Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to adjust the chain tension the other day and it looks like I need new chain, as is tight in one spot and loose in other. I have ’06 S2R1000 with about ~10k miles. I looked at some options and I come down to two choices.
1. D.I.D. premium 525VM2 X-Ring ~ $200, D.I.D. websites says up to 750cc, I heard this should be good for my bike as rating is conservative.
2. EK MVXZ Series X-Ring Chain 525 Gold - $150, more affordable and apparently perfect for street use up to 1000cc.
Any suggestions? I just do street riding no track. Also any suggestion on the chain breaker/riveting tool? I found one from Motion Pro for ~$70. I can’t believe it, I called 2 dealers and they told me about 1h to do chain swap! Shouldn’t this be 15 min. job? I think is worth it to invest in riveting tool rather than pay $90 every time you do chain swap. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
They're both good chains, I'd buy whichever is on sale. I like to rivit chains but the master links they come with are pretty good as well. There will be one in the box.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I gues I'll go with EK...

·
Registered
215 Posts
i just bought a DID chain. i bought my bike used and that's what came on it. not to be a noob and replace parts with the same thing, but it's a chain. i picked up the DiD VM520 110L X-ring chain w/rivet and it was $98 at ca-cyclworks.com.

too bad you don't have a DSS monster, cause you could cut your chain at home and take it to a shop and have them rivet it together with the chain off the bike for a couple bucks.

if you need a 525, they have the DiD VM2 525 108L X-ring gold chain w/rivet for $114.

also if your doing a new chain new F&R sprockets are recommended. since the sprockets would be worn to the old stretched chain, putting a new chain on a worn possibly cause premature wearing.

i hope this helps ya out. ca-cycleworks.com chris k. is an amazing and helpful guy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up, I went with D.i.D with RK chain tool from ca-cycleworks… I changed my front sprocket about 3k miles ago and interestingly my rear sprocket does not show any wear so lucky me…

1 - 5 of 5 Posts