·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daytona's top of the line security boot:
http://www.helimot.com/catalog/boots/boots_security_data.shtml

And a lesser one:
http://www.helimot.com/catalog/boots/boots_evosport_data.shtml

Prices are exorbitant, but there seems to be a consensus that the resistance to twisting and overall protection for the foot and ankle are worth it.

However, on another board I read a discussion where some voiced concerns that in this case the twisting forces are transfered to the knee as a matter of simple physics, potentially a much more sensitive area to injuries.

Opinions?

·
Registered
455 Posts
If I had the money, I'd buy 'em (and I will buy them someday). True, there likely are instances where the rigidness around the ankle will transfer the energy to the knees, but here's how I see it:

If your ankle is going to "twist", I don't think any boot can do much of anything to prevent that (unless it was riveted to your tibia and fibula!) - think about it. Sure, there's a hard shell around there, but what's really to stop your calf turning one way inside that shell, while your foot (and the entire boot) twist in the opposite direction?

Where I see the Security or Evosport being superior is in the prevention of breaks and sprains caused by inversion-type traumas (think about the typical basketball sprain, where the player lands on another's foot and rolls inward or outward). From my own experience, the forces required to cause injury to the ankle in this manner are less than those required to injure the knee, otherwise I would have suffered a rash of knee injuries rather than ankle injuries.

In fact, after multiple ankle sprains (volleyball and bmx), I started using Active Ankle braces, which are hard, pivoted braces that function much like the Daytona design. Trust me, I continued to fall and land awkwardly just as before and suffered zero injuries to my ankles and my knees, thanks to the braces. YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'm not sure how you could hurt your ankle in a hard boot if it fits properly. I've had ankle problems for years and the one sport I have no problem with my ankles doing is skiing. As long as I have properly fitting and buckled boots my ankles basically can't twist side to side, which is very nice IMO. However, the ankle protection does put pressure on your knees as mentioned. I have twiste both my knees and cracked my shin bone by not being able to twist my entire leg properly. Then again I have skiied something like 240+ days in the last 15 years, so my exposure is not low. So I guess it depends on what you're trying to protect more, your knees or ankles...

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Between ankles and knees, I'd prefer having an ankle injury. The question is what increased likelihood of a knee injury do these boots cause? Are knees in themselves more resistant to twisting than ankles?

·
Registered
849 Posts
How likely is it that your knee is going to twist to the point of injury in a motorcycle accident unless your foot gets pinned under the bike? Sorry, just can't see that happen (assuming your knees are relatively healthy, that is).

I really like the Daytonas. Wish I could afford them.

-R.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts