Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got off work today realizing that I had left my parking lights on all day. Mistake number one. Luckily my roommate had just stopped by work and he has jumper cables. So after a quick failed attempt at a push start I take off the seat and lift the tank. Hook up cables and walk around to the right side of the bike as it was hard to reach across the tank. Mistake number two. Apparently I had also forgotten to put it in neutral as well. Mistake number three. Hit the start button and watch as it lurches forward and then down to the ground. Well, ****.

Damage:
Broken left 3rd eye mirror - $15 (thank god I opted for the cheap route on this item)
Broken clutch lever - ~$100?
Bent shifter - hopefully $0 if it bends back okay
Bent tank mount (seemed to bend back in place alright... I'll inspect for more damage later)

Could be worse I guess. At least this gives me an excuse to buy new blingy levers. So I'd like to get the CRG's unless you guys have other suggestions. And if I'm gonna replace the levers, should I go ahead and get levers w/ new master cylinders? Are there advantages to cylindrical masters other than aesthetic?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Well it could have been worse. And you definitely aren't the first to do so... (thanks for posting, I'll add 'put in neutral' to my jump-start checklist).

I bent my clutch lever a few weeks back and it ran me about $40 for an OEM replacement from the dealer.

No biggie, just $$

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
KHM said:
So I got off work today realizing that I had left my parking lights on all day. Mistake number one. Luckily my roommate had just stopped by work and he has jumper cables. So after a quick failed attempt at a push start I take off the seat and lift the tank. Hook up cables and walk around to the right side of the bike as it was hard to reach across the tank. Mistake number two. Apparently I had also forgotten to put it in neutral as well. Mistake number three. Hit the start button and watch as it lurches forward and then down to the ground. Well, nuts.

Damage:
Broken left 3rd eye mirror - $15 (thank god I opted for the cheap route on this item)
Broken clutch lever - ~$100?
Bent shifter - hopefully $0 if it bends back okay
Bent tank mount (seemed to bend back in place alright... I'll inspect for more damage later)

Yep, I sure have done that one before!
:p

Could be worse I guess. At least this gives me an excuse to buy new blingy levers. So I'd like to get the CRG's unless you guys have other suggestions. And if I'm gonna replace the levers, should I go ahead and get levers w/ new master cylinders? Are there advantages to cylindrical masters other than aesthetic?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Yeah, we've all had one or more of those 'brain fart' moments.

The CRG levers are nice, but it's really up to you whether they're worth the $$. IIRC, CA Cycleworks sells non-OEM replacement levers for very cheap, 20 bucks or something like that.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Michael Moore said:

The CRG levers are nice, but it's really up to you whether they're worth the $$. IIRC, CA Cycleworks sells non-OEM replacement levers for very cheap, 20 bucks or something like that.
Michael Moore said:

Yeah, I thought I had remember seeing those before on Chris' site, but it looks like he has discontinued all of the cheap-o levers except those for 749/999s

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad, all things considered. I'm still fond of Napoleon bar-ends for the awesome visibility.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts