Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, a lady friend of mine just purchased a 600 Monster. Well, she's just out of MSF, and she's having a heck of a time on this thing. It seems that the Choke won't settle down to "off" no matter how long she warms the thing up. After the bike is ridden for a few minuts, the idle will be low, like 1000 rpm, but won't stall unless the clutch is let out. The engine has to be revved a good deal, like 3-4k to let the clutch out, which makes the whoole thing snatchy as hell, especially for her, and even then, there's no gaurantee that it won't stall. I read the OM and there is nothing in there about adjusting the throtle or idle speeds. Now, this thing has sat for most of two years, but did get ridden once and a while. I dumped a can of carb cleaner in it, and sloshed the 1/2 tank of last year's gas together with 1/2 tank of new and "burned the gunk" out of it up and down the highway a couple of times (with smooth riding imeadiately afterward).

OK guys, any thoughts as to what's wrong with this thing? Do I just need to ride a tank or two of gas through it before I give it over to the girl?

thanks for your help

ken

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I may be opening a can of worms here but Ducati

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Sounds like the idle is set too low. I just rode my roommates '03 620 and I think it has the same problem. The idle is barely at 1000 when warmed up, and the fast-idle lever has to be fully engaged to even bring it up to 1600. On my '03 800 the regular idle is just a hair above 1200 and the fast idle is almost 3000 when all the way on. Should be a quick adjustment to change the idle.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd start with new plugs.....the cleaner did nott do good things for them. Then, I'd sync and adjust the carbs. Burn low octane/RON fuel and ride.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
If it is a 600, not a 620 it has carbs.I would clean the jets. 2 years of sitting will cause a lot of crap to settle in the float bowls. The idle jet(S) probably have gotten plugged or partially blocked. Cleaner only loosens up the crap allowing it to get sucked up in the jets.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crap. I did NOT want to have to dig into this thing! Thsnks for the advice though....

ken

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My S4 had the same problem it would stall on me all the time. Once warmed up it would idle at 1k or lower. I adjusted the idle and no more problems. If you wnat to adjust the idle there is a small screw on the right side of the bike. it sits vertically by the top of the motor. I don't know the correct name but it's by a throttle some thing or other. Just give a few small turns till you get the rpms where you want them. Go for about 1200. Before you try something more complicated go for the easy fix first. Just my 2cents

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Check out the post: "Choke does not work" for my reply with installation instructions. Poster also has a 600. Change the plugs for $7! 3 minutes & you'll get more nookie! I'd switch to NGK's.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Sorry its abit of a commute for me, but Id recommend BCM if you run out of options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts