Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I gotta put a new rear on my S2R 1000.
Quoted $464 for a Michelin Road 5. 180.55.17. Installed.
What would that tire cost where you?
Living in Hawaii is costing too much!

The front 120x70x17 was $358. Installed

·
Super Moderator
822 Posts
Do you have a few friends who ride? If so, it might be worth looking into a tire changer and static balancer. I use a NoMar Tire Changer and static balancer which is safe for expensive wheels. In your case, the pricing reflects retail tire price with $45 installation (or discounted tire price with $135 mounting/balancing fee), give or take depending on your street price/sales tax/GET.

The tire you specified has a normal retail cost of around $302 IIRC. On sale at places like Cycle Gear and Revzilla (same parent company) for $215 right now which is almost closeout pricing IIRC. This price may reflect the intro of the Road 6 which is similarly priced, albeit likely as an introductory price instead of closeout.

For reference, I would have paid about $230 for the tire you were quoted, installed. That is with me mounting/balancing the tire. HTH

Edit: pricing

·
Registered
13 Posts
A 180.55.17 Road 5 in France costs € 150 plus fitting which would be another € 15 approximately

So 165 euros

at todays exchange rate that’s about 175 usd

seems you are getting ripped off……..

·
Super Moderator
822 Posts
A 180.55.17 Road 5 in France costs € 150 plus fitting which would be another € 15 approximately

So 165 euros

at todays exchange rate that’s about 175 usd

seems you are getting ripped off……..
I'm guessing the freight/tax/etc. of a French-made tire is cheaper in France. In fact, I'll wager that US dealer cost of that tire is more than $175.

·
Super Moderator
822 Posts
Addendum/Correction:

Michelin Road 5 GT: $360 Retail, $261 Current Street Price

Michelin Road 5: $302 Retail, $215 Current Street Price

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, everything is expensive in Hawaii!
Always wondered why gas was more expensive in LA Cali areas!?
Maybe the taxes.
Not familiar with the road 5 GT tire......

·
Super Moderator
822 Posts
Lol, everything is expensive in Hawaii!
Always wondered why gas was more expensive in LA Cali areas!?
Maybe the taxes.
Not familiar with the road 5 GT tire......
GT is for heavier bikes

We have the highest state taxes on gas, and we have different fuel formulations (to burn cleaner) depending on time of year. Plus I'm convinced our politicians own stock shares in companies that produce anal lube.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I gotta put a new rear on my S2R 1000.
Quoted $364 for a Michelin Road 5. 180.55.17. Installed.
What would that tire cost where you?
Living in Hawaii is costing too much!
That's reasonable, I've been paying $300+ since I've been riding, starting back in 2004 for a rear tire bought and installed.

·
Registered
296 Posts
GT is for heavier bikes

We have the highest state taxes on gas, and we have different fuel formulations (to burn cleaner) depending on time of year. Plus I'm convinced our politicians own stock shares in companies that produce anal lube.
haha, man that was good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts