Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I chopped my tail recently and am now suffering from the dreaded "high mount exhaust hanging out the back syndrome". I mean the mufflers appear to really extend out past the tail looking pretty weird. The exhaust is a Termignoni high mount by the way. I'm looking for advice on what to do and I see 4 options:
1: Sell the high mounts for low mounts. (cost prohibitive)
2: Trade the high mounts for low mounts. Anybody out there willing to trade for a similar exhaust? They exhaust is in great shape.
3: Cut the carbon cans to a shorter length to not hang over the tail. ( I hate to destroy such a pretty carbon exhuast)
4: Cut the steel pipe leading into the muffler to shorten it.(again destroying a nice exhaust but not the pretty carbon part)

What do you guys think? Anyone interested in a trade? Any and all advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Monster Hooligan,
Are you a Coastie? I see the Dolfin in the background. I'm an H-60 Navy guy myself. Thanks for the advice. How much did the cutting cost you?

G

·
rich, if you've got a pic of the cans, or a link that shows the same type, drop me an email. i may be able to help you out. cutting the cans isn't as aweful as you may think.

i'm sure if you WANT to swap the cans for lowmounts, that there'll be somebody interested in a trade. if you PREFER the high-mounts, it's certainly doable.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Allright, so I am leaning towards cutting the Termis shorter. Can I do this myself with a hacksaw in my garage or should I gain access to a bandsaw? I haven't taken apart the cans yet so I don't know what the inside looks like. I mean is it simply a matter of removing the end cap, cutting straight across the pipe, and refitting the end cap? The carbon fiber looks as if it would be easier to cut than metal. One last thing, if I only chop 3.5 inches or so are my can going to be obnoxiously loud? Thanks again.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I used a rented chop saw to cut down my stock exhaust. Went through easy and straight. I don't know how the cutting wheel would do with CF through. Might fray the edge pretty bad.

G

·
I should be more specific, I used a thin blade for this a typical chop saw blade will probably be too thick. Make sure you wear a resporator, that stuff is way nasty.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How does the end cap come off? Should I take a block of wood and mallet and hammer it off? I don't see any screws holding it on?

G

·
It should be fastened with rivits, just drill them out. If you haven't done that before make sure you don't use too big of a bit to start, work your way up.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I hope you haven't cut through a set of Termis yet! The carbon swells at the ends if you cut that off you won't be able to get the ends back in the tubes. So if you want to cut through some Termis save yourself the work and pitch them in the trash because that is what you are going to do eventually. I have nothing against shorter exhausts just look carefully. Real Termis have molded carbon tubes that get bigger at both ends for the caps to go in. Sell the Termis and buy something else to cut.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked at the ends and only the rear end is slight swollen. I mean its a very subtle swell. The end cap may be a bit loose after the cutting. The front does not appear to be swollen at all. Is there anything that will prohibit me from cutting the front instead of the rear? I think this may work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts