Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so we have a D695 for the wife (I ride a Triumph) - we've had it for 3 months and ~1200 miles. We'd have more miles on it but the [email protected] thing has been in the shop a LOT. When the bike runs we have nothing but positive experiences. This is her 3rd motorcycle, she has been riding since 2001. We're reaching a point of serious frustration.

The bike has literally spent 4 weeks of the last 3 months in the shop!

I talked to the dealer today and he told me the Throttle Position Sensor was off and they couldn't reset it, that the rear coil may have intermittent problems and the rear cylinder may not be firing all the time. We also had a problem with the fuel sensor saying the bike needed fuel when it had half a tank left.

My question is this - should I try to lemon the thing and get a new one? Other advice / experiences?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
What exactly were the problems you brought it in for each time? Some of us have experienced issues with our 695's while others havent. Its weird that way. Explain whats going on and we can try to determine the best approach to take with the dealer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Your local lemon laws should be pretty clearly defined. Try searching your states website.

Good luck with the bike. That sounds like a frustrating experience! I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with such a cool bike.

-Danimal

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Sounds frustrating, but it sounds like your dealer is communicating with you about what is going on (a very good thing). I would try exploring what resources you have through your dealer. If it is a good enough dealer they may handle it for you, and not have to get the law involved. You will always have the lemon law to fall back on.

I could see getting pretty frustrated if the dealer was paying no attention to it, but is that the case? Give it a little time.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The TPS is not adjustable and needs to be replaced. Bad coil? I wouldn't worry about it 'till after the TPS is replaced. The fuel sensor light will be done under warranty and they should not be trusted anyway. Fill up by odometer reading. It is frustrating to have problems with a new bike, but at this point your bike hardly sounds like a lemon.

·
Registered
555 Posts
why cant your dealer reset the TPS?
if they are a ducati dealer they should have a DDS (stands for ducati dumb ****) this hand held computer allows them to reset the TPS. There may be somethhing else wrong with the TPS.

as for the other problems the DDS codes out all kinds of problems if the battery gets low. any good shop should be right on top of this.

What was the bike doing that you took it in to the shop? why was it in the shop that long? setting up efi (including TPS) only takes a few hours.

fuel sensors go...I never have trusted them (old school ::) ) the newer ones have been much better.

talk to your dealer let them know you are worried that the bike may not be reliable. they should step up and either help you fix the couple of problems you have or be interested in getting you into a new bike.
good luck

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
From my states (VA) lemon laws it's a lemon if they cannot get it fixed under the following stipulations

Basics issues they get 3 tires. Serious saftey items, the get one shot to fix it. If the vehicle has been out of service for repair 30+ days in 18 months from date up puchase.

Clipped from http://www.autosafety.org/lemonlaws.php

" It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to any warranty and that the motor vehicle is significantly impaired if during the period of eighteen months following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to the consumer either:
1. The same nonconformity has been subject to repair three or more times by the manufacturer, its agents or its authorized dealers and the same nonconformity continues to exist;
2. The nonconformity is a serious safety defect and has been subject to repair one or more times by the manufacturer, its agent or its authorized dealer and the same nonconformity
continues to exist; or
3. The motor vehicle is out of service due to repair for a cumulative total of thirty calendar days, unless such repairs could not be performed because of conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers, including war, invasion, strike, fire, flood or other natural disasters."

If you lived here - you're 2 shop days away from an offical lemon. It's good that your dealer is working with you on this - and I'm not saying you should take action w/o exporing your option and talking to the dealer. But, this bike might just be a real, for true lemon.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
There is an interesting sidebar to the Lemon Law. If you do end up turning your bike (car) in to the dealer and getting a replacement vehicle what happens to the vehicle you return? I think in most states the dealer has to disclose the fact that the vehicle was a Lemon Law Return when they try to resell it. Ouch!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyone's replies. Here's the latest - the ECU is being replaced and their doing some other work on the TPS, etc. We'll know more by the end of next week, will keep you posted.

This is too good of a model motorcycle to be kept in the shop!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
yuu said:
From my states (VA) lemon laws it's a lemon if they cannot get it fixed under the following stipulations
...including war, invasion, strike, fire, flood or other natural disasters."
Does it actually say that? That's some funny ****!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
NAKID said:
Does it actually say that? That's some funny nuts!
Yep - really says that. I pulled that stuff right out of the code. There's some funny crap in the VA law books if you look around. I could carry a sword for example...

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
yuu said:
Yep - really says that. I pulled that stuff right out of the code. There's some funny crap in the VA law books if you look around. I could carry a sword for example...
Ya know, I've been thinking about packing a sword, but can't decide on the model. Does it say anything aout dirks. Hardly anyone carries dirks anymore.... ;D

·
Registered
94 Posts
mine's in the shop too (a week now). similar situation i think.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=60225.msg739538#msg739538
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=58703.msg740188#msg740188

in any case, unfortunately in California, the lemon law does not apply to motorcycles:

http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.php

"The term "new motor vehicle," however, does not include motorcycles or exclusively off-road vehicles."

and looks like tis the same in Florida:

http://www.800helpfla.com/lemonlaw.html

"The Lemon Law program DOES NOT COVER USED CARS, vehicles that run only on tracks, off-road vehicles, trucks over 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, motorcycles, mopeds, or the living facilities of recreational vehicles. In order to find out if you could qualify for protection under the Lemon Law, please review the follow information."

heavy sigh...qwak^2

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
qwakqwk said:
http://www.800helpfla.com/lemonlaw.html

"The Lemon Law program DOES NOT COVER USED CARS, vehicles that run only on tracks, off-road vehicles, trucks over 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, motorcycles, mopeds, or the living facilities of recreational vehicles. In order to find out if you could qualify for protection under the Lemon Law, please review the follow information."
So if the horse dies, you're screwed. [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, we got the bike back - they replaced the ECU and ONLY the ECU. After everything was said and done it appears that the problem is fixed. I am not really happy about all the extra drama I experienced with my dealer on this though (Is it the coil, is it the TPS, is it the XYZ??)

Bike runs great now - here's a pic from our last ride. My wife (the one who actually OWNS the bike) is in the red shirt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts