Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 M750ie Dark. I am in the process of installing Cycle Cat clip ons model DBR-3 and am having a difficult time getting the left side to work properly. If I mount the turn signal/head light/horn control where the pre drilled hole is then I don't have enough room for the grip, it hangs over the bar end by about an inch. I talked to Cycle Cat about this and they asked me to look at the OEM handlebars and see where the pre drilled hole is. oddly enough, its the exact same distance from the end of the bar as the Cycle Cat clip ons. I guess this means that it should work. Am I missing something? In case everyone isn't familiar with the control that I am mounting it is the OEM control box. At almost the exact mid point of the control box on the inside is a nipple that is supposed to fit into the pre drilled hole on the clip on. If this nipple were located all the way to the left rather than in the middle I think the spacing might be closer to working. I know i could break off the nipple inside control but then it moves around on the bar and I don't really want to do that. Or i could drill another hole but that doesn't seem like the right thing to do. I know I must be missing something... Hopefully someone has the answer... Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been talking with Gary, is Alfred better?

keep at it and talk to Alfred on the phone. they folks at Cycle Cat are top notch.

also... keep trying different combinations. messing about with handlebars is among the trickiest things on motorcycles!

M

·
0 Posts
first hit up either alfred or alex for questions... if that don't work out to your satisfaction then just drill your own holes. but usually they are very good about responding to questions about those products. in my situation they sent me bars without the predrilled holes because of my mongrel ss... '96 900ss/cr, with '98 916 forks, '97 900ss/sp clutch, and a '99 900ssie brake... they figured it would be easier and i would be happier if i did the mods myself. ;D

·
Registered
426 Posts
>>oddly enough, its the exact same distance from the end of the bar as the Cycle Cat clip ons.<<

I don't mean to be insulting but could you be putting the switch back on upside down? The nub is at one end of the switch not the other I can't remember which. It is most like something embarrassing as CC has sold a lot of those and while they make mistakes they try to fix them as soon as possible. Don't be embarrassed sometimes nervousness from taking your baby a part can lead to silly errors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that would be embarrassing but I'm not putting it on backwards or upside down. The nub on my control is in the middle. I think older versions have the nub on one side or the other but not the 2002 version. Any other ideas???

>>oddly enough, its the exact same distance from the end of the bar as the Cycle Cat clip ons.<<

I don't mean to be insulting but could you be putting the switch back on upside down? The nub is at one end of the switch not the other I can't remember which. It is most like something embarrassing as CC has sold a lot of those and while they make mistakes they try to fix them as soon as possible. Don't be embarrassed sometimes nervousness from taking your baby a part can lead to silly errors.

R

·
0 Posts
Hey AJ

Perhaps a dumb question, but since you said the distance from the end of the bar to the hole matches the stock bar, what happens if you try to put everything back on the stock bar?
Sorry I can't be of much help.
But when I find myself in those situations I have found an answer sometimes by going backwards.
Hopefully someone here has been there done that.

M

·
0 Posts
But when I find myself in those situations I have found an answer sometimes by going backwards.
from a guy with the handle retro.... ::) too funny ;D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its sort of a long story... Baught the bike used, previous owner had upgraded (in his opinion) the handlebars and removed the nub from the control box. Control box rotates on bars. Then i crash due to some horribly placed gravel. bars are bent and control box is screwed. buy a new 2002 OEM control and purchase cycle cats clip ons. can't make it fit. seller sends me original OEM bars that he removed prior to selling me the bike. Working backward yeilds the same results as the cycle cats. something must be wrong? Anyone else know if they have a control box with nub all the way to the left ranther than in the middle?

Hey AJ

Perhaps a dumb question, but since you said the distance from the end of the bar to the hole matches the stock bar, what happens if you try to put everything back on the stock bar?
Sorry I can't be of much help.
Hopefully someone here has been there done that.

M

·
0 Posts
fwiw i have a the "nipple" located on the left side of the of the switch assembly on my 96 900ss. now the '01 s4 had the nipple directly in the middle of the switch assembly. sounds to me you may have gotten a wrong part number possibly for your switch assembly. my advice would be to drill your own locators if the assembly you have works. there's probably some poor soul out there that can't figure out why his clutch mastercylinder won't mount up because the pin is all the way to the left on his new switch assembly. anyway the hole will be underneath and the switch gear will probably cover it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts