Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost finished getting the DBR13s on. Just getting the bar end slider machined down so I can fit the CRG mirror on. For my '03 M1000S the bars were a little bit too short on the throttle side to fit the mirror on the bar itself. Probably needed to be 5-10mm longer.

They fit fine on the clutch side.

I mounted the clip ons above the tripple clamp, which brings them up to about the same height as the standard OEM bars. This is a little trickier than mounting them under the tripple, because you have to loosen the lower fork brace and slide the forks through about 20 - 25mm. But even for a knuclehead like me it wasn't too much of a problem. I just put a car jack under the engine to take the weight off the front end. The rear was up on a race stand.

They are nicely machined parts but did have a few small scratches on arrival though. And the gold anodised finish is very pale, hardly tell it is coloured actually and doesn't look as good as the picture on their web site.

You can see how the Brembo Goldlines stand out with their rich colour next to the Cyclecats.

The clipons themselves weighed in at 975gms (about 2lb) which is heavier than the 800gms that the EOM bar weighed. That surprised me. But the CRG mirrors are 400gms lighter than the OEM mirrors, so all up the total change is a weight reduction.

Would I do it again? Probably. The cyclecats are definately the best system available today, in terms of adjustability. But they are:
  • Expensive,
    the bars are a little too short,
    the anodising was very pale,
    they arrived with some scratches.
So I'd have to say I'm not completely happy with them. I'll probably take them off and have them re-anodised at a later stage. And sand the scratches out.

And of course now the top tripple looks a bit ugly. Not sure what is the best way to fix that. I don't really want to grind it down as I like to be able to reverse all my mods back to original. Maybe some kind of plate bolted on the top would cover them, like the older monsters have. My '03 model just has "C" shaped brackets.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Why did you switch to clip ons if you wanted the same position as stock bars?
Nice looking stuff though, I wish I could find a deal on some myself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted the adjustability mainly. + I don't like the look of the standard bars. Almost every HOT Monster I have seen has Clip-ons.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I am getting Cycle Cat's as well & I am getting their triple as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ducatz,

I did mention it but the dealer sent me the standard set anyway. Then when I told them they said the modified bar end sliders can slip out and you will lose your mirror. Better to have the CRG mounted on the bar itself.

I have 2-3mm of bar available so I am having the sliders machined to allow me to mount part on the bar and part on the slider. Fingers X'd.

L

·
0 Posts
M, That really looks sweet, I can't wait to see when everything is done and back together. Keep us posted!! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could be right. I haven't ridden it yet so I don't know how it will feel. Hopefully more sporty; not cruisy.

The front end has been dropped 22mm so there is more weight on the front and even though the bars at approximately the same height as OEM they are more angled down and swept back.

My bike has been off the road with a leaking fuel tank but I am getting it back on the black stuff this week.

A

·
0 Posts
Alex Ortner forwarded this thread to me... I apologize that I did not reply sooner, but I do not monitor this list, and only learn of threads about Cycle Cat products when someone forwards them...

Having said that, we have like 0 tolerance for product, which fails our quality standards, being shipped out and received by customers. So as you may guess, you've kind of pushed a hot button here. In particular, I am dismayed with your report of our product being received scratched. Poor finish quality on a new part is beyond my comprehension, as we are very stringent on inspection, we pack with love and affection, and we simply do not release product with finish defects.

Thus, I would very much like the opportunity to see the parts (not to evaluate your claim, but to learn what went wrong!)and either repair or, most likely, replace them.

You should not have to do repair work, refinishing, or any other kind of work on Cycle Cat products. I would personally appreciate the opportunity to correct this for you.

The finish color is a matter of preference, but if they're too light, we'd be happy to schedule them into another anodizing run, or exchange them, for a darker tone. The light gold is our standard color, and while we normally charge a bit for custom colors (they cost us more) we can do darker gold, and would be happy to do so for you at no charge, in apology for your inconvenience.

As for the CRG mirrors, of course we have a bar slider made for this purpose which is available with the kit on request. I am assuming your dealer did not request it. Nonetheless, we can get you a set if that's your preference.

The difficult thing about all this is that you're in Australia, right? Lots of shipping expense back and forth... but please write me directly, and when you do, please advise the name of your dealer, so I can follow through with them... As always, we'll do whatever it takes to make things right for you.

Best-

-Alfred

Cycle Cat division Ideanamics, LLC
Alfred Kobacker, President
614-577-8080 ext 101
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Way to go Alfred, always willing to go the extra mile. Quite lterally this time [smiley=waytogo.gif]

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just cut a little off the plastic throttle tube. That is what I did. Mirrors will fit fine after.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If these ones get sent back will they be available at a discount ;D
Im serious, I need some of these bars!

·
Registered
6,266 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Alex Ortner forwarded this thread to me... I apologize that I did not reply sooner, but I do not monitor this list, and only learn of threads about Cycle Cat products when someone forwards them...

Having said that, we have like 0 tolerance for product, which fails our quality standards, being shipped out and received by customers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alfred,

Firstly, let me say I didn't mean to bag your product on the open forum. I'm just sharing my experience.

Secondly, thanks for the offer of assistance but, as you suggest the tyranny of distance really makes it impracticle to ship parts back and forth. It's simply cheaper and easier for me to get them anodised locally. I also take your point about the colour being subjective. But for mine I think the pale gold just doesn't look good right next to the rich gold of the Brembo Goldlines.

Anyway, here is a shot of the scratches. They are hard to photograph because the anodising in the gouges washes out the contrast. I assume this means the scratch was pre-anodising and not caused in transit somehow?

I would make one suggestion. You should fit the DBR13s to an M1000 sometime and see if you think the bars are right. My brake master cylinder is rubbing right up against the bar riser. Just doesn't seem to be a good fit. The left hand side seems fine though. Maybe it is a problem with Goldlines on the M1000 but not the S4, I dunno?

Having said that if you do find the bar tubes are not quite right for an M1000, and decide to make a different set, I certainly wouldn't say no to a replacement.

Lastly, I asked the guys at Motowheels for the cut-down bar sliders to suit the CRGs. But they sent me the standard version anyway. Then they told me later that the standard version is the only set that comes "gratis" with the bars. And if I want the other type I have to pay extra. Seems to be a different story to what you have just told me.

A

·
0 Posts
Dean et al-

Well, I don't mind the discussion being in public, its just sometimes a little awkward, not to mention boring for folks when things get down to detailed arrangments and such... but no worries...

I've had a look at the image, and for sure, the scratches are beyond my understanding... Truly, its hard to know how that would have gotten out of our shop... but I guess anything's possible... like, I wonder... if you get a chance, could you have a look underneath the riser, and see if there is an "X" stamped on it... which would indicate a cosmetic second... we normally do not sell these through dealers, but I suppose its possible one got out somehow...

The important point I want to make, however, is, relative to fitment, and I hate to say it, but the DBR13 was not designed for, and is not intended to be mounted on an M1000. That it fits with as few issues as you mention is pretty lucky! As well, we don't make any risers for above triple clamp mounting except those which use our RA series adapters or which go on bikes with at least 1" of fork tube extending above the triple (e.g. Ducati Supersports).

I am really sorry you had difficulty with the installation, and that the fit does not seem right, and that there are conflicts with a master cylinder... For us, these things are everyday experiences in the context of designing bar systems... we work very hard to ensure that our kits address such issues... and I promise you we would not consider an application approved if it had these kinds of problems.

But honestly, its hard to know where to begin to address fitment issues when the kit is installed on a bike on which we've never installed it. We'd have to work through it sort of conceptually and using the imagination... and that might not be very accurate...

Meanwhile, the kit we are making for the 1000 incorporates our new DS7 triple clamp, riser adapters, and a choice of two or three risers. They'll be available in the next week or two...

That aside, I do understand your situation, and want to help come up with a solution... but from here, if its ok, we're getting down to specific arrangements to address a couple of different problems, and I'll do that off-list with you directly. So I'll write you shortly.

Thanks, Dean.

-Alfred

Alfred Kobacker, president
Cycle Cat division, Ideanamics, LLC
800 Morrison Rd.
Columbus, OH 43230 USA

+1-614-577-8080 ext 101

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to close this thread out then I'd like:

a) to thank Alfred for joining the DML just to reply to my specifric issue. Thats pretty cool. and,

b) Warn the M1000 riders out there that Motowheels at least (maybe others) are listing the DBR-13 as suitable for the M1000, when apparently it is not.

Cheers, Dean.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Kuddos Aldfed, very professional as always & extremely cool to join the DML just to respond to the post.

Dean: Thanx for the pics & I enjoyed the posts.

I'm looking forward to getting my DT7 & DBR23's.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Just to back up what Alfred said about the quality control at Cycle Cat...

I was an "early adopter of Cycle Cat products and there were a few tiny tool marks, etc on my early clip-ons, but they and the top triple clamp that I also bought were still far superior to anything else I had seen or have seen to date from another manufacturer. AND Alfred did also offer to make those right, but they were so close to being perfect that it wasn't worth it to me to exchange them.

I recently added CC rearsets to my Monster and put CC clip-ons and triple clamp on my SS. All of those parts were so pristine that I felt like hanging them on my wall instead of putting them on a bike where I'd mess them up.

I see high precision machined parts for use in nuclear applications everyday and none of them rival the quality of Cycle Cat parts. ;)

--Fillmore

1 - 20 of 30 Posts