Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been trying to install a set of sliders on my 1996 M900. It has been a chore, I got the go ahead from CC to reduce the dia. by .030 which I did. It still is not going on right, the internal dia of the frame bosses are out of round and compounded with the way the studs are going on the shaft everything is binding up. Has anyone encountered the same problem? If so what was your solution? Cycle Cat has excellent products and this is the first problem I have had. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If the nuts are not turning onto the studs freely then the threads of the stud are already buggered up. You will have to pull the stud and clean up the threads. The nut should as you surmised spin onto the stud with no effort and only start to tighten up when they have bottomed out in the frame. You can take a grinder to the inside of the frame boss and clean out the weld booger if that is the problem. You will want to clean it up and then paint it in there to prevent rust. Don't feel bad about having a problem the manufacturing techniques that Ducati uses leave a lot to be desired while most of the time things go together easy every once in a while the problem you found rears its ugly head.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Alex I will give it a go, I love your products as a matter of fact I just bought the clip on's and hopefully will be installing tomorrow. Looks like we both became full members on this post!

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
heh, my 1992 900ss had this big old chunk of aluminum in the middle of the cases. i don't know how they even got the stock bolt through. ::) had to use a LADB (long ass drill bit) and a 3 hp low rpm drill to get that "fixed". thanks, Ducati! ;D

·
Registered
223 Posts
i'm thinking about getting the cc frame sliders for my '02 750 dark. my mechanic estimated that it would take 1-2 hrs ($70-140) to put them on. does that seem a little high?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 hr no.,minimum, two depends on the frame work they might find.....it's an estimate right? Better to tell you 2 then 1......my 2cents.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've gotta dissagree... especially at a shop where they'll have stands, props, etc... it really shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour! all you've gotta do is put the bike on a stand, prop the engine so when you pull the forward bolt, it doesn't crash to the ground, and install the slider. loktite and torque to spec, then install the pucks. i did it at home in about 1 1/2 hours but that's cuz i used a car ramp and a bunch of old text books to prop the engine ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my point was simply it is an estimate...not that it would take 2 hours....it should take less than an hour....until you find surprises.....it is better to estimate high then low, at least in my profession.....surprises on ducs have been the norm for me......
I would rather a shop gives me the worse case scenario to base my decisions on.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine took about 2hrs to put on. The reason was because the left side boss was way out of alignment. I called CC and Albert said the nut had to be turned down. Luckily I have a lathe and was able to do it myself, it took a lot of installing and checking before I had it right. If everything was straight it would have taken about 1/2 hr tops from start to finish. Apparently Albert said he sees about 5% of the monsters really screwed up the rest are usually ok.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I installed my DS-9s today and it took about 30 minutes. The stock bolt came out rather easily.....and the rest was as easy as pie. The local mechanic said it would take about an hour at $72.50 per. I did have to break down and purchase a torque wrench but I really did need one of those.

Lee

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I'm the proud new owner of a beautiful torque wrench too. ;D ;D ;D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm thinking about getting the cc frame sliders for my '02 750 dark. my mechanic estimated that it would take 1-2 hrs ($70-140) to put them on. does that seem a little high?

Just got mine put on at the shop. $40 about 45 min

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay this is a good shop...........
So I went down today to Manley to pick up my bike and my c cat frame sliders were in.....so I went and plucked off the frame plugs to look at the bosses, all looked well......so I thought I would just do it myself.....Tony who works there said wheel it in let's take a look.....so we put er up on a stand.....and put a jack under the engine.......started to put things together and wouldn't you know it one of the bosses was too small, seems like way too much paint......Mike was there took one look and threw it on the lathe milled er down and had it all together in about 40 minutes......
So I asked how much I could pay them for helping me.....they just smiled and said strippers.....Mike was the same guy who in ten minutes made a custom spool for my Leo Vinci hangers when I got the c cat rear sets....So in less than hour
they lathed the part down to fit and put it together and charged me nothing....Then Fred came to work and showed me how to get the mold release off the new tires by smokin em in the street...:) Tom, Fred, Tony, Mike, Manley Cycle good guys.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts