Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, today I felt the need to clean up my ugly tail section on my bike. I was originally going to order the tail chop kit from the guy who is here on dml, but I really didn't want to chop the frame (just yet ;)). So I planned on taking the stock parts off and going to the dealer to purchase the dp mini tail. After taking all the stock pieces of that hold the license plate on, I decided to play around a bit and see if I could custom fabricate a holder.

I first removed all the stock pieces that hold the plate on the bike. I Then unbolted the four bolts that holds the beer tray (long plastic piece that has the turn signals on the side) from the under side of the fender. After that I bent the metal bracket that holds the stock reflector under the license plate, so that it was in an L shape. I did this with simple hand tools (so anyone can do it). Then lift the beer tray tail section of the bike off the bike (after removing the seat) and slide the half of the bent bracket that doesn't fit the plate holder on top of the frame and between the first set of screws and the second set of screws (the screws that hold the beer tray to the frame). Then place the beer tray back in the stock position and tighten the screws down again. The beer tray will hold the bracket in place once everything is tight. Bolt your license plate back on and vuallah. This is a cheap and easy way to clean the tale up without having to cut the frame. I know it may now be the best way to do this, but all is cost is a little bit of sun light. Besides, I need every dime I can to save for the quat D exhaust [cheeky] [clap] [thumbsup].

Here is what the final pics look like. 20 mins and no $ and you got a clean tail. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Hope this helps someone 8)

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Very nice and a common 1st mod to many monsters.

One tip, you might want to bend the angle piece so that the plate sits at a bit more of an angle. You don't want the rear tire scrapping the plate if you bottom out.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
slowpoke13 said:

One tip, you might want to bend the angle piece so that the plate sits at a bit more of an angle. You don't want the rear tire scrapping the plate if you bottom out.
+1

I learned this lesson the hard way.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Sieg said:
If you want to lean it up a bit more go with Clear Alternative brake and signal lens'.
I have that on my 900. I almost wish I had the stock rear fender setup, but it was cut by the previous owner so there is no going back :'(

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
BMiller said:
I have that on my 900. I almost wish I had the stock rear fender setup, but it was cut by the previous owner so there is no going back :'(
Not the chop, just the clear lenses. They blend well with the white stripe IMHO.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
slowpoke13 said:

Actually, with the location and angle of that plate, I don't think the suspension would even have to come close to bottoming out for the plate to hit the tire.

And with that angle I don't think it'd be a scrape. Some **** would probably really get bent up. [laugh]

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Very cool and timely :D

I was just looking at the tail section to see what could be done to clean up the back end without cutting or spending $$.

Thanks for the info. [thumbsup]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts