Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a couple of track days now, and I need some advice on technique on how to get my times down.

some background...
I feel that I am pushing the bike to its limits, but am I really?
The track I ride on is a MotoGP track, and we ride with time transponders. There is no slow or fast groups, and we mix it up quite a bit, from the newbie guys that lap at 3;00 to the average guys at 2:35 - 2:45 and then the fast guys at 2:20 - 2:30, with the Moto2 guy and other racers at around 2:06 (GP time is 1:55). With the S4RS the best I get is 2:47.

My question is, am I running the bike at its full potential, or can I still cut laptimes? I feel as if I am pushing it hard, and can ride faster capabillity wise.

When do u know the limit of the bike? I am leaving black sliding lines on my corner exits, knees are scraping on most corners, riding position seems fine, as I move easily on the bike.

I have not lost the front end yet, and hopefully wont, just added a diablo supercorsa back tyre.

The extremes I felt was a controllable wobble on fast exits.

Any advice on how to get quicker on the track? I dont expect 2:06 but 2:35 puts me in a nice flow with the other riders.

Any track advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hold your speed just a sec longer and do inline braking and accelerate smoothly as your leaving the apex to full throttle. go as wide as you can then turn in and get as close to the center of the apex and pull out accelerating. once your less than 40 degrees of angle be getting to full throttle. and tuck as close to under the windsheild as possible.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you hit the nail on the head. I can probably get closer to hitting the apex. getting on Full throttle gets a bit scary, cos when I rollon to full then I get a slight wobble that I can ride out, but i am always worried this will turn into a slapper, so I roll upto 3/4 throttle until I'm in a straight line, then get on the last 1/4.

How do I avoid that wobble?

My suspension is setup quite hard on rear compression, and softer on the front, sag is spot on.

Is the way to avoid it in technique or bike setup?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
do a turn more on the front suspension needs to be slight stiff with decent rebound. try not to be stiff in the arms, thats a big one. and slightly lighten the rear. seems like the back isnt asorbing any of the G's coming out of the turn. and also Do you have a steering dampener.

On my 05' S4R i have it pretty stiff in the front stiff in the back. sag is perfect for my weight, rebound is heavy stiff for the front and medium in the back. no dampener. and im usually at full throttle at 25 to 35 degrees of lean no wobble or sliding. on Piolet power 2 ct's and a way to get around some or the harsh lean angles is go real wide, hit the mid point of the turn(apex) as close as possible(0 brake starting on throttle) start leaning back up(15 to 25 percent) less than 40 degrees lean 50 to 65% throttle than under 30 degrees of lean 70 to 80% throttle anything under 20 degrees 100% throttle. thats what i have been doing and my lap time are consistent cant get much better unless i can get more poer out of my bike or alot less weight. lol

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will adjust the suspension a bit stiffer on the front, as the front dives quite a bit, and soften up the rear. Makes sense in terms of better balance of the suspension. I think that might be the problem with it not being able to absorb the G's on the back, and not squatting enough on exits.

Dont have a dampner on.

I was getting the slide effect on my 2CT's, and have replaced the rear now with a Diablo Supercorsa SC2. Should give me more grip on the rear. Only thing Im worried about...will the rear overpower/overgrip the front stock 2CT?

I get what you are saying on the smooth throttle control out of the corner. I am quite smooth ...I think :) Just getting to the point of full open earlier...must be a "no guts, no glory"thing..lol

Doing a track night this weekend. Will let you know how it went.

Thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just some quick feedback from the track.

Adjusted the rear compression softer by 3 clicks, and increased the front compression by 1 click, and that solved the wobble issue. Thanks for the advice, it did wonders.

Was hitting the apexes spot-on, sometimes too close for comfort :) but it was spot-on the edge.

With the new SC3 on the back the bike turned in much smoother, and I had confidence to open up earlier and harder, and even got a couple of Full throttles out off the corners. Nice slide on the back, but stable and had a better feel for the bike with the SC3 and change in suspension setup.

The good news....from the times I have on hand, I dropped from 2:47.9 down to 2:44.8. Will have the final session time tmrw, which I think was my best session for the day.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, you definatly knew what you were talking about.:)

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Any time man Glad to help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts