Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips? I've thought about covering the cutting area with some masking tape, and wearing a dust mask. Any other tips?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
whatever you do, use the mask...it is a MUST.

Do you have a dremel or some kind of highspeed cutting wheel?

·
Registered
38 Posts
what exeactly are you going to be cutting that is cf? Is it a flat piece, is it rounded like a fender? Like Duckets said, where a Mask. But if the piece is flat, you can use a jig saw and a fine toothed blade for metal work. Ive heard some people tape over the carbon fiber with masking tape then draw cut lines ontop, not sure if this is absolutely neccesary, but worth a try i would think. A dremel would be needed for more complicated cut such as curves, if using a dremel, buy the Diamond Wheel part# 545 or the carbide cutting and shaping wheel part# 542. Take your time and check measurements before starting the cut and im sure you'll do just fine.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
All of the above, but perhaps make a test cut way short of the final intended position, just to make sure your method and skills give the result you're looking for.

Tape will help prevent scratching the CF with the saw or whatever, and also help keep it from fraying (to a small degree).

G

·
Cut it outside with a shop vac hose next to it. Place the shop vac outside too. It works real good for small pieces.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the posts. I had a CF rear hugger that wa slightly warped. Pain in the a$$ as I would constantly think my rear wheel was misaligned. So I finally cut it down yesterday. Got some high rated dust masks and went to work with the dremmel. I first used masking tape and drew some rough lines of the relative shape I wanted and then went to town (by eyeball only using the center mount as the center point). Overall came out better than I though it would. Sanded it down and its pretty smooth. Only thing that sucked, was I slipped with the dremmel a few times which resulted in a couple of small scratches, oh well I'm not that picky. Going to mount it on the bike today to see how it looks on the bike. I'll post some pix soon.

G

·
You can wet sand the scratches out, the put a couple coats of automotive clear on top. It will keep the carbon from yellowing, as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts