOST of the posts here of people crashing it helped them.

·
Registered
849 Posts

On the other hand, if the bike hits the dirt while it's still sliding, they will usually cause the bike to flip.
By this logic you couldn't have rubber tires either. Friend totalled his bike on the track when his tires caught and flipped the bike after a long slide subsequent to a lowside.

-R.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I like frame sliders & believe that they generally do more good than harm, but those who don't like them have a legitimate concern. I've watched bikes slide slowly along the road, & hit the shoulder at what seems like an insignificant amout of speed, catch the frame slider, & do a nice flip, tearing off windscreen, dashes, scratching tank tops, etc.

·
Registered
455 Posts

...I've got longer legs & am worried I maybe knockin my knee's against 'em...
No problems for me either. I'm 6'4" as well. I do ocassionaly tap my shins on them when parking the bike, but no big deal. I vote yes for sliders. They make nice footrests on straightaways too.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts

I've watched bikes slide slowly along the road, & hit the shoulder at what seems like an insignificant amout of speed, catch the frame slider, & do a nice flip, tearing off windscreen, dashes, scratching tank tops, etc.
A flipped bike will often be totaled.

Mine are still in the box, though they could save me $1000 in parts if I put them on.

:-/

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts

Most tank dents on Monsters come from the bars bending and hitting the tank. I adjusted the steering lock screws in and rolled the bars forward just a tad. There is now more space between the controls on the bars and the tank. It probably won't help any crash, but it does help those tipovers in the driveway.

D

·
0 Posts

Does anyone have info on swingarm sliders?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts