Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using an external fuel pump with a carbed tank and i am just wondering...is there something that tells the fuel pump to stop pumping once the fuel system comes up to pressure? because mine just keeps pumping and blows fuses while when i listen to other 'real' injected bikes the pump stops after a moment of pumping. so what gives?
thanks
david

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
On the '02 and later bikes, the ECU runs the fuel pump for a second to build pressure, but then I'm pretty sure it runs continuously once the bike has started.

What kind of pump are you running?

Are you using late model injection from a Ducati, or ?

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: d**n fuel pump

Well the problem arose because im grafting a 2000 m900 motor, harness and WM 1.5 ecu to a 98 m750 frame and gauge cluster. Im running an MSD fuel pump which is the same as the one mostro523 successfully ran on his conversion so I know it should eventually work. The thing is, when i originally tried to start the engine the pump ran and ran because the fuel system wasnt priming initially...then once it audibly primed it blew a fuse. unfortunately that fuse happens to be the brake light and turn signal fuse even though i'm running off the harness that goes to the tank.

Soooo...3 things
now the brake/signal circuit seems to be shorted (turn signals wont work).
the starter wont crank, it just blips.
the same fuse keeps blowing.

Sorry for all the typing i just dont really know where to begin here because i'm kind of grasping around for problems and solutions. some things that i currently suspect are that A: even though i've tested the 4 wire harness with a multimeter, i connected the fuel pump to the wrong 2 wires since it doesn't stop automatically. or B: something somewhere else is connected wrong or not connected :-[ perhaps i need a new ecu?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
You can download the owner's manual for a '00 Monster from ducati.com, it has a wiring diagram for the 900 on the last page, that should help.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks speeddog i really appreciate your help! although do you or anyone else know which 2 color wires are connected to the fuel pump? That's more info than the wiring diagram provides.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
This is info I've got from the Owner's Manual I downloaded quite a while ago, perhaps the one on ducati.com now isn't the same...

Page 67: Legend of the 900 wiring diagram, identifying all the components and fuses circuits
Page 68: Wire color coding
Page 95: Wiring Diagram for the 900

From that, the 4-wire connector should have the following:

Blue wire : generic +12V, served by the #4 fuse, which is a 7.5A unit. Intended to supply +12V to the fuel level switch in the tank.

White w/Brown stripe: Supplies +12V out to the fuel warning light, when the fuel level switch in the tank closes.

Brown w/White stripe: +12V, controlled by the fuel pump relay, served by an individual 20A fuse. Intended for the fuel pump.

Black: Ground for the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

LOL ok well looks like i've got some patience issues because you've got this manual figured out more than i have. many thanks and don't worry the manuals are the same.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I'm glad they're the same. :)

Good luck, post up on how it goes. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks, I'll be able to delve into it when i get home on wednesday. Holy crap i want my monster back! >:D

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Just wanted to update: got the whole shebang workin ;D
except for the blinkers...i guess ill check the flasher when i get a chance

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

yep thanks speeddog sometimes i just need a slap in the head before i can get back to life as usual...and to think, im an electrical engineer 8) ah well

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
...and a mechanical engineer pointed you toward the wiring diagram. [laugh]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts