Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching high and low for a set of top shelf leathers. The problem is, in the Western New York area, there are NO shops that stock more than a couple sets at one time. There are no Dainese dealers at all.
So now I'm entertaining the thought of having a set custom set made. Does anyone know of any domestic custom suit manufacturers? I know about Vanson, but I'd like a couple choices. I really like the Dainese quality, fit and armor, but most of the ones I've seen are just too flashy. What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I've heard good comments on Syed Leathers, but don't have any FHE. If I remember right, they make custom stuff as well as of-the-rack. Some tracks and schools use them for rental leathers too.

I don't have a source or contact info on them.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Mind trying a custom Johnson? [smiley=laugh.gif]

I just got mine. It's a conservative cut, you could even go retro if you want. Top quality and protection. I know they take order from anywhere but some people even fly over to get it fitted. For a full featured 2-piece, about $1200, but you can go a little cheaper. about 4 weeks wait.

http://www.johnsonleather.com

There's also Helimot with around $2000+ price tag and 3 months wait, and Zooni, more affordable, even if not as famous, both in California and take orders remotely. They are more geared toward "racers" and are flashier, though you could ask for something more plain looking, and it will probably cost you less.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Syed is great. There's Z-Leathers at zcustom.com which is where I got my wife's when we couldn't find off-the-shelf stuff that fit her. They're in Huntington Beach which is far for you, but Syed and Vanson aren't exactly around the corner from you either.

Good prices, quick turnaround, excellent quality and reputation.

-R.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
There's also Helimot with around $2000+ price tag and 3 months wait, and Zooni, more affordable, even if not as famous, both in California and take orders remotely.
I was talking to Helmut, the owner of Helimot, a couple of weeks ago when they held a charity event. They repair other brands of leathers as well as their own, and they pay careful attention to any weaknesses that they see. They then make sure that their leathers don't have the same weaknesses. You can count on leathers from Helimot being the safest you can buy. They'll put as much or as little flash into a custom set as you want.

I bought my two-piece leather suit there, but it was off of the consignment rack, so it is a standard Alpinestar suit rather than a custom suit. It happened to have exactly the features that I wanted (except maybe price). I agree that it's hard to find leathers without a flashy design, but they do exist.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Herb Dainese has really cool non flashy suits including some Ducati ones. ....I will look for some links for you.
Bates is comparable to Vanson I think....I think Kushitani also does custom suits...?

http://tinyurl.com/ysyx2

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great input, guys. Looks like there's several viable choices here. I'll be doing some research now!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Check out the links on Webbikeworld.com. I can't link directly to the section that lists leather makers, so scroll down to the middle of the page, to the section titled, "Motorcycle Leathers"

Webbikeworld.com

The links are a mix of off-the-rack and custom, but it's a pretty extensive list.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Ted S4R picked up his new custom Bates jacket last week. It looks very good, and the quality looks to be top-notch. He went with a conservative, retro look to go with his blue and white S4R. I think he talked to Z-Leathers also before he settled on Bates. The price for the custom jacket alone was above that of a quality off-the-rack full suit...

http://www.batesleathers.com

http://www.zcustom.com/

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I have a Johnson Leather's custom jacket and it is made of very high quality leather. You have to really pay attention to fit when you get it as mine isn't quite right in that area, but the leather is second to none. I've been hit twice this year and gone down on the right hand side twice. I have yet to wear through the leather on the right hand sleeve almost at all. There is one white "hot spot" and a few other scuffs, but that's it. For protection i cannot recommend them more highly.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I went through Zooni Leathers, they are top shelf and make great custom leathers. Yes, they are expensive! So, is plastic surgery and skin grafs ;)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A high quality maker of lesser fame is Barnacle Bill's Racing Leathers http://www.racingleather.com. Bill's stuff is semi-legendary in the Eastern/Southern club racing world and is very top shelf. I've crashed the living crap out of his products and am a very satisfied customer. Bill Burns is an extremely nice man and honestly wants to make you a suit that will protect you and make you happy that you purchased his stuff. I recommend his wares without reservation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts