Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay. I'm tired of not knowing/ being pretty sure that I don't know.

I have always thought that the "dark" models were a discounted version of the original. It has some components that are different/ of lesser quality, it's only offered in one color scheme, and DNA knocks a few hundred bucks off.

At the same time, the "dark" color scheme (black tank/black fenders/black tank/black fair) is also available on the original model, with the original components, at the original price.

I have also been under the impression that the "dark" model was only available on the bottom bike of each line. The 620 monster, and the 749 sbk.

Basically, I've been under the impression that the "dark" model was just out there to offer a lower cost option to someone trying to pick up a duc.

I'm confused, because I keep hearing people talk about their m800 dark, or their m750 dark, and this flies in the face of everything I believe. ;D ;D. Are people using "dark" to describe the color scheme, or are these really bikes that are specified by DNA as "dark."

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Dark bikes have a flat paint scheme, either flat black or flat silver. They also have lesser (e.g. single disk, no fairing, non-adjustable suspension) components to some degree. What models are offered as Dark have changed through the model years. Currently only 620 offers Dark in the Monster line.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
In the US to date, Ducati has offered a matte black finish "Dark" on the following bikes and typically pre 2003 6*0/750 used a single front disc and have used lower quality components like Marzochi forks, narrower rear rim.

M600D
M620D - also offered in matte silver
M750D
M800D - also matte silver
M900D - same as base model M900ie and Chromo
620Sport - matte silver only
750Sport
749D
900Sport

Only the 749D is offered with less HP than the 749S version, M series have always had same motors regardless of color.

G

·
In the US to date, Ducati has offered a matte black finish "Dark" on the following bikes and typically they have used lower quality components like Marzochi forks, narrower rear rim, and in some cases pre 2003 a single front disc.
I have the dual discs and the same width rear on my 2001 M900 Dark. I think the differences were varied throughout the line. I dont have an adjustable suspension and I do have "lesser" forks, bot that I give a crap since I dont need it. I never track the bike or race it. It just a highway ride on a sunny day here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts