Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm planning to change the jacket I currently have (A* Spinner) with the following setup: a Dainese Jacket Wave-V Neck as body armor, and a leather jacket on top, from which to remove the protectors. I believe this will offer the best protection; body armor will stay on your body and cover almost all areas of hands/elbow/shoulder/ribs/collarbone/chest/neck and leather jacket will take care of the abrasion.

My question is: do the custom leathers (like Z-Custom) offer better protection than the mainstream leathers? I'm not talking about the fit, which should be better, but the leather quality/thickness, stiches etc.

I'm thinking to go custom, in case I cannot find a jacket to fit the setup I want.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In what way it is better? How can a small workshop compete with the likes of Dainese/A* who invest a lot in racing and development, and make better products?

I'm not yet convinced that Z-Custom for instance is making better equipment than Dainese.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
utzelu said:
In what way it is better? How can a small workshop compete with the likes of Dainese/A* who invest a lot in racing and development, and make better products?

I'm not yet convinced that Z-Custom for instance is making better equipment than Dainese.
too many variables and it depends on how you define "better".

i've seen (very very nice) dainese suits survive exactly one fall before they needed major repair or replacement.

i've seen vanson suits used for seasons of crashing (and i'm not talkin about spidey here) that are still structually sound.

now, from my observations, the dainese leather is super thin. their suits are relatively light because of it.

vanson, on the other hand, uses a thicker leather and is therefore heavier.

which will last you longer? it depends on your use.

for the same price as a full dainese suit, you can get a custom from somebody else.

(personally, if you just want to look pretty, get the dainese. if you want lasting protection, look elsewhere.)

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
btw, i mention vanson specifically because, with the lack of local custom suit options in texas, those were the most common in the club i raced in.

i'm sure some of the west coast guys will chime in here with their z-custom and helimot experience.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd define better in terms of protection it offers and how long it will last under normal use.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
utzelu said:
I'd define better in terms of protection it offers and how long it will last under normal use.
in the case of protective gear, "normal use" should involve a (possible) trip to the pavement or two. [cheeky]

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
A custom suit is just that, custom fit to you. Very little room to slide around inside the suit. So essentially the suit take the brunt of the impact is that the padding that stays where it should.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
ducman851 said:
A custom suit is just that, custom fit to you. Very little room to slide around inside the suit. So essentially the suit take the brunt of the impact is that the padding that stays where it should.
yup.. you still have to take the quality/thickness of the leather and the stitching into account.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
derby said:
yup.. you still have to take the quality/thickness of the leather and the stitching into account.
That's exactly what i'm talking about: leather thickness and stiching... Custom fit is by default better... but it matters less if you go down and the jacket burst open because of poor stiching...

This is why I want to get feedback from you guys.

·
Registered
233 Posts
derby said:
for the same price as a full dainese suit, you can get a custom from somebody else.
I have yet to see any custom leathers that can be had for under $1000 and there are several Dainese suits available in those prices.

I have also only heard good things about the older Vanson products and teh general consensus is that just about all their newer pieces pale in comparison to the old stuff. There have been more than a few threads on DML about this very issue.

All this being said, I think that a custom suit is the best way to go for certain folks. If you put in a lot of track time, then the investment is worth it. Personally I can't see myself spending enough time on a track to justify the cash for a custom suit and will happily deal with high quality street gear that can zip together for if I do go to the track.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Templar said:
I have yet to see any custom leathers that can be had for under $1000 and there are several Dainese suits available in those prices.
what new dainese suits can be had for <$1000. i was figuring $1000-1500 for a "current model" dainese suit.

Templar said:
I have also only heard good things about the older Vanson products and teh general consensus is that just about all their newer pieces pale in comparison to the old stuff. There have been more than a few threads on DML about this very issue.
yeah. my comment wasn't an endorsement of vanson at all (for the reasons you site, plus others). that's why i made a followup comment.

Templar said:
All this being said, I think that a custom suit is the best way to go for certain folks. If you put in a lot of track time, then the investment is worth it. Personally I can't see myself spending enough time on a track to justify the cash for a custom suit and will happily deal with high quality street gear that can zip together for if I do go to the track.
if you're an "off the rack" guy, no need to go custom. if you're not, custom is your best bet.

either way, i'd refrain from wearing a 2pc (zipped together or not) on the track.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not taking into account Vanson, as the latest feedback from the forum members is not very good... I even sent them few emails a couple of months ago, asking for details about the custom sizing. Never received reply from them.

I'm not interested in suits either, as I'm not into track days... I'm doing only commuting and weekend rides. Still, I'm not saving on safety, so I'm looking for the best. I'm ordering the Wave-V Neck armor from Dainese to be worn under leathers, and I'm almost sure of-the-shelf jackets won't fit because of that. Hence the reason I'm investigating the custom market.

·
Registered
233 Posts
derby said:
what new dainese suits can be had for <$1000. i was figuring $1000-1500 for a "current model" dainese suit.

http://www.dainese.be/prices/motorcycling.htm

There are several current 1 and 2 piece Daineses that can be had for under $1k.

Also, don't take my statement about 2 pieces as an endorsement. I know that on the track a one piece is vastly superior.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Well I have a Vanson (old school) suit that has been crashed in a few times. Its still serviceable and subs as my back up suit now. I recently had a custom suit done by Kelcey at NJK. It is absolutely fantastic and I love it. The fit is superb and the construction is well above par. I also have, for daily street riding a 2 pc Alpinestars suit that also serves me well.

The best advice I have is, buy the best gear your wallet can afford.
Heres a few pics

Vanson (note scuffs)

NJK

Alpinestar

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another question for all: do you think that by wearing a body armour (like Dainese Wave-V Neck) under a motorcycle leather jacket (from which you remove the protectors) would improve the safety? Would the armour stay in place in case of a crash?

Aren't the racers from MotoGP wearing such body armour under the suits?

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
utzelu said:
Another question for all: do you think that by wearing a body armour (like Dainese Wave-V Neck) under a motorcycle leather jacket (from which you remove the protectors) would improve the safety? Would the armour stay in place in case of a crash?

Aren't the racers from MotoGP wearing such body armour under the suits?
i doubt it... all their suits are custom fit so their armor stays where it's supposed to anyway.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is appealing to me on the Dainese's armour is that the coverage is a lot more than the protectors inside any jacket. Beside the elbow and shoulder armours, there's the chest/colarbone padding, neck support and backprotector.

I have a friend who's using such a body armour during the summer, without a jacket and on a crash with a car he had no scars, wounds whatsoever but the chest padding was scratched (dented) during the impact (most probably from the contact with the handlebars). So I'm putting the chest protection high on my list, as well as the back protection.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
While I do not have any experience with custom leathers, I would assume that the nature of a suit's construction - bespoked or of-the-rack - would have little impact on that piece's general level of protection. I say this because tailors tend to prefer a certain type of leather and will use it in both their standard and custom products. For example, the leather of a standard Vanson jacket is of high quality, and it is employed in their custom work as well. The same can be said for Dainese. The effectiveness of a suit's leather has more to do with the leather, and that is determined by a tailor's preference for a particular leather, not how the tailor employs it.

That being said, I would also assume that a custom piece fits better, and that fact alone would provide some added - though probably marginal - protection. The better the fit, the more likley it is to cover all the right places in all the right ways, and therefor provide better protection. Then again, I had a pair of custom boots made by Wesco and I can say that it probably wasn't worth the extra cash.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
This thread makes me wonder if there's a place that can tailor off the shelf leathers. I have this rev'it jacket that fits a bit a loose on the shoulders and waist. It probably wouldn't be alot of work for someone to do some slight alterations, I just want to make sure its a place that is experienced so that I don't jeapordize the strength of the jacket.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts