Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a bike with a damaged tank and a small leak as a result. Has anyone ever used JB Weld or some other epoxy to repair a tank from the outside? I have heard this could work well temporarily. I am on a tight budget, so if I can get riding without replacing the tank I think I can swing it.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
JB Weld can work fine if you're on the road and need to get home - don't consider it a permenant repair. I assume your leak is at the tank hing. The best (and cheap) repair is to flip the tank over, place on a wet towel to protect the paint from heat, clean the hing plate REALLY well, and braze the entire lip. Anyone who can braze can do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JB Weld can work fine if you're on the road and need to get home - don't consider it a permenant repair. I assume your leak is at the tank hing. The best (and cheap) repair is to flip the tank over, place on a wet towel to protect the paint from heat, clean the hing plate REALLY well, and braze the entire lip. Anyone who can braze can do it.
No, the leak is from a crease in the dent. Not the hing. It is a very small leak, and this would be a repair for about 6 months until I can afford to replace/repair the tank.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Have it welded or brazed - still pretty cheap. If it's small enough, you might be able to stop it with a POR-15 treatment on the inside.
As for a new tank, they're about $1600 and a good tank repair service is around $250.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts