Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright got my baby's ding taken out and painted. put the tank back on and nothing. I turn the key to the on position and nothing electrical happens (dash lights, turn signals, brake light), but the fuel pump (I think that's what it is) sucks the gas, and I can start it sometimes. Other times it won't even start. When it does start no rpms register.

OK here is where it gets weird. While the bike is on and no lights or anything are, I can turn the high beam switch to the on position and if I hold down the high beam flasher button everything works fine.

Please help. What could have caused this? I disconnected the tank and reconnected it, that is it.

R

·
0 Posts
It might be helpful to know what model and year bike?

With the high beam thing it almost sounds like a short, or cross wiring somewhere....maybe check the manuals wiring diagram to see what is what. I am not sure what the wires to the tank connect to other then the fuel pump and low fuel light....maybe check the wire clip connector from the tank, for anything pulled out of the clip?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2003 620. I checked the plug, it looked to be fine. Just plugged it straight back in. This sucks!

R

·
0 Posts
....Since you have an immoblizer bike, could that have something to do with it possibly? Sorry just guessing, but the weird highbeam symptom, makes me wonder about the immobilizer system, since nothing else has changed other then the tank disconnect.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been a mechanic for 15yrs (not on Ducati though) and usually when something wierd like this happens it's a ground problem. I would start by checked every ground connection on the bike. Hopefully this helps. Without a wiring diagram it's hard to pinpoint the problem. The immoblizer can also cause starting problems. But always start with the basics. Everything has to have power and ground.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've only worked on Mercedes Benz immobilizers and there is no way to "reset" them. The way a immobilizer works is there is a transponder (code chip) in the key. The immobilizer reads the code and tells the engine ECM it is OK to start. This should not have anything to do with the light operation though. But I'm not for sure on a Ducati. Sometimes there is no way to troubleshoot without the proper diagnostic equipment. That means a trip to the dealer.

M

·
0 Posts
i'm not sure what year duc you have but i know that usually when resetting the immobilizer you have to take all three of the keys and there is a process of taking the red key first turning the bike to the on position for a certain amount of time then followed by the black keys. keep the keys seperate and away from your bike when doing this. it is listed in one of the manuals somewhere.

my bike is different, the process goes red black black red. so i'm not sure what bike you have so i'm not sure. i've been having problems with my immobilizer since i got her. it isn't too big of a deal right now but its a little aggravating. my service tech is kinda far to ride to so i have been trouble shooting over the phone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Check your fuses.
When we re asemble my wife's bike(tank, fenders, it got a new color) ;D I change the blinkers, when I did that somehow I manage to get a ground and it burn a fuse, they bike started but the tach/blinkers were dead :-/, well I re-wire the blinkers, change the burn fuses and tatatannn!! no more problems. ;D

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright thanks guys, I'm at school without my bike, so I won't be able to check out these options until friday. I'll let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen on mine. The screw on the ground of the battery had come loose. Tighten the battery wires down and see if that makes a difference.

M

·
0 Posts
I know it seems unlikely since all you did was R&R the gas tank, but since the battery is in that location it is possible that one of the battery terminals has gotten loose and/or one of the related wires in that area has come loose or slightly unplugged, which causes your intermittant problem. I would pull the tank and go over every wire possible, then reinstall the tank and see if the problem goes away. You'll likely find something loose or grounded once you get everything exposed again. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha, alright finally got home to check out your suggestions, it was a fuse, 2 actually. Shows how much I know about the electrical system. Thanks guys. I'm going to post some pics pretty soon when I get the tank logo on and a few other things. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts